2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Recommended first Sponge - is there such a thing?  (Read 1543 times)

Offline MasonRob

• I'd rather be on the gulf
  • Fry
Recommended first Sponge - is there such a thing?
« on: July 11, 2011, 15:43:15 »
So far (after 6+ months) I haven't made too many mistakes or killed too many things.  Have lost a few fish (disappearing gold head gobbies). but after the buying the third (and final) one about 2 weeks ago and not seeing him again after day 1 I won't be buying any more of those.  (Read my other posts today concerning questions about bristle worms and could they be getting my gobbies...)

Looking to get a sponge - something colorful and cool.  Have never had a sponge before so...
Suggestions?  What do I feed them (micro plankton I imagine but...)?  How often, etc.
What should I keep them away from?  Any and all advice welcome.

In my 30 gal tank (and 10 gal sump) I have (not counting snails and hermits) a few red peppermint shrimp, a coral banded shrimp, purple annenome, 2 clown and 2 green chromous fish.  So far.

Offline The WuSue

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Recommended first Sponge - is there such a thing?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 21:02:52 »
I'm not sure if anyone here is really a sponge expert (no offense to all the sponge experts that I don't know about). But if you get a chance to get to Phishy Business is Gahanna they have a seahorse and sponge tank that is breath taking. The owner of the shop is a sponge collector and brought in a few from his home tanks. It'd be as good a place as any to get info.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 22:05:28 »
Here is some pics of it. Haven't seen it in person but it does look great. Phishy Business Seahorse Tank

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 23:04:56 »
I consider myself a sponge expert,I have watched hundreds of sponge bob episodes. According to dr. Ron Shimek most sponges need bulk laminar flow lower light and bacteria aggregates for food(crabby paties are good too)many sponges do not seem to like surge flow

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 23:41:22 »
I consider myself a sponge expert,I have watched hundreds of sponge bob episodes. According to dr. Ron Shimek most sponges need bulk laminar flow lower light and bacteria aggregates for food(crabby paties are good too)many sponges do not seem to like surge flow

This is the funniest post that I have seen from you :)

I keep a variety of Blue sponge that breaks the rules. VERY bright light and can handle more flow than average. In my opinion sponges will do better in a LPS \ softy dominate tank just because the water is a little "dirtier" than the pristine water found in SPS tanks   
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 15:57:35 »
I think the only reason he calls for low light is that many sponges are prone to be over taken by algae.