2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Well, this sucks ..  (Read 3818 times)

Offline Sunny

• Adult
Well, this sucks ..
« on: October 06, 2011, 22:15:24 »
Noticed today, both of my Cleaner Shrimp have died.  I don't know if it was because of the filters in the RO were bad or what.  Everything in the RO has been changed. We did a water change with the 0 output water on Monday.  Plus one of my Bangaii Cardinals has died also.  I checked the water today.  Everything was 0.  PH 8.2  Salt  1.026
All the other fish seem fine.   How long do Cleaner Shrimp usually live?  These were over 2 years old.

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
Re: Well, this sucks ..
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 22:30:57 »
are you sure they died or did they just molt?
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 22:37:08 »
They are no where to be found.  I don't have a huge amount of rocks in there.  And they have always stayed behind one rock until the lights were out.   I've seen them molt before.  A brittle Star wouldn't eat them, would he? 

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 22:40:58 »
sorry to hear that
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 22:58:56 »
Thanks ... 

Offline rancoo

• Adult
Well, this sucks ..
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 23:06:48 »
I have a brittle star and I am pretty sure it ate my watchman goby, if I can ever find mine hes heading to my already full sump
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 01:29:21 »
They only way that brittle star would eat a goby is if it were already dead or dying.  They don't actively hunt live food.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 08:43:59 »
They only way that brittle star would eat a goby is if it were already dead or dying.  They don't actively hunt live food.

That's good to know :) 

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 08:44:47 »
What kind of brittlestar is it... Brittlestars in general are considered predators, though most won't actively hunt fish in the tank, and size seems to be a big factor in the fish eating department.  Greenbrittle stars have been documented eating fish, once they archieve a larger size... Most may be clumsy at it, some way more proficient; but either way it's a matter of time....

Most have been reported as eating the fish at night, and they usually display unique behaviors which could warrant concern for it's ability to hunt your fish... The will suspend themselves in a fish's sleeping area waiting for the fish to calm down before dropping down on it... they also will sit perched waiting for a fish to swim under them(best way to describe the way they look here is to imagine them making a vertical cage out of their appendages and holding this position for a long duration, or attempting to trap or grab any fish who swims through the cage)...

It is a possibility for a brittlestar to eat a fish, and some unfortunate few have recorded it...
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 08:56:48 »
This is mine when I put him in the tank.  He has moved to the back corner of the tank and stays there.  You just see his arms come out from the rocks when I feed.

Offline rancoo

• Adult
Well, this sucks ..
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 10:56:15 »
the brittle star I have looks like that one except it is black I got mine from reefs2go.com the scientific name is ophiocoma paucigranulata
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 11:30:34 »
This is the guy that when we put him in the 90, he went in the overflow and lived there for 2 years until we set up the 220.  They are super cool creatures. 

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 11:39:02 »
when you changed your membranes did you leave the RO unit run for a while before collecting usable water.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 12:08:26 »
Yes, but the first membrane we got, from Home Depot, turned out to be the wrong one.  It was an 18 GPD membrane.  Made for refrigerators I think.  We went ahead and used the water from that for a water change.   It was the same brand (GE) and it looked the same and it fit.  We took it back and I ordered the one that is suppose to be in there. Just got it and filling the drums now.  The instruction say to let it run for at least 2 hours before using the water.  We did that on both membranes.  Could it of been the first membrane?

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 16:43:09 »
I'm not to sure about the first one I will see if I can find anything out.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 16:54:19 »
OK, thanks :)

Offline referinohio

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 11:46:54 »
What kind of brittlestar is it... Brittlestars in general are considered predators, though most won't actively hunt fish in the tank, and size seems to be a big factor in the fish eating department.  Greenbrittle stars have been documented eating fish, once they archieve a larger size... Most may be clumsy at it, some way more proficient; but either way it's a matter of time....

Most have been reported as eating the fish at night, and they usually display unique behaviors which could warrant concern for it's ability to hunt your fish... The will suspend themselves in a fish's sleeping area waiting for the fish to calm down before dropping down on it... they also will sit perched waiting for a fish to swim under them(best way to describe the way they look here is to imagine them making a vertical cage out of their appendages and holding this position for a long duration, or attempting to trap or grab any fish who swims through the cage)...

It is a possibility for a brittlestar to eat a fish, and some unfortunate few have recorded it...
I have read this also on Wet WEb Media.com

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 11:51:46 »
Interesting.  When I had (don't have it any longer) a large Brittlestar I saw it do this behind my overflow once or twice.  This may explain some fish that I had that disappeared.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 11:53:41 »
I've been thinking this also.  The Star lives behind a rock in the corner where the overflow is.  The 2 Shrimps always hung out on that overflow.  They were within reach of his arms.  Just seems really weird that both died at the same time with no trace of them in the tank.  So sad ...  I was going to get another one, maybe he will go to the other side of the tank. 

Offline rancoo

• Adult
Well, this sucks ..
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 15:30:07 »
I need to catch my brittle star.
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 15:33:01 »
Scary, huh ....  I've had that Star for over 2 years.  He lived in the overflow of the other tank.  When we set this tank up, I just put him in the tank.  Thinking I should of put his butt in the overflow of this one too ...   What to do ...

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 15:41:23 »
Hmmmm, interesting.  I had a cleaner shrimp come up missing and "assumed" it died in the night of old age (It was very large and I have had it for a few years).  Ever since it died, it's mate stays at the top near the over flow ( I never saw either of them go up there before).  I have 2 red brittle stars in the tank one at each end for the most part.  I caught of of the stars trying to climp on the overflow (the opposite end as where the cleaner shrimp stays).  All of my lille gobies have come up missing too!   :hmmmm:

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 16:05:43 »
We are all going on a Brittle Star smack down now ..... lol    I'm thinking of banishing him to the sump .... 

Offline rancoo

• Adult
Well, this sucks ..
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 16:22:14 »
my yellow watchman is gone, the brittle starfish are very fast
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 16:42:33 »
My Yellow Watchman was on the side of the tank till the Star went over there.  Now he moved to the other side.    This is starting to scare the crap out of me now ....  I've had my Goby for a long time.  Don't want to lose him.

Offline rancoo

• Adult
Well, this sucks ..
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 17:24:14 »
I think it probably depends on the size of your goby, and how large the star is. The goby I had was only around an inch and a half or so
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2011, 07:22:23 »
My gobies were very tiny....