2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Barnacle  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Sunny

• Adult
Barnacle
« on: October 26, 2011, 17:27:04 »
Went to Darin's yesterday to get my Cheato and food.  While I was looking at his tank, I noticed the coolest (what I thought was a rock).  Angie told me it was a Barnacle from Florida.  I got to thinking I had something similar in my freshwater.  While at a consignment shop awhile back, I bought a bag of shells, in it was this odd looking thing.  I went home and cleaned it and put it in my freshwater tank.  Yesterday when I got back from Darin's, I looked at it again and it is a Barnacle.  A way smaller version of Darin's.  I put it in the saltwater tank and the Blenny quickly made it his home.  It is the coolest thing.

Offline HUNGER

Re: Barnacle
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 18:05:18 »
thats cool
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 18:55:41 »
Thats awesome ... I did the same thing for my goby :)
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 19:31:50 »
Cool!

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 19:35:32 »
thats awsome
90 gallon shallow

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 21:30:11 »
I talked to my Dad tonight.  I told him to walk out in that ocean and get me a bigger Barnacle.  He didn't know what one was ... good grief, the man has lived in Florida for 35 years.  He said he would go to the stores on the beach and see if anyone is selling them.  He can't swim ... lol 

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 23:43:18 »
they sell them all over down in Florida, there are also several websites you can find that ship them, Ive even seen them with Purple strips on them before, they were really cool.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 01:05:39 »
Well, hopefully he will find one.  I tried to describe it, so we'll see what I end up with.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 06:35:46 »
Sunny, where in Florida does your Dad live?

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 09:08:49 »
He's in Tamarac.  It's near Ft. Lauderdale.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 09:19:58 »
Ahhh, ok.  I go to Destin/Navarre a lot.  That's in the Panhandle.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 09:48:49 »
I haven't been to Florida in a long time.  My sister goes every year, wish I would of known about this barnacle thing before she went this year.  But, kinda anxious to see what he sends me .... lol  I did stress the fact that it was to be a dead barnacle .... lol

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 11:10:40 »
I haven't been to Florida in a long time.  My sister goes every year, wish I would of known about this barnacle thing before she went this year.  But, kinda anxious to see what he sends me .... lol  I did stress the fact that it was to be a dead barnacle .... lol

I'm in Florida for a couple of days on business.   I can look for you, what size are you looking for?   From what I have seen in the past, they are all very similar in size, it's more the amount that are in the cluster.   If I remember right, I have a cluster at home with about 5 or 6 barnacles.

One word of caution.   These things are detritus traps.......you will need to blow them out occasionally,

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 11:32:08 »
Thanks Wall_Tank,  I'll just wait and see what he sends.  This will give him something to do anyway.  The one I have is small, it has 4 barnacles.   I always use a turkey baster and blow out the rocks when I change the water, so I'll do the same with this.
Thanks for the offer :)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 14:13:41 »
when i have seen them for sale they were only like 5 to 10 for the big ones
SIZE DOES MATTER