2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Green BTA  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Green BTA
« on: September 14, 2012, 20:06:54 »
I am wondering if my bta is really a bta. It has no bulbs on it. Juts long green tenticals with purple tips. Is something wrong with it maybe?

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Green BTA
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 20:24:12 »
Mine would lose its bubbles and then they would come back. From my understanding, most seem to lose their bubbles. If we could solve the problem we would be rich $$$ :)
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 22:33:54 »
I used to have 3 BTA's and the only time they seemed to bubble was after water changes and feedings.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 00:10:09 »
Tis the great mystery of the BTA.  There is no reason why they bubble or don't.

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 07:24:33 »
 mine likes alot of light.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 08:07:53 »
He is about 6" from the serface of the water. And the crazy thing went walk about for weeks & that's the spot he chose. 

Offline volcano

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 15:01:14 »
There are many speculations as to why BTA have or do not have bubble tips.  For example, some claim that the anemones form bubble tips when there isn't enough flow, they are not being fed well, or water parameters are off.  Others claim it is from shock, i.e - water changes, new tank, etc.  Personally, I can't say if any of that is true.  I know my RBTA had bubble tips when I first got it.  Once it was established it formed nice, long tentacles.  When it split it also formed bubbles.  IME, it seems perfect water quality equals no bubbles.

Here is what I have researched:  "Loss of "bubbles" has been speculated to be due to insufficient light, current, feeding, presence of host fish/es, reaction to competitive influence/s... At this moment "the jury is still out" on this issue. The degree of bubbled-ended-ness does seem to be positively correlated with more current, less feeding, the presence of symbionts and other Cnidarians though. The bubbliness is evidently not a matter of life/death, good/bad... as specimens of both can/do well, and they do change back/forth at times from no apparent provocation."  -

Shimek, Ronald L. 2003

Offline volcano

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 15:03:26 »
mine likes alot of light.

Mine does too!  In Fact, mine worked it's way to the top of the rockscaping as close to the lighting as it could.  Once there, the bubbles disappeared.   After a water change, it may from bubbles for a short period of time, but then right back to the long tentacles.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 15:15:12 by volcano »

Offline jeremy

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 11:29:28 »
Mine has had bubbles since I picked it up at the Ohio Reef frag swap early this year.  It split last week and both have bubbles, though one has moved to a lower flow area in the tank.  I feed it once or twice a month and do water changes ever couple weeks, but I've never seen it loose the bubbles.

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 12:08:42 »
if anyone is looking for green bta i have  6 or 7 of them i would like to get rid of they are all sizes one huge one all the way down to a golfball size