2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Saltwater rookie here.  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Doug.monnin

• Fry
  • Rookie
Saltwater rookie here.
« on: April 25, 2013, 13:51:04 »
Hello all,

New to the group.

I entered the hobby (I call it the money pit, in January). My wife and I had a freshwater setup for several years and decided to convert. We sold the 46 gal bow front and located a 65 gallon on craigslist. the tank came with about 30 lbs of live sand, 35 lbs of live rock, 20 gallon sump, Hermits, snails and fish. The fish included 2 clowns, coral beauty, damsel, six line wrasse, two bartlett's anthias, and a hippo tang (I know, I know, NOW, that the tank isn't big enough for the tang , shes small  right now and I will be forced, by the better half, to upgrade to a bigger tank for "Dora").

I disassembled it, moved it 15 miles, and set it up temporarily in my heated garage while we waited for new carpet to be installed. Now the fun began. After a few weeks I way over payed for about 15 lbs of live rock at the LFS, a week later I found Ich on the tang. So I ran back to the LFS and spent another 80 bucks on No-ich, of course that didn't work.

I was shocked to find out that I would need to do copper treatment of all fish in a hospital tank, and leave the tank fallow for 6 to 8 weeks. Not having an extra 30 gallon laying around, I decided to do a sort of reverse hospital tank by taking out all the live rock, sand, and inverts, I stored them in a large container with heat and flow. I treated the main tank with cupramine for 21 days, my hope was that the bioballs in the sump would keep amonia under control.... I was wrong... within a few days ammonia started rising, the water changes commenced, my day pretty much consisted of changing 20 to 30 gallons of water, then spending the rest of the day running enough RO/DI water for the next.

After a week  I added a canister filter  to the setup, after another week or so ammonia stabilized. It was pretty much smooth sailing for the next several weeks while I let the rock and sand go fallow. Of course friends and family thought we were nuts, a 65 gallon tank in the garage, with nothing but fish and PVC fittings. I did a combination of big water changes, cuprasorb, and carbon to pull out the cupramine.

After 8 weeks, i scrubbed out the tank with vinegar and moved it to my living room. I added an additional 30 lbs of dry (Largo) rock, ( Im still pretty convinced I picked up the ich from the LFS live rock....... never again), I slowly removed the bio balls.  Things went pretty well, no cycling, no deaths (my wife would have killed me if "Dora" had died).

I've read mixed reviews about coppering a tank and then using it some day for coral, after five weeks I have not had a any inverts (Snails, shrimp, crabs and a small zoa) show any ill effects. I will keep running cuprasorb and carbon for the next several months. Give things a six months or so to settle down then try a few beginners corals.

The Coraline is growing like crazy, fish are eating like pigs, and best of all no white spots.

Long story short, it only took me 3 months for my tank to move 20 feet, from it's temporary location to its new home.

Being a newbie, I'm sure I'll have questions that need answered. So far, even after starting off with a disaster, I still love my little bit of the ocean in my living room.

Offline Viggen

Re: Saltwater rookie here.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 14:10:31 »
Welcome to a fun, addict ing and yes expensive hobby :)

I bet the lr you added indirectly brought out the ich.  The lr probably caused your ammonia to spike and your fish didn't like it thus ich.  Adding 15# to a tank with 35# I am sure your old lr couldn't keep up.  Do you have a protein skimmer?  That can help keep the h20 quality in check.......

Live and learn...... I have made a few mess ups over the years as well. 
300g tub o fish

Offline Doug.monnin

• Fry
  • Rookie
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 14:15:59 »
Nice to meet you Viggin. The LFS advised me that adding the rock would be fine. I'm learning not to listen to the LFS. Yes I have added an AquaC Urchin to the sump.

I have read non stop since getting the tank. Learning lots. The main thing I'm learning is that if you ask a question you will get exactly as many conflicting opinions as the number of people you ask. 8)

Offline Viggen

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 14:27:12 »
Yea, ask 100 people for a answer to a question and you can get 101 answers :)

Usually there will be some die off when lr is moved from one tank to another.  I added 40-50# of lr to my tank and didn't have any issues, however I already had 300-350# in there and its a 475g tank with a very light fish load. 

There are lots of very knowledgable peop,e on this site so always ask away.  Much better to trust opinions here (which are conflicting at times) vs some lfs sales people.  Some do know their stuff but most are not familiar with the salty side of the hobby, that especially if that lfs you are referring to is jacks.  A few people at gerbers seem pretty knowledgable.

300g tub o fish

Offline Doug.monnin

• Fry
  • Rookie
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 14:31:30 »
The one thing I'm learning is that whenever you do anything....do it slow.

Offline Sonnyred

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 14:53:28 »
Welcome to the club. Yes patient is the key. I made a lot of expensive costly mistakes when I first started and well I still kind of do but it's a little better lol. I also find doing research prior making a move can save you emotionally, mentally, and financially. This club has been great to me and I hope the club can be great for you and everyone as well :)

Offline itsalifestyle

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 15:21:36 »
Welcome

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 15:23:37 »
Well now that u fixed your ich problem better get a qt setup before more livestock is added. I'm currently running my tank fishless because I never qt and it caught up to me. Now I have a qt and I'm using hypo to kill ich. 

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline Doug.monnin

• Fry
  • Rookie
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 15:45:16 »
Thanks Charlie,

I have a QT set up and cycled, no more fish for a while since i think I might already be over stocked. I do need a cleanup crew though and have seen conflicting opinions on whether I should QT snails. Any advice?

Offline Doug.monnin

• Fry
  • Rookie
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 15:45:59 »
Good luck with your ich. I know how you feel.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 20:35:33 »
Welcome Doug, sounds like it has been the standard induction to the hobby for you. We all went through it. Welcome to Ohio Reef.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 21:31:12 »
Welcome to Ohio Reef Doug! Glad you are here.
Chromiumlux

Offline volcano

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 22:13:50 »
Welcome to the club!  Hopefully your crypto days are over now.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 19:13:36 »
Ollo & welcome to Ohio Reef!

Offline Harleybronco

• Juvenile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 21:46:29 »
Welcome

Offline bbtm64

• Lifetime Premium Member