2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Phosphate issue  (Read 11039 times)

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
Re: Phosphate issue
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2011, 13:45:21 »
it might be best to go to algaescrubber.net because just like many other threads on RC, its congested with a million posts. But the first couple posts are main key points.

:hmmmm:  Kinda like how this thread got off track

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2011, 16:11:45 »
TOAST :o !
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2011, 16:40:58 »
:hmmmm:  Kinda like how this thread got off track

+ like 1000.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2011, 22:05:26 »
Darin, Randy said he doesn't think we have the space right now until he changes a few things.  Doesn't think he will be ready next week.  The "honey do" list is a bit long right now!  LOL

Now back to your scheduled phosphate issue topic!  :D

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2011, 18:05:30 »
Yesterday I finally got around to making a change. The tank that is full of the suspected rock is no longer inline with the rest of the system. If that tank phosphates go up and the main tank goes down than it would likely prove rock is issue. However as someone mentioned the phosphates have likely been absorbed by the good rock. Time will tell. Thanks for all the suggestions and will keep posted on changes.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2011, 20:48:46 »
i started dosing reef bio fuel again , just a maintenance and it is taking care of the overflows which is where  mine is

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2011, 09:19:39 »
Thanks Larry, it looks like good stuff. I use MB7 but will look into this instead.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2011, 11:43:33 »
i started dosing reef bio fuel again , just a maintenance and it is taking care of the overflows which is where  mine is

Larry how long have you been dosing this?  Do you think it works better/cheaper than phosban?

Offline larrynews

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2011, 12:57:03 »
i use it instead of vodka, i used back when i changed my tank over and hair algae real bad and it took care of it, now i'm using it again to help with algae growing in the overflows....

http://www.marinedepot.com/Brightwell_Aquatics_Reef_Biofuel_Liquid_17oz_500mL_Bacteria_Water_Treatments_Conditioners-Brightwell_Aquatics-BW01230-FIADWTBS-vi.html

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2011, 13:07:19 »
So that would be about 8 caps each day...I need to do some math and see how the $$$ comes out compared to phosban.  How long did you have to do this for your HA outbreak?

Offline larrynews

« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2011, 09:45:07 »
i think about 2 weeks then i just did it once or twice a week i cant remember, for maintenance so it wouldnt come back. i got it at first from rich at coral ranch, i'd check with him to see if he can get it.  how big is your tank and how bad it the problem???

Offline larrynews

« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2011, 09:48:12 »
Medium- to High-nutrient Systems: Add 5 ml (1 capful) per 50 US-gallons (189.3 L) [˜2 drops per gallon (3.8 L)] of aquarium water daily. Monitor concentrations of phosphate and nitrate with accurate test kits; phosphate and nitrate should eventually become immeasurable (or nearly so) when a balance is reached between the rates of nutrient-input and nutrient-assimilation. Thereafter, switch to “low-nutrient” dosage (below). Low-nutrient Systems: Add 5 ml (1 capful) per 100 US-gallons (378.5 L) [˜1 drop per gallon (3.8 L)] of aquarium water daily. With time, hobbyists may determine that decreasing the dosage and/or dosing frequency by up to 50% sufficiently maintains a low-nutrient environment. During changes in biological filtration or when increasing the aquarium bioload, dose 1 drop per 50 US-gallons daily for one week, then resume “low-nutrient” dosage.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2011, 10:28:48 »
wow  :o

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2011, 10:47:32 »
the problem is very minor at this time.  I over feed and can see some P04 issues coming on. 

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2011, 11:19:38 »
i have a similar issue as Brian cropping up, and am going to try Brightwell Katalyst.  They guys at Phishy Business are swearing by it and I'm going to order tomorrow.  Run it instead of GFO.  Seed using MB7.

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline larrynews

« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2011, 13:46:29 »
mine is just a nuisance on the over flow slots, thats why i just use it to maintain, i to over feed have for 7 years and dont see me stopping anytime soon.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2011, 17:49:57 »
These are all various forms of Carbon dosing.

Probably contain various forms of carbon.   Vodka, Sugar, Vinegar is just cheaper.   They appear to be diluted more, to reduce the risk of accidental overdosing.

I used Prodibio for a while, with good results, I just opted for the cheaper VSV.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2011, 23:31:17 »
Update on my issue.

Recap... Having a Phosphate issue in my tank. Despite exporting phosphates via an unusual amount of Cheato growth/pruning excessive and large Water Changes tremendous amount of GFO the phosphate comes back. Typically takes about 1.5 weeks to exhaust 5 cups of GFO.

The suspects are.
A.) Rock that was purchased from another reefer who got out of hobby due to Algae issue.
B.) Oatley Fixit stick used to create rockscape.

System consits of 125G display with minimal rock work. None of which is the suspect rock but contains the Oatley fix it stick. This tank is plumbed to a 75G tank full of the suspect rock and a 75g frag tank and 50 gallon sump.

The consensus was to isolate the suspect rock from main system to see identify where the issue is coming from.

On 7/28, took the 75 gallon tank with suspect rock out of the main system loop. Here are the results.

System A = 75g Tank full of suspect rock, cheato with 300w light on it, hang on back protien skimmer and Koralia 4.

System B = 125g Display with suspect Oatley Fix it Stick, 75g Frag Tank, 50g Sump, Reef Octopus Skimmer and plenty of circulation in all tanks. Also running 2 BRS GFO reactors with 5 cups of GFO.

Only Maintenace done during this duration of time was on System B. Did 55g Water Change on Aug 6 and replaced 2.5 cups GFO in one reactor.

Date      System A      System B   
   28-Jul      0.07      0.07   
   31-Jul      0.04      0.05   
   3-Aug      0.08      0.06   
   6-Aug      0.08      0.08   
   11-Aug      0.08      0.04   

Observations
The day the systems were split into two, the water parameters were identical. Over the next 3 days both tanks reduced phosphate level. This is un-explainable to me. System A then went to .08 and hasn't changed despite no water changes, no GFO in use on that system and marginal algae growth noticed. System B has continued to increase despite running GFO and heavy skimming. I am guessing the reduction shown from Aug 6 was due to Water Change and replacing expired GFO. Based on the results this far my hypothesis is that System B will start to rise again when GFO exhausts in the next week, no idea what will occur in System A. Thoughts?

Facebook Profile 
TikTok Profile

Shop Lazys Coral House  [/color]

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2011, 04:56:11 »
How much of the epoxy did you use?

Is the algae only growing in the main tank or is it growing in other tanks hooked to system B?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:35:26 by slandis3 »

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2011, 09:57:21 »
Here's a thought, and it's not an easy decision.  You may have already done it, but here goes.  You remember how I had to pull my tank down and clean up?  In looking at your tank, most of your corals have taken a heckuva hit. 

There's a cleaner solution that's reef safe that will clean any slime out of the plumbing, which may be contributing to your issue.  You can get it from Kim or online, and you can run it now to get ahead of the follow on recommendations.  I'm using it and it's working as advertised.  See link:
http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/Waste_Away/Algae_Slime/Algae_Slime.html

Make up enough water to replace the system water in the B system.  I know this in itself will take a lot of work. 

Pull out your livestock and your corals that you can save, and put them in that quarantine tank of yours.

Pull ALL of the rock, and all of the sand.  Wipe out the tank, plumbing, etc. 

Put in four bags of new live sand, leave the rock out, and get the system going again. 

After 48 hours and water test OK, return the livestock.  Leave the rock out.

This is what I did, and 95% of my n03 and p04 problems went away immediately and have stayed away.  You could have "mud" under your substrate that is contributing to this, the substrate is leaching out phosphate, and any other issues that this will fix.  I know it sucks, but best I can think of.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2011, 13:22:31 »
Have you tested your salt mix for phosphates? I know they all say nitrate and phosphate free, but I have read that some mixes still yield a decient phosphate reading  even though they claim this.

You may have answered this but have you recently changed any food or used any epoxy's on the tank?

I may have to agree with Kattz on this one, It may be laden in your substrate... how deep is it and how old?  When I had the 55gal I had a bad phos/trate problem and when I switched to the 90 I switched everything over EXCEPT the substrate. I chose to buy live from premium aquatics and my numbers dramatically decreased and remained low, and continued to fall... The number still isn't SPS worthy but it was a HUGE Change and I suspect the remaining amount is just what was left in the rocks.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 16:52:22 by Boonjob »

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2011, 16:02:34 »
i dont belive its the substrate cuz i have never had a Phosphate issue in my tank beside some bad salt i have 5 to 6 inchs of sand that has never been vacuumed in 6 years unless the substrate was in a tank for a long time with very high Phosphates and is now just leaching it out in the tank
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2011, 16:50:50 »
Porosity, componsition, history of tank, and other variables need to be considered.  Since we can't access most of this info, sometimes it's best to err on the side of caution.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2011, 16:54:57 »
I promise you it was the sand in my case(absolutely nothing else changed), if Todd would like to humor us he has that very same sand in the 55gal still he could always add some clean ro water to a small batch of it and test it with the sali kit...

I have also read numerous posts/articles about laden phosphates in brand new bags of carrib sea... anything decaying is gonna realease phosphates, I dont believe the sand will asorb this(per granule), but I do believe it can certainly trap and harbor it between the granules. If any food,snails, etc make it down deep enough into the sand I believe it could vary well release phosphates later down the road if distrubed or slowly leach out over time as organisms in the sand move them to the surface
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 17:00:54 by Boonjob »

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2011, 21:21:48 »
I promise you it was the sand in my case(absolutely nothing else changed), if Todd would like to humor us he has that very same sand in the 55gal still he could always add some clean ro water to a small batch of it and test it with the sali kit...

I have also read numerous posts/articles about laden phosphates in brand new bags of carrib sea... anything decaying is gonna realease phosphates, I dont believe the sand will asorb this(per granule), but I do believe it can certainly trap and harbor it between the granules. If any food,snails, etc make it down deep enough into the sand I believe it could vary well release phosphates later down the road if distrubed or slowly leach out over time as organisms in the sand move them to the surface

Yep I still have it in my garage and it is not cleaned out yet, still has the sand.  What did you want me to do with some of it?  Put it in some RO/DI and run what Salifert test on it????