2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Got schooled today  (Read 5065 times)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
Got schooled today
« on: September 04, 2010, 23:36:32 »
While visiting some not so local shops, had my water checked and found that the tests I'm using are not so great.  Found that my PH was OK at 8.2 like I thought, but had higher nitrates than indicated, phosphate was not at zero, and calcium was lower than indicated substantially at 380.

Bought some Salifert tests.  Seem to be much better than what I'm using.

Was advised by two shops to stop testing for ammonia.  "If you have ammonia, you don't have fish".

Told to test for alkalinity, calcium, salinity, ph, phosphates, and nitrates.  Screw the rest of the tests.

Also, there was a whole lot of worry that my sand bed was 2" in places and up to 5" in others.  Told to get rid of it immediately; take it down to 1" max due to concerns regarding anerobic bacteria.  We did so tonight, and in the process pretty much wrecked the tank. :angry4:

So, here I am going down a different road.

Kev
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 23:38:41 by kattz »
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Got schooled today
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 23:40:38 »
I think you got some good advice until I got down to the part about max 1" sand bed.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 23:41:13 »
I'm not happy.  Tank was beautiful.  Now just blase.  I also have about 50-60 lbs of good crushed coral that is live without any worms, algae, and so forth.  great stuff.  need to get rid of it.  ideas?
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 23:44:00 »
I've also been schooled to toss the idea of a calcium reactor for a 90g and dose two-part calcium and buffer using a dosing pump controlled by my Reefkeeper.  Thoughts?

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 23:46:54 »
I hate to whine, but I am flat po'd about taking out the sand.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 23:54:43 »
BTW, putting in a Phosban 150 reactor tomorrow to get rid of the phosphates. :o

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 23:56:43 »
I've also been schooled to toss the idea of a calcium reactor for a 90g and dose two-part calcium and buffer using a dosing pump controlled by my Reefkeeper.  Thoughts?

Not sure I would trust who is schooling you.  Dosing 2 part will work just fine, but there is nothing wrong with a Ca reactor.  The reason why people say not to use a reactor on a smaller tank.  (1)  most don't have the load for a reactor (2) quite expensive upfront cost.

I run a reactor on a 90.....wouldn't do it any other way.

And sorry about the mess with your sandbed

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 23:58:27 »
BTW, putting in a Phosban 150 reactor tomorrow to get rid of the phosphates. :o

Make sure you read up before you start GFO.  Sudden changes in any tank parameter can be bad.

Start slow

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 00:11:25 »
Not sure I would trust who is schooling you.

+1!!!!  There are several types of people in the hobby. Some people take what has "worked" for them and it becomes law and to them it's the ONLY "correct" way to do it.

I was always ask around here before i make any big designs. I'm sure you can find people that run it both ways and get 2 perspectives before you decide.

There are several types of good bacteria you want in a deep sand bed, but there is concerns if you don't keep it clean and it become a nutrient sink, but there's always 2 sides to every method
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 00:35:36 »
Two words - "Reef Systems".

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 00:56:07 »
I'm not happy.  Tank was beautiful.  Now just blase.  I also have about 50-60 lbs of good crushed coral that is live without any worms, algae, and so forth.  great stuff.  need to get rid of it.  ideas?

I'll take it off your hands.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 01:01:41 »
I'd like to sell it or trade it for something nice and colorful.  It's on the classifieds.  If you're still interested, PM me.  One person already has.

Thanks.

Kev

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 01:50:27 »
just rember its ur tank do what u want with it and what is best for u and ur wallet and when u need to get it
i have a 3 to 4 inch sand bed in my main tank and 4 to 5 inch in sump and it does fine
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 09:56:41 »
Two words - "Reef Systems".

Yes, Reef Systems does not believe in Sand Beds in the display tank.  I've had the same conversation with them, but they should have discussed the how to do it.    Did the how to come up?

For those who are thinking of removing the DSB in their tank.  really the only way to do it is to remove all of the livestock, remove the rock.  Pull out as much water as you can to save, then Suck out the sand  (All of it).  Put fresh sand in the tank, water and then put things back in.

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 10:03:41 »
In this hobby you need to listen to all that you can, and hear few, start with the basics and tackle one problem at a time and make adjustments....As far as test kits go, i dont like any thats made they all have a lot of room for improvement, but out of all i like salifert and elos most, ive got 2" to 5" of sand in display and 7" depth of sand in my 55 gal refuge, been that way from day one no problems, you may or may not get away with it. Take it slow, and good luck

'

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 10:04:49 »
The sand bed is out except for about an inch and a half on average.  Water is clear, and everything made it except for two hermit crabs.  New zoas from Phishy business look great!  The small mushroom and star polyps made it from Reef systems, but the other one that was all star polyps all died off in the bag  :banghead.  Will contact them to see what they suggest as a replacment or compensation.

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 10:04:59 »
Yes, Reef Systems does not believe in Sand Beds in the display tank.  I've had the same conversation with them, but they should have discussed the how to do it.    Did the how to come up?

For those who are thinking of removing the DSB in their tank.  really the only way to do it is to remove all of the livestock, remove the rock.  Pull out as much water as you can to save, then Suck out the sand  (All of it).  Put fresh sand in the tank, water and then put things back in.

+1

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 10:45:20 »
I gotta say this.  I do listen to all of you guys, as well as the LFS's and others, and then apply the reality filter or go research it as best I can.  I really appreciate the advice from everyone here.  I'm weighing the whole "no calcium reactor" thing, and am still going to build one with the intention of using it.  Will use the two-part stuff till then, I guess.

I have to admit, the tank looks a little better without as much sand...

Now to get those LED lights built.

Kev

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 11:07:57 »
but the other one that was all star polyps all died off in the bag  :banghead.  Will contact them to see what they suggest as a replacment or compensation.

Was it Green star polyps (GSP)? If so I have TONs and will give you some.  It grows quick and can take over lol.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 14:44:49 »
allmost all fish shop will tell u to do one thing or another to hopefully buy more stuff from them
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 18:35:02 »
Was it Green star polyps (GSP)? If so I have TONs and will give you some.  It grows quick and can take over lol.

I found out today that they were clove polyps.  Thank you for the offer, but I think Blown76Mav hooked me up with a good starter batch today.

Kev

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 19:40:02 »
allmost all fish shop will tell u to do one thing or another to hopefully buy more stuff from them

I agree 100%. Its sad :( I didn't catch who told you all this stuff. I would have kept the sand. I run a sand bed more than 1" in my tank. Always have, and I always will.

Salifert tests are good tests. But the only one I have found to be better than API is the ALK, and the MAG is better than Red Sea. And I have used ALL of the tests.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 20:54:11 »
What I plan on doing is to run the Salifert and the API tests side-by-side and verify the results.  The complaint from the stores I was talking to is that the API tests are not so much inaccurate as they do not have the level of resolution that the Salifert tests have.  We'll see...

Kev

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 21:59:57 »
ya it is sad

i dont test unless there is something wrong only because i would test all the time and its a waste of money i would see something wrong and do something and test and test again
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 22:28:06 »
You want to know the secrets to keeping a deep sand bed? Come visit me sometime and I will share my experiences with you. So many different answers, but none has explained it yet.
Chromiumlux

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 03:05:43 »
You want to know the secrets to keeping a deep sand bed? Come visit me sometime and I will share my experiences with you. So many different answers, but none has explained it yet.
well tell us
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 16:53:48 »
What, do I need to use the secret handshake to hear this? :-Whipped

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 17:01:04 »
ur guess is as good as mine
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 17:06:25 »
What, do I need to use the secret handshake to hear this? :-Whipped

Something silly like that.  ;D

But here are a few links for you to read.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/deepsandbeds.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_sand_bed