2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: DIY acrylic bending  (Read 3581 times)

Offline stifrk

• Fry
DIY acrylic bending
« on: May 06, 2010, 11:58:49 »
I have been experimenting with it and tried mapp gas as well as propane.  I have come to the conclusion that because of the length of the bends I cant use gas or a heat gun.  I have been working with 1/2" acrylic but only in 6" sections and propane works fine at a distance to heat it up and bend it.

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=169&

I am going to get one of these and try it for the longer bends but cant seem to find anything to bend up to 48".  

I was thinking that the applications to this are endless.  I think I can make a jig to produce an octagonal bend so that there is only 1 seem for a skimmer.  Thoughts?  Cheaper to go with an acrylic tube?  Love hands on projects especially if it saves money in the process.  The idea behind octagonally building a skimmer would be flat surfaces for bulkheads to be mounted to.

Anyone have experience in bending acrylic?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:01:45 by stifrk »

slandis3

Re: DIY acrylic bending
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:01:15 »
put it in an oven @ 350deg's. The time depends on the thickness. I have an old oven in the garage that I use for powder coating that I have also used to bend some 1/4" in the past.

Offline stifrk

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 12:04:12 »
tank dimensions are 48x24x15 and sump dimensions are 40x20x20. 

tank bends would be the front and 2 sides out of one piece and the sump bends would be front, bottom, back out of one piece.

I used an oven to heat up my headlamp assemblys one time and it worked great, just dont have an oven big enough for the tank lol.

KeepOnReefin

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 14:06:57 »
tank dimensions are 48x24x15 and sump dimensions are 40x20x20. 

tank bends would be the front and 2 sides out of one piece and the sump bends would be front, bottom, back out of one piece.

I used an oven to heat up my headlamp assemblys one time and it worked great, just dont have an oven big enough for the tank lol.

Have you ever bent thick acrylic? Remember the edges fold over a bit and won't sit flush. You'll have to cut them after you bend them. Unless someone has a trick for me :P

Offline stifrk

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 14:30:58 »
Im going to be making a jig for it out of 2x4s and plywood to hopefully keep any bending like that at a minimum, and no have never bent long, thick acrylic.  I have a 6"x6" square i was experimenting on and didnt notice much if any bending on the edges.

basically the jig I am going to use has 2 sheets of plywood to "clamp" one side to and then the same for the other side... heat the exposed acrylic between it and start bending.  with such a small area being heated with the heating element I dont know how much will "fold" or bend over on the edges.

I would be thankful for any input you have with bending acrylic.  I am going to be placing my order after I get my final plans together and it should be maybe 2 weeks or so.

Offline stifrk

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 15:06:44 »
post removed because link was only for up to 1/4" thickness bending applications.

Offline stifrk

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 20:55:16 »
http://fins.actwin.com/diy/acrylic.html

"Acrylic can be heated to make it pliable. It will become rigid again when it cools. Never heat acrylic in a kitchen oven. Explosive fumes can accumulate inside the oven, and ignite.

A strip heater is the best tool to form acrylic. This tool will only form straight line bends. Buy one from your acrylic dealer. The strip heater will heat just the area to be formed.

Heat the sheet until it begins to sag at the bend line. The bend should be made away from the side exposed to the heating element. Sheet thicker than 3/16" should be heated on both sides for a proper bend. Use forming jigs or clamps for best results, and wear heavy cotton gloves when handling heated acrylic.

Forming other than straight line bends will generally require specialized equipment and jigs. "

found this on a site.. guess I shouldnt try heating the small piece i have for experimenting lol

slandis3

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 20:57:19 »
http://fins.actwin.com/diy/acrylic.html

"Acrylic can be heated to make it pliable. It will become rigid again when it cools. Never heat acrylic in a kitchen oven. Explosive fumes can accumulate inside the oven, and ignite.

Thats why you have to use a stove with a built in vent and use it out side.

Offline stifrk

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 09:13:21 »
im just going to get 2 of the heating strips. i was reading for thicker acrylic it is best to heat both sides.