2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Mag-Frag Plugs  (Read 10230 times)

Reefd Up

Re: Mag-Frag Plugs
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2009, 22:09:12 »
Yeah, apparently I didn't put enough thought into these.  I underestimated the airgap by a good bit.  (Air gap isn't a simple formula for glass...it's a pretty nasty equation to derive...I couldn't even find an equation for it.)  I researched these a ton...learned a lot in the process.  I just now know why they're so expensive to buy.  

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2009, 22:11:25 »
Nikki, I think you, Will, Wes and I need to put our brains together and DIY us up some Vortechs!
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Reefd Up

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2009, 22:12:11 »
I smell patent money!!!

Reefd Up

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2009, 22:15:21 »
If anyone is curious as to my *expertise* with magnets, I don't have much.  I worked with these types of magnets for a summer during research...and that's about it.  I really have to reiterate how powerful these can be.  We were not allowed to wear any metal into the labs...and no one with any sort of pacemaker, pins, or any metal in their bodies could come in at all.  Just imagine Koralia magnets without any sort of protection around them...pretty nasty beasts.

You never want to scratch, chip, or rough up the surface of a magnet.  It can cause magnetization reversal. 

Will said I should further explain myself.  No magnet is perfect, but the greater the imperfections...the greater the loss in power due to change in coercivity.  Since I'm working with such small magnets...and trying to get every bit of power out of them as possible...I don't want to do anything physically to them that might cause a change. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 22:39:39 by Reef'd Up »

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2009, 22:42:28 »
Nikki, I think you, Will, Wes and I need to put our brains together and DIY us up some Vortechs!

they're just DC brushless motors with somekind a hella strong magnet to transfer through the glass. The bearings and manufactoring would be the pain

although it would be intersting to sit down and brainstorm for a few hours on possible reef inventions.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 22:46:01 by cyberwollf »
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2009, 22:47:43 »
they're just DC brushless motors with somekind a hella strong magnet to transfer through the glass. The bearings and manufactoring would be the pain

although it would be intersting to sit down and brainstorm for a few hours on possible reef inventions.

Get too it Wes! I saw I guy that did it on RC. He posted some FTS with these 4 orange vortech clones. Then there was like 10 pages of people asking what they are and how it made them. He posted something like "oh, its just something I'm working on" and that was it.  :angryfire

Sorry Reef'd Up, Didn't mean to thread jack. Back to mag-mounts!
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2009, 10:22:42 »
Will said I should further explain myself.  No magnet is perfect, but the greater the imperfections...the greater the loss in power due to change in coercivity.  Since I'm working with such small magnets...and trying to get every bit of power out of them as possible...I don't want to do anything physically to them that might cause a change. 

I assume your using Neodymium magnets?

I worked at Trimble Navigation for several years. I started building laser levels, using these magnets. You could probably rough up the chrome/nickel plating on the magnet.

Before I left I was a material controller. I scrapped tons of these magnets when they were chipped. They shipped them in rolls, and they chipped very easy. I had a whole box of them, wish I knew where they went.

I know how powerful they are. They are dangerous. The chipped magnets are sharp, they pinch and cut. Not cool :P

And you guys do need some DIY Vortechs. Its such a simple, and expensive concept.

Reefd Up

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2009, 16:37:50 »
Ah, ok...sorry, didn't know your background (and I'm sure plenty of other people have less background on here). 

You're right, I could scratch up the plating, but I don't think it's enough to keep the coatings on the magnets.  I mean, the silicone just pulls up if you run your finger across it.  The Plasti-coat sticks to everything else once it is dried, so it pulls away from the magnet and eventually tears.  I just don't think the effort is worth it.  It's just a lot easier to seal them permanently.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2009, 17:11:20 »
What do you think of the plastic coat? I have never used it, but it could prove usefull in a number of things I need to try.

I hope you figure something out for the thicker tanks. This is a very cool idea.

Wondering what else you could seal them with. Ever try an epoxy?

Reefd Up

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2009, 19:41:02 »
The Plasti-coat itself is really cool.  It's a nice soft coating that bulks up well.  It'd be nice to re-coat tool handles, etc. 

I've been using a reef-safe epoxy for coating them.  It works, but it's thicker.  So, they're not as effective as I was hoping.

Offline wolfeden3

• I hate aptasia!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Juvenile
  • I LOVE ZOANTHIDS AND SOFTIES!!!!!
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2009, 22:19:53 »
i would like to purchase a couple of those mag fregs you had a the meeting today. Are they still 3 for 6.00?
pm me or let me know please.
thanks,
Garry
:) 90g w/ 30g refuge 776w mh w/ pc attinic f/o tank
;) 46 bow front new diy sump 192w pc f/c tank
;) 10g frag tank marine-land reef capable led

Reefd Up

« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2009, 10:03:56 »
Thanks for your interest!  It depends on what thickness glass you have on your tank.  I found that's the best way to cut the price on these.  If you don't need a super strong magnet that would work on a 300g tank...why should you buy it for a 10g tank? 

Here are the sizes/prices.  Basically it's just the number of magnets it takes to make each set strong enough.

Small, encrusting frags (mushrooms, GSP, etc) for glass thickness 1/8" - 1/4" = $2.50 each
Medium, encrusting frags (acans, favias, etc) for glass thickness 1/8" - 1/4" = $3.00 each
Large, small SPS frags (3" or shorter) for glass thickness 1/8" - 3/8" = $3.50 each
XLarge, medium SPS frags (4" or shorter) for glass thickness 1/8" - 3/8" = $4.00 each
XXLarge, SPS colonies (4" around) for glass thickness 1/8" - 1/4" = $4.50 each

If you're not sure what size you need, let me know.  If you have 1/2" glass...I'm still experimenting with that...gotta make sure the magnets will hold!

slandis3

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2009, 10:36:55 »

If you have 1/2" glass...I'm still experimenting with that...gotta make sure the magnets will hold!

you got these done yet  ;D

Reefd Up

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2009, 10:38:57 »
Bah!  Part of the problem is I don't have a tank to experiment with them on!  Situation changes a lot when the plugs are in the water with a strong flow.  Might have to have someone be a test dummy.  ;)

slandis3

« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2009, 11:04:26 »
bring them on lol. I got a nice 1/2" tank to try them on.  :D

Offline wolfeden3

• I hate aptasia!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Juvenile
  • I LOVE ZOANTHIDS AND SOFTIES!!!!!
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2009, 14:56:29 »
my tanks are 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch thick glass. i an mostly looking for 1/4 inch ones ok. not really looking for anything special just something that works.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 15:31:06 by wolfeden3 »
:) 90g w/ 30g refuge 776w mh w/ pc attinic f/o tank
;) 46 bow front new diy sump 192w pc f/c tank
;) 10g frag tank marine-land reef capable led

Reefd Up

« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2009, 21:27:18 »
Ok, I goofed up a few batches, so sorry it took so long.

I have 2 smalls, 3 mediums, 2 larges, and 1 XXlarge if anyone is interested.  First dibs goes to UDJustin.

Now I can start playing with trying to make them for larger tanks.  I had to finish up what I started with the smaller ones.

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2009, 22:21:27 »
i might be interested in a small or medium

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2009, 08:53:00 »
I will take two large nikki if thats ok
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2009, 08:56:40 »
this might sound silly but i have limited real estate and was wondering if you could tell me the size of the plug that would be inside the tank?

Reefd Up

« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2009, 15:47:03 »
The smalls are about the size of a penny in width...and will stick out about 1/2".  The medium and large are about the size of a nickle and quarter in width respectively.  They stick out about 1/2" on both sides as well.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2009, 19:32:26 »
the frag plug i won at the meeting wont stay on my tank its 1/2 glass  just to let you know
SIZE DOES MATTER

Reefd Up

« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2009, 22:10:24 »
Yeah, I think I handed out a medium as a raffle prize.  It shouldn't work on a 1/2" tank thickness.  Thanks for letting me know.  Right now I haven't figured out a good solution for 1/2"+ glass. 

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2009, 00:05:19 »
i think you mite be able to put 2 or 3 magnets next to each other to make it stronger  maybe? ::)
SIZE DOES MATTER

Reefd Up

« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2009, 07:50:55 »
Already did that for the XXL...and they don't work for 1/2" glass.  My molds for the plugs won't fit more magnets into them, so I have to get new molds.