2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: lumenarc reflector plans???  (Read 8321 times)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
lumenarc reflector plans???
« on: March 13, 2010, 15:06:39 »
So i went and bought all the stuff and now I cant find the plans online!!! everybody had linked to reefdiversity.com and they no longer host the plans... Looks like the Lumenarc company have been sueing people for patent infringment, but I cannot find the printable plans ANYWHERE!  Anyone have a copy saved on the there computer?
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
Re: lumenarc reflector plans???
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 15:16:39 »
I think Slandis has a fullsized template.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

slandis3

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 15:39:06 »
My template is to large for what Wes needs. Besides I can't find it anywhere. I will try and find the plans online. The one I used was saved on my computer @ work. I might be able to access it Monday. I dont run that computer anymore because it was attached to the water jet machine I ran.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 15:43:25 »
My template is to large for what Wes needs. Besides I can't find it anywhere. I will try and find the plans online. The one I used was saved on my computer @ work. I might be able to access it Monday. I dont run that computer anymore because it was attached to the water jet machine I ran.

Yea thats exactly what Im (not) finding online... I have all the material to start, but no plans.  Even if they are too large, i just need the correct portions and I can scale it down.  Looks like everyone in the world just linked to Reefdiversity and now its basicly lost to the rest of the online world...

I'm thinking about just printing out someones photo and scaling it from there... How accuarte do they need to be Mike?

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 15:47:39 »
FINALLY!! after 3 hours of searching...http://thebrian.net/reflector/

And YES Paul, I'm AM impatient!  ;D

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 21:07:37 »
OK I got one of the two built.  Its not as clean as the groupbuy ones Mike built, but i think they'll do the job fine.  i got 2 out of a 14" diameter x 20" tall solar tube ($45). They are 20" across on the flat plans.  I think the ones Mike build were 24" or so.  I just need to rip off the protective film and mount a bulb in them.

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 22:21:50 »
Nice!

Lost Floridian

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 22:54:11 »
Its looking really good, especially being your first try at these things.
But before you install these guys, we have a lunenarc III reflector (the 19.25" version) collecting dust, you can borrow it & compare the PAR values against your DIY reflectors.

That is if you have the cahonies to put your work against the real things... :o

Offline Rayman

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 22:57:47 »
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 23:06:47 »
nice job     now i need 3 that are no more than a 3inch drop
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 01:25:34 »
Its looking really good, especially being your first try at these things.
But before you install these guys, we have a lunenarc III reflector (the 19.25" version) collecting dust, you can borrow it & compare the PAR values against your DIY reflectors.

That is if you have the cahonies to put your work against the real things... :o

Hmm... I might come pick up the riveter and try the reflectors tomorrow

Lost Floridian

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 11:24:59 »

Hmm... I might come pick up the riveter and try the reflectors tomorrow

np, I should be around the house most of the day, just give me a call if you want to stop by.

slandis3

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 11:49:01 »
I also found my rivet gun last night as well as the template and my snips. Buried under all the stuff for my stand.

Offline Rayman

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 11:57:15 »
looking at the pic of you holding it looks like the out side is more reflective/mirror like than the inside, i am looking at the pic with your arms reflection and the one under it.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 12:01:38 »
looking at the pic of you holding it looks like the out side is more reflective/mirror like than the inside, i am looking at the pic with your arms reflection and the one under it.
wow it does
SIZE DOES MATTER

slandis3

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 12:02:43 »
Thats because it still has the protective cover on it.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 12:03:51 »
o ok
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 12:43:26 »

The inside had the protective film on it still.  Trust me, the inside is mirror perfect  ;D

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 12:55:09 »
Wow, I actually have TOO much light in spots lol.  Its funny how the lumenarc creates a spotlight.  Do i need to worry about burning corals on the left??

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 12:58:44 »
HOLY CRAP!  That is amazing!

Lost Floridian

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 13:08:25 »
WOW.

Those are some amazing results, it looks like your next DIY project will be making a screen holder so your corals can slowly get use to the new intense lighting 
congrats! :bday2:

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 13:13:10 »
WOW.

Those are some amazing results, it looks like your next DIY project will be making a screen holder so your corals can slowly get use to the new intense lighting 

Got some screen i can borrow for a few weeks?  ;D  ITS CLAM TIME! (well not now, since I spent money on the reflector material, but its ganna be soon! Better save one for me Rich  ;D)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 13:24:52 »
wow great job
SIZE DOES MATTER

Lost Floridian

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2010, 13:31:06 »
WOW.

Got some screen i can borrow for a few weeks?  ;D  ITS CLAM TIME! (well not now, since I spent money on the reflector material, but its ganna be soon! Better save one for me Rich  ;D)

Negative, we still need to buy more to shade our new tank, sorry. But your more than welcome to see how I made our holder.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2010, 16:45:21 »

I have plenty of extra screen.   I put a piece of egg crate across the top, then lay 3 pieces of screen.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2010, 17:52:42 »
I got the other reflector finished.  As you can see the PAR is higher towards the middle of the tank. Hamilton bulbs are really short and tend to hit the edge of the reflector (thus sending light toward the center of the tank.  I'll swap them out for the longer XM bulbs tomorrow.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2010, 18:56:13 »
I may of missed but what wattage and kelvin bulbs?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2010, 19:08:20 »
what those are some great numbers
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2010, 19:19:38 »
They are justins used (6 month old) Hamilton 15k I think. I'm ganna swap to the longer XM 14k, also justins used

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2010, 19:45:43 »
What about wattage, 250?

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2010, 19:56:59 »
What about wattage, 250?

Yep... My bad  ;D

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2010, 20:15:28 »
Those are some impressive numbers for 6 month old lights. Looks like the reflectors are a pretty important if not most important component to lighting.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2010, 21:00:42 »
Where did you get the solar tubes?
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2010, 21:28:03 »
Those are some impressive numbers for 6 month old lights. Looks like the reflectors are a pretty important if not most important component to lighting.

Yea, i read somewhere that if you built a lumenarc and painted it white, it would still out perform a 95% reflective batwing design. 

Also, on bulb life, from what i read MH bulbs break in and loose about 25% of output in the first 3 months.  But, at the 2 year point this study showed they still had 68% of original output.  so from 3 months to 2 years you only loose 7%.  As long as you are running >10k bulbs you really dont have to worry about spectral shift (normally shifts to the warm direction)

Where did you get the solar tubes?

Home depot, 20"tall x 14"diameter $45.  When you roll it out it is about 20x43.  I scaled the lumenarc plans to 20"x20".  you get 2 per tube with a little scrap.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2010, 21:46:18 »
Thanks Wes, I wanna make a Lemenarc Mini, You said yours where 20" x 20" flat right? What is their finished size then?
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Rayman

• Adult
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 19:26:03 »
wow very nice i may have to rethink my light build.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 20:58:45 »
Nice...So how much do you want to sell them for  ;D

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2010, 21:50:55 »
I think Josh might have an extra one for sale soon  ;)

Offline Coral Squad

• Adult
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2010, 14:03:25 »
i think i am going to try and build a set  i printed the plans today  
here is a vid of my plans

sorry for poor quality i recorded with cell phone
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 14:05:52 by MAYHEM_AUDIO »

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2010, 17:02:17 »
cool lets us know how it works out