2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 8 Gallon Bio Cube mod  (Read 2904 times)

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
8 Gallon Bio Cube mod
« on: June 16, 2008, 23:24:24 »
I was one of the few people who were able to pick up the $12.26 Oceanic 8gallon bio cube at SuperPetz. After opening up the box and inspecting the tank, I must say this is a solid built little tank. IMO I think this is better than my 12 gallon nano cube DX with the exception of it being 4 gallons smaller.

I have been doing as much reading as I can find about what other people have done to their 8G Bio cube's. I found one guy who transformed chamber #2 in the back into a fuge with a light on the back. I took this guys original idea and made some modifications to it that allowed me to make light on the back easier.   

Step 1. I picked up a under cabinet light at Lowes for about $10 bucks and some Velcro for $2 (PIC 1).
Step 2. Measure and transfer the measurements of chamber 2 onto the back of the tank. Then mask off the area you want to scrape the paint away from based off the size of the light. Use a razor and scrape the paint away in the masked area.
Step 3. Once the paint was off I started constructing the box the light will be mounted in. For the box I used 6"X1/2" poplar that I had lying around.
Step 4. After I built the box I took a 1/2 inch spade bit and drilled a hole in the bottom of the box. This allows the cord of the light to easily reach the fixture.
Step 5. Next I used the supplied hardware and mounted the fixture to the box (PIC 2).
Step 6. With the light mounted I cut the Velcro and applied it around the box and to the back of the tank (PIC 3).
Step 7. Turn on light

Picture 4 is of the box on the back of the tank. It sticks out about an inch and a half, which really isn’t all that much.
Picture 5 is of the inside of the tank. This little light is BRIGHT and should be perfect some macro back there. Right now there is some light seepage to the main display, but I think with Chaeto and some type of floss there will be no light leaking over when the display lights are off.

Tools I used: Drill, chop saw, Drill bits, screw driver, nail gun (1/2in brads) and compressor, A razor blade, Utility Knife.

Future mods; Cut the overflow from chamber 1 into 2 to allow more flow. Also, I noticed just about everyone with this tank upgraded their pumps to the maxijet 600. I don’t think I will do this. Instead I am going to build a platform for the stock pump to sit on so I don't have the head loss with the stock pump. I guess I just don't want to spend unnecessary money on another pump if I can hopefully get this one to put out more to the display.

If anyone has any suggestions, first hand advice or comments I’d be glad to hear them.

Pictures 3, 4 and 5 will be in other posts since my files are to large.

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
Re: 8 Gallon Bio Cube mod
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 23:25:36 »
Pictures 3 and 4.

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 23:26:22 »
Picture 5.

NORTHDIXIEREEF

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 19:00:27 »
YOU GO BOY !!   JOKEING ASIDE IT LOOKS GOOD MATT.  NOW IF IT WAS ONLY 100 GALLONS BIGGER YOU WOULD HAVE YOUR DREAM TANK. OH, YOUR PISTOL SHRIMP FOUNDED A NEW BUDDY. I PUT A WHEELERS SHRIMP GOBY IN A TANK 3 
SPACES OVER , AND SOME HOW THEY FOUND EACH OTHER AND HAVE BEEN BUDS EVER SINCE.  GOOD LUCK WITH THE NEW TANK.