2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Question about decreasing noise from overflow  (Read 2300 times)

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
Question about decreasing noise from overflow
« on: September 24, 2007, 22:43:03 »
I have a 120 gallon reef tank and my refug is a 30 gallon tank under the stand. My water flow is noisier than I would like.  I have standard overflow box with hose going into 1" outlet.  There is about a 5-6 inch drop of water before it hits the water level of my refug. I would like to decrease this noise.  Any Suggestions???? 

Offline Slicktrax

Re: Question about decreasing noise from overflow
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 23:52:36 »
5-6 inches between the pipe and the water surface of the sump?  if that is the case, then extend the pipe to below the waterline in the sump.  that will quiet up the entry quite a bit.
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 08:12:29 »
add a y fitting in the sump.  Connect a pipe that extends below the water to the bottom and one of the top sides to your drain.  This will allow the water to enter the sump below the water level and allow the air to escape without getting trapped and making loud blurping noises in the sump.

Offline hdyoung

• Fry
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 10:25:53 »
Is the noise coming from air getting sucked into the overflow inlet along with water, or from the spashing that happens when it discharges into your fuge or sump?

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 16:26:48 »
Both.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 20:02:33 »
I'm guessing you have a HOB overflow box? I could never get mine quieted down even after trying a Stockman modded standpipe. I like my internal overflow SO MUCH better!! It is almost silent.

Chris

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 22:30:20 »
we have a similar issue with our tank. to decrease the noise of the falling water in our overflow box I put a pipe that ran from the opening to the sump up to the top of the overflow box. so now the box is full of water so there's no cascading sounds but the noise actually got worse cause there was this, as ross perot would say, a 'giant sucking sound' of the water all going down the pipe! so I removed the pipe and am looking for something else to try. overall I think we're pretty used to the sounds

slandis3

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 00:05:52 »

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 07:15:01 »
Chris, the link that slandis gave you is how our 150 is set up.  It works great and there is no noise at all.   

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 14:06:07 »
The Durso works well if you have an internal overflow. It does not fit in a HOB overflow. There is what's called the "Stockman Mod" for HOB overflows, but I could never get it to work.

Here is a link to the Stockman Standpipe:  http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpipe/standpipe-ken_stockman.htm

Chris

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 21:14:46 »
thanks for the link, I'll try that. I take it the top portion of the T is open to allow air to escape?

slandis3

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 21:27:26 »
yes if its sealed it will pull a vacuum and surge. I'M not sure ho to explain it. you have to play with it to get the right amount of air/water.

Offline verper

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 21:32:22 »
thanks for the link, I'll try that. I take it the top portion of the T is open to allow air to escape?

There is a cap on top.  The cap has a small (1/8" or so) hole in it to keep the suction from happening.  The cap cuts down on the noise.

Offline Emily

• Scavenger Queen
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 21:41:21 »
THank you for the help.  I will be putting chris right on the task!:)
Emily

slandis3

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 22:07:39 »
What size is the plumbing? I have a 1.5" bulkhead but i have it plumbed for 2" It works like a mega flow kit made by aga.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 00:14:07 »
I just hooked my sump up three days ago with a HOB overflow. I have a 1 inch out, and a 3/4 return. I just put valves on both out, and return, played with them a little bit to equalize the flow, and I have almost no noise at all.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 10:40:41 »
Be careful restricting the overflow! If it gets any additional restriction be it corralline, snail, algae, etc, you risk overflowing your tank.