2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Lighting Help??  (Read 1979 times)

themissinglynk

Lighting Help??
« on: October 15, 2007, 09:50:40 »
Hey folks...  I got lucky a few times.  Yesterday, I got a set of T5 light bulbs from the raffle at the CORA swap.  Here is what I got:

ATI Aquaristik ATI 54W bulbs (4):
   Aquablue Special
   Blue Plus
   Pro Color
   Actinic

So, I think I need a ballast, reflectors, end caps, and wiring stuff... I also have an "ARO VHO Ballast (440Watt)".  Will that work with T5s?

Otherwise, any ideas?  (Joel, do you a quick number on how much it would be to get the remaining parts and assistance from you?)  Anyone else?

Thanks,

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 22:18:39 by Lazylivin »

slandis3

Re: Lighting Help??
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 16:08:58 »
if the aro ballast wont work, I have an ice cap 660 that will fire them, All you need is the end caps.

Offline saltybuckeye

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 16:49:56 »
I'm pretty sure that an aro ballast will fire those bulbs,not positive though.Ice cap will for sure though.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 18:49:02 »
GO with Icecap...get an Icecap 660, Iceacap endcaps, Icecap standoffs, and 4 Icecap SLR's...with those item, you'll basically have a 4x54 watt retro kit.  ATI are really good bulbs too.  You can look up the retro kits on marinedepot, reefgeek, or Premium Aquatics website

Offline verper

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 18:50:31 »
If you can, get the individual Ice Cap or Sunlight Supply reflectors.  There have been tests done that show T5's with individual reflectors will put a lot more light into your tank.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 07:04:42 »

The 4x 54 watt 48"  T-5 retro "Kit" I sell Costs $387.00 and includes a Ice Cap 660 ballast. wire harness, water proof end caps,  individual reflectors for each lamp and 4 lamps. The lamps are like $80.00 of the cost of the kit, I would be willing to sell you the "kit" and deduct the cost of the lamps off the price. I've not figured out what the savings is over buying each piece individually but I'm sure it's cheaper. I unfortunately don't have any experience with the ARO ballast so I can not give input on weather it will work or not. If it is an electronic ballast, I would suspect that it would. If all you need are the reflectors and end caps, the reflectors are $25.00 ea  and the end caps are $20.00 a pair (One pair operates 1 lamp) The reflectors are 46.5" long x 2.5" wide so you should have no problem fitting them over top your tank. The reflectors also include the lamp clip too. LMK if I can help.

Thanks...Joel

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 08:53:44 »
Okay. I'll probably get flamed for this, but I don't see the value in the $20 end caps. There are other ways to protect the end caps if you have that much salt creep. I would go with the $2 twist lock end caps from reefgeek.com and get the reflectors from Joel. While the ARO ballast isn't technically a T5 ballast, neither is the Icecap 660, or any of the workhorse ballasts. Most of them are standard electronic ballasts that all basically function the same way.

Joe

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 13:06:28 »
I really like my "$20" endcaps, although I didn't pay that much them. Can't remember off the top of my head exactly where I got them.

I've had no issues with my ARO ballasts, but then I'm firing VHOs, not T-5s.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 21:11:49 »
As per our conversation the other night I called the distributor. He say's that ARO claims that their ballast is not for use with T-5"s but they (ARO) offered no explanation as to why.

Sounds like VHO is what you may have to do with this ballast. If you decide to do VHO I would take the T-5's you have as a trade in towards what you need if you'd like.

Joel