2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Stupid ER...  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Viggen

Stupid ER...
« on: October 24, 2007, 15:35:27 »
Well, 6 or so weeks ago 1 of my ER pumps died on me.  It's a GenX-4100 & 2 days ago my other GenX pump seized up on me.  These have been running less then 2 years & I payed over $400 for the 2 pumps to convert my ER skimmer to a RC-500.

Now, I am totally pumpless..... I also not sure what to do. I have sent ER some emails & the phone numbers I try do not seem to get me anywhere (about to try it again). 

Anyone have any suggestions on what pump I should get & modify to fit my skimmer?  ER wants $280 ish PER PUMP to replace my POS GenX pump with a Eheim.  Not sure if I am willing to throw them any more money....... 
300g tub o fish

Offline verper

Re: Stupid ER...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 17:00:48 »
Can't  you just buy replacement Gen-x pumps from somewhere else?

Offline Viggen

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 00:19:53 »
I probably can however those pumps are so noisy I really do not want to try another one.  My front room is so much quieter w/o those dam pumps running I have been debating on going skimmerless actually.  Or I was thinking I could get a Eheim pump & try to mod that however if I screw up it would be a expensive mistake.  I called Chip a few hrs ago & he is suppose to see if they can get me any kind of a break on the eheim pump which they would mod in house to fit my skimmer. 
300g tub o fish

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 14:45:35 »
have you tried muffling the intake on the air line.  A lot of my slimmer noise come from venturi sucking air.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 22:43:40 »
on these pumps it seems like 100% of the noise is from the vibration of the pumps.  I can turn off the air intake on the pumps & they still are noisy.  That is until they both died on me :(

I am now thinking of making a skimmer & use a Dart NW pump to drive it.  A friend of mine up in Columbus makes filters all the time & I know it would be easy for him to help me with.  Probably be cheaper then buying 2 new eheim pumps from ER
300g tub o fish

Offline verper

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 16:57:38 »
I want to see that!  Those new Sequence ReefFlowskimmers with the ReefFlo Orca Needle Wheel Pump seem to be very good.  And you are only drawing something like 100-120 watts of power.