2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: snail id  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
snail id
« on: August 24, 2011, 19:56:40 »
I discovered these little guys today after moving my clam. I am pretty sure I know what these are (pyramid snails), but I want to get another opinion to confirm and also see if anyone knows how to rid them. I have noticed in the last few weeks my clam has not be extruding his mantle like it did when I first got it. Can anyone tell me what the snails are doing? Are they actually eating the snail or what?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: snail id
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 21:51:26 »
If they were around your clam, I'm afraid that you have the correct identification.   They are chewing on your clam.   Your going to have to get that clam in QT, scrub the clam and clean off any snails you find.  Your going to need to keep the clam out of the main tank long enough for the snail population to die off.  I'm having problems finding the life cycle, but I would suggest at least a month.

Google pyramidellid snails

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: snail id
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 08:42:33 »
Not sure if you have another tank to put the clam in to keep the snails away but Melev's reef had a similiar problem with welks and he fashioned a floating tray for the clam to grow in while the population of snails died off... It consisted of building a holdr that braced it's self from outside the tank and the tray was located in the top of the tank centered with nothing touching it so that it is free floating. might want to try it if you have no where else to put the clam, while waiting ont he snails to die off.

here is his thread on the subject.

http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/0504/baby_maxima.html
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank