2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Getting Rid Of Dino With Hydrogen Peroxide  (Read 7645 times)

Offline tidepool

• Adult
Getting Rid Of Dino With Hydrogen Peroxide
« on: February 02, 2012, 20:55:33 »
Was talking with Lazy and he forwarded me a thread that discussed using hydrogen peroxide dosing to get rid of dinoflagettes... thread indicated that this method is full proof, but that it kills ALL algae in your system.... since I have 3 anemones inmy tank (2 BTA's and a carpet) I was wondering if this was safe?  Any additional info here would be appreciated...

Thanks for reading/responding... I figure I can't be the ONLY person with this issue...

:th_surrender:

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
Re: Getting Rid Of Dino With Hydrogen Peroxide
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 21:49:32 »
So I will chime in since I just went through this.  The thread states to use 1ml per 10 gallons of water.  well that doesnt work.  My system is 300 gallons and 30ml didnt make a difference.  I am able to turn returns on and off to my 2 frag tanks and 1 macro display.  They are all 30 gallon breeders.  I would shut the water off to them, and then add about 30ml to the 30 gallon tank, let it circulate for a couple hours and then turn the flow back on.  I did this with all 3 tanks including my macro algae display with no problems at all.  I would say at peak I was adding 100ml to my entire system so that is 1ml per 3 gallons.  I wouldn't suggest starting off that strong.  It also works very well if you can add it with a syringe and just shoot it straight at the problem areas.  It instantly kills things it touches with the direct stream.  I am proud to say though that after about 1 month, I 99% nuisance algae free(knock on wood) !!!
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 22:56:18 »
Anyone have a link to (I assume) an RC thread on this?

Sounds kinda out there to me.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 00:11:44 »
I know some have had some luck, and others not soo much... my only ? is, I noticed you said it and I have heard others say it... "It kills all forms of algae".... if so, what's it's effect on zooxanthellae? Would something like an old large clam or anemone be effected by this method? or is the algae protected because it is enveloped in the tissue it's self, though I would figure it would still be absorbed.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 00:25:36 »
Anyone have a link to (I assume) an RC thread on this?

Here ya go. http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-discussion/52084-dinoflagellates-my-experience-h2o2-reefing-tool.html

Adam glad it worked for you. Going to have to come check out the system now.

Those that tried it and it didn't work it may not have been Dinoflagellates. I have never used H2o2 in my tank but I used it on all my incoming soft corals such as zoa's to remove brypopsis. It kills all the algae including coraline at 4 parts saltwater 1 part h2o2 for a minute dip. Corals didn't like it one bit but they didn't die. It kills SPS and LPS though.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 00:32:42 »
It kills SPS and LPS though.

Sounds like it does kill the zooxanthellae then
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 00:39:55 »
Softies when dipping in the h2o2 bubble up. There is even bubbles in the skin. The SPS it just eats the tissue right off.I have no idea how they react to small in the tank doses but lots of folks have done it without any notable damaging effects. I thought I heard from someone that they noticed a reduction in pods during use.

drew930

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 00:41:51 »
I went through dinos awhile back . Didn't wanna do lights out for 3-5 days because I had a clam and a RBTA. I did 1ml per 10 gallons . I could see it was helping after about 2 days ... Then I had no progress and started doing 1.5 ml per gallon and did a 2 days lights out and it went away . Then I got a Kalk reactor ... And it stayed gone awhile but it came back eventually, after I moved my reactor. I have had bad luck with dinos when my ALK was low .

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 00:42:30 »
Hydrogen Peroxide is an incredible oxidizer. It'll disrupt cell walls in a microsecond. (Hence the use as a topical antibiotic). The good news is that it breaks down into innocuous substances.

I'll slog through that 39 page thread tomorrow to see if this is all anecdotes, or if there's been any real science done on it.

drew930

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 00:43:21 »
And I forgot to mention my RBTA and clam were fine

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 00:44:37 »
I wonder what makes someone say "Hey lets dump some hydrogen peroxide in my tank and see what happens". Is that how these things are discovered?

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 16:10:44 »
Well, peroxide for algae is an old, old, old FW trick. Doesn't surprise me that someone would try it for a reef.

Having read through that 39 page thread, it seems pretty anecdotal- most folks used peroxide + X or peroxide + X + Y + Z +...

There were a lot of 'day 1' posts, but nowhere near enough 'results:' posts for me to endorse it.

The thing about dino's is that they have a tendency to crash on their own given time, so h2o2 could be just as 'effective' as doing a hopi rain dance. It would be interesting to take a tank that was completely untreated and try it, leaving the lighting / feeding / WC regimen in place.

Offline tidepool

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 17:46:35 »
All the feedback is appreciated.... I'm going to try this starting Saturday sometime and will post my results/observations/thoughts...  :-Punch

Thanks again...

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 18:08:21 »
Here's another link, with a dang good discussion- Net result? No h202 for me.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2029023