2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: I hate unwanted visitors  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Neogenesis

I hate unwanted visitors
« on: January 19, 2014, 23:37:53 »
I must say, I hate it when I find unwanted visitors in my frag tanks.  It seems that no matter how much I dip, inspect, or clean new frags, something always sneaks through.  I pulled two of these guys tonight.    Nudibranchs........................ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  Guess it's time to inspect every piece in the frag tank now.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Re: I hate unwanted visitors
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 23:55:24 »
I take it those are bad?

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 00:06:47 »
Good or bad I don't know, but there are MANY MANY bad nudi's and seeing that I found them hiding in the zoas, I can only assume that's what they like to eat.  They've been banished.

Now....that being said there is at least one good variant that is supposed to eat aiptasia, however I can't ever seem to keep them, and they are easily identified as they are pure white.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 08:58:47 »
I bet he matched the color of the zoas too.   Good catch, but there are likely more.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 12:41:28 »
You are correct.  He nearly matched the zoa......and I found these two on separate frags of the same zoa.  I gave everything a quick once over last night and didn't see any more,  but will be dipping and double checking today.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 12:59:47 »
You are correct.  He nearly matched the zoa......and I found these two on separate frags of the same zoa.  I gave everything a quick once over last night and didn't see any more,  but will be dipping and double checking today.

Yep! Check for the eggs.
Chromiumlux

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 09:42:51 »
Fresh water dips with great. When I had bryopsis years ago and re-plugged everything I couldn't get it all from between the zoas. I took the zoa rock and put it in my swimming pool for 15 minutes, chlorine and all. Then soaked in saltwater and dechlorinator for 24 hours to allow chlorine to dispate. Zoas were fine. I am not suggesting bleach dipping. Lol. Freshwater dips should kill them and zoas would be fine if you want to dip larger rocks and not worry about contaminating tank with dip solution. 

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 22:23:40 »
It appears that I'm losing this battle, no matter how many I pick out, how many eggs I remove, how much I dip, it's a losing battle and most of my zoos are lost at this point.  I'm hoping they won't migrate to the main tank, but as of now I'm considering all zoo frags in the frag tanks a total loss.  Checking frags in the DT daily for pests.

I'm really unhappy with a certain person right now.......cause I know where they came from.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 22:52:38 »
It appears that I'm losing this battle, no matter how many I pick out, how many eggs I remove, how much I dip, it's a losing battle and most of my zoos are lost at this point.  I'm hoping they won't migrate to the main tank, but as of now I'm considering all zoo frags in the frag tanks a total loss.  Checking frags in the DT daily for pests.

I'm really unhappy with a certain person right now.......cause I know where they came from.

That's not good. You need to have a heart to heart with that person. Let them know what they have and how they can avoid spreading their problem in the future. And hopefully that person listens and won't be a problem again.

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 00:01:36 »
That's not good. You need to have a heart to heart with that person. Let them know what they have and how they can avoid spreading their problem in the future. And hopefully that person listens and won't be a problem again.

True. I bought some acros from a person that had AEFW. When I told them they at first didn't believe me, but later thanked me. We have all battled with different pest and such. Hope you get the better of this Scott. Have you considered some natural predators like wrasses and maybe a coral banded shrimp?

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 09:38:46 »
Have you tried Flatworm Exit? I have used this in the past with awesome results, kills em all.
John

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 10:01:20 »
Flatworm Exit for nudibranchs......might have to give it a try.  Will it kill the eggs as well?

Thanks!!!

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 10:05:07 »
Yes, it killed them all in a previous tank I had. Follow dosing carefully and after 30 minutes or so, you can see them start to drop off. Then you have to do a water change to remove toxins they release when they die.
If you google it you will find alot of posts on the subject.
Worked well for me, anyway.
John

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 10:06:28 »
If you need a coral band shrimp I have one
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline ReeferMadness

• Juvenile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 23:02:17 »
Liveaquaria sells nudibranches and it says "reef safe" ???

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 01:14:16 »
There are good types of nudis, the one I know of eats flatworms.  However the one in my photo likes to eat zoanthids.

Offline ReeferMadness

• Juvenile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 01:29:48 »
i wonder if they all could potentionally have a taste for them

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 01:44:09 »
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+524+2198&pcatid=2198

These guys are great for eating flatworms.....however if you run out.....they eat nothing else.  From what I've seen and understand, and I'm no expert, nudi's pretty much stick to what they like to eat, when it's gone they die.  Monti, zoa, flatworm eating nudi's while in the same family, vary greatly in appearance, size, and physical structure.  When their particular coral is gone, they die.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 07:56:34 »
Yes, there are reef safe nudi's.   Liveaquaria typically sells the Blue Velvet Nudi, which is said to feed on flat worms.

Nudi's have very specialized diets, the variety shown above will only be seen on zoanthids.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 08:23:03 »
Hope you can get it straightened out man! Keep us posted, and I agree, let the other person know whats up, help keep the hobby healthy and safe for all inhabitants, they may not even know what they have as steve has said.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 08:34:25 »
It's been straightened, it's amazing how tough zoa's can be.  I was not nice while trying to exterminate the little buggers, and amazing enough the zoas survived the torture I put them through.  I've not seen another nudi to date.

First there was manual removal of pests and eggs.
Then there was the flatworm exit dip.   "I read on one forum it can work so I figured I would try it."
Then it was to the Coral Rx dip.
Then they got run under freeing cold water "city water" direct from the tap for a good 5 minutes.  Thought being the temperature swing could possible kill them.
Then they got dropped back into the tank.

Not to say they didn't look worse for the wear, but I think all but one or two frags survived and are coming back.  And no I would not try this at home boys and girls.