2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Advice on Cyano  (Read 8033 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Advice on Cyano
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 19:53:34 »
Thanks for everyone's advice with the Cyano, happy to report that it is going away.  ;D

I Added more flow, filter sock and changed daily (PIA......poor sump configuration not easy to get to), Siphoned and brushed it off wherever possible (PIA......used a tooth brush, zoo's did not like that to much but better now) and wetter Skimming.....overflowed it the first night  ;D

It was worth it, hopefully continues to dissipate.

I will post up a couple of pics showing the cynao, just been lazy if you can believe that.  ;)

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 21:23:43 »
Have you checked the color spectrum on the lights over your frag tank. I dont see where anyone has mentioned the lights themselves. I notice a change in my system as my bulbs age.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 21:28:04 »
I was running a brand new Coralvue 14k for the past month decided I did not like the look and switched to a new Radium last week.

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 21:30:30 »
Have you checked the color spectrum on the lights over your frag tank. I dont see where anyone has mentioned the lights themselves. I notice a change in my system as my bulbs age.
If you goggle that , that is a big cause they say as the bulbs age, or changin from old to new can also cause it!

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2009, 21:38:45 »
Lazy: How is the outbreak? Have you tired lights out for a few days?
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2009, 23:25:34 »
The cynao outbreak did occur before changing the bulbs. I have not yet tried doing a lights out yet. It seem to be going away but was afraid doing the lights out it would die to quick and release to much toxin to quick in the water column and with a average skimmer may not be the best approach. Still considering draining and cleaning the tank after the swap. Need to rework the plumbing and kill off some bryosis algae anyway.

Reefd Up

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2009, 07:52:03 »
Lazy, have you looked into magnesium treatment for byropsis?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2009, 16:00:55 »
I did do a treatment for Dinoflagellates about three months ago running Mag at 1500-1550 for about 30 days. It took care of the dino and  bryopsis. Looking back that was unexpected and never put two and two together until reading your post just now.

The bryopsis that is currently in the frag tank came from DR Fosters and Smith frag about 1 month ago. Cant believe how fast it has grown and lucky it did not make it to the display. At least not that shows anywhere yet...... Good to know that if it does I can elevate the mag levels again because manual removal is difficult.

Come to thing of it, the turf algae is gone as well, wonder if Mag levels took care of that to?

Also have since nice green and red bubble algae. It does not bother me to much because blends in with the purple/red rocks. Kind of cool looking and easy manual removal. I like to pop them.... Whoaaaa don't know where that came from, just blurted it out. Some nice aloe stuff comes out to moisturize the hands.  :laugh: come on now you all cant tell my you dont pop your bubble algae to see what is inside. You just cant help it is like trying to hold bubble wrap in your hand and not pop it.  :D

BTW: There was no ill effects that I could see from the short increase in levels.

Lazy, have you looked into magnesium treatment for byropsis?

Reefd Up

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2009, 18:39:55 »
If you need it, I'll dig up the tests on RC with Mag & byropsis.  Last I was reading, there was a debate over whether it was the magnesium chloride or the magnesium sulfate that was doing it.  Dosing Tech-M is proven to work, but requires a lot of it...which gets expensive.  I think it was the Mag Sulfate that ended up winning last I read (which is I think the main ingredient on Tech-M...and is Epsom Salts...very cheap!)  But, you also need to worry about the levels of sulfates in your aquarium (which is why you're supposed to dose the mag chloride with it...I think it forms some form of chlor-sulf- (don't know if it's an -ide or an -ate).  That form is fairly inert if I remember correctly.

Anywho, I never realized just how...rambly...my thoughts are.  Sorry! 

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2009, 20:30:18 »
If you come across the articles again send it my way. Sounds like a interesting read.

Reefd Up

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2009, 21:02:32 »
It's like...30 million pages...but...I'll see what I can find.

Reefd Up

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2009, 21:08:04 »
It's like...30 million pages

All the good ones are. Thanks for the link.