2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Gha  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Gha
« on: May 19, 2014, 22:07:55 »
I have 3 tanks. And have gha in all of them. The tanks only get fed once every other day. And really don't get that much when they do get fed. What is up? The only thing that gets put in all 3 tanks is lrs, slat and water. My tds meter reads 0tds. I'm at my wits end here. If I can't get this figured out soon I'm going to be getting rid of all my tanks. There has to be something I am doing wrong or not doing or equipment something. Any ideas or help or suggestions would be great. I really don't want to be driven away from this hobby by gha.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Gha
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 22:18:58 »
Check out the following thread.  I was in your shoes and after using lanthanum chloride I am now 99% gha free and have my corals growing and have great color in my sps frags.
http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16394.0;topicseen
Jeff

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 22:23:29 »
I seen that. But I think there is something I'm missing here. I could see it in 1 tank. But all 3. It's been almost a year since I've changed my di and prefilters. I also wonder if there is something in the barrels I use to store my water.

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 22:35:23 »
I had a problem once where I was getting 0 tds from my RODI, but my storage tanks were leaching something.  Check your top off water and see what it looks like.
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 22:42:45 »
Storage barrels would be a good thing to check on.  Might also bring in water from a different source,  pain in the ass, but I'm betting you've got well water out there and who knows what could be slipping by.  Three tanks give you the ability to control tests a bit and hopefully pinpoint the issue and fix it for good.  Feed one tank only flake,  and just a tiny tiny bit, give another ro from a buddy or buy from culligan or whatever.   Something different in the 3rd.  Don't dose anything,  and go as low tech as possible.  Remove all the variables you can and you'll get to the bottom of it.  A basic system, skimmer,  live rock, sand, a decent but not overboard light setup (t5 w/ati bulbs), lightly stocked and lightly fed is tried and true.  If, in that system,  you're growing hair algea,  the problem is in your water or your husbandry (I.e., you think you're barely feedng, but overfeed).  I'd also seriously consider feeding only a flake for a while.  Formula two should do the trick for most reef fish, once daily.  My systems tend to start to grow algae when I get crazy with the frozen.Best of luck.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 00:00:04 »
I would double check your TDS reading with another club members tester.  I think it's a little suspicious that your filters are a year old and your still getting 0 TDS water.  It's possible, but not likely......or I just have really bad city water.  During the winter I barely get 3 months before I see my pressures start to drop off, during the summer I get 6 or more months.   And yes I run a booster pump.

Offline merlin3

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 11:08:46 »
Agree,  i have well water and go through filters every 3 or 4 months and sometimes change sediment filter in between that.  Also have you tested phosphate or nitrate?

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 22:03:28 »
I have not my di or prefilters in a year. Got to looking at the tds readings and the meter read 8. So I changed them. I think this will help.