2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Bubble algae  (Read 3826 times)

Offline chromiumlux

Bubble algae
« on: November 01, 2010, 22:38:48 »
What are the ways that you guys deal with bubble algae?
Chromiumlux

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
Re: Bubble algae
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 22:43:25 »
I don't. Once you have it you will more than likely never be rid of it. I treat it like a part of the micro ecosystem that is my tank.

It comes and goes on it's own. I pull the bigger pieces out by hand. If it continues to be a problem, kill it at it's source. Nutrients.  Less food, and aggressive skimming. What skimmer are you running? How often do you feed? And still have yet to post pics of your new tank :)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 22:48:42 »
I had bubble algae in my previous tank but just a few here and there. Phosphates were at .02 and Nitrates undetectable and it was still present. Some have had good luck reducing phosphates even farther down to zero but have to watch the corals closely especially the LPS and Softies. Best way to do it is with MB7 and Vodka. Take it slow, on a tank your size perhaps 3-5 drops of Vodka per day and double that of MB7 to start. When you stop by tomorrow bring a little water and we can see where your phosphates are on the meter.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 22:50:06 »
ok cool
Chromiumlux

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 23:15:59 »
Emerald crabs are also good for bubble algae. Though they are hit and miss.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 23:58:04 »
I had bubble algae in my previous tank but just a few here and there. Phosphates were at .02 and Nitrates undetectable and it was still present. Some have had good luck reducing phosphates even farther down to zero but have to watch the corals closely especially the LPS and Softies. Best way to do it is with MB7 and Vodka. Take it slow, on a tank your size perhaps 3-5 drops of Vodka per day and double that of MB7 to start. When you stop by tomorrow bring a little water and we can see where your phosphates are on the meter.

Vodka never helped me my rid my system of bubble algae. And I know that makes absolutely zero sense. It got rid of everything else though. Including zooanthelle.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 23:59:53 »
Emerald crabs are also good for bubble algae. Though they are hit and miss.

A big miss for me. But not for my buddy lol. Weird.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 08:15:08 »
the higher wattage of light does it to the magnificent foxface will nip and eat it but not allways
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 08:44:02 »
I have always heard its tough to get rid of because it can survive in very low nuterient systems, hence why its usually a problem in stony and coral systems.
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline tidepool

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 18:08:23 »
+1 on SecondGen's response.... I have a little bubble algae here and there and read that emerald crabs would do the trick - so I bought two and all the little *&%^*#%#&&'s did was eat the green polyps off my acros.... they now in solitary for life in my sump....  :angry4:

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 18:26:40 »
Vodka never helped me my rid my system of bubble algae. And I know that makes absolutely zero sense. It got rid of everything else though. Including zooanthelle.

Sounds like you over did it. Vodka won't rid your tank of bubble algae, nothing will that won't kill everything else. However if done properly it can take it from the plague proportion that Andy has to something that is manageable and even difficult to spot

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 21:13:11 »
Sounds like you over did it. Vodka won't rid your tank of bubble algae, nothing will that won't kill everything else. However if done properly it can take it from the plague proportion that Andy has to something that is manageable and even difficult to spot

I agree. But I over did it to kill Bryopsis. And in the end, I was left with Bubble Algae. But like I said. It comes and goes, nothing I will worry about too much. Post a pic of the tank Andy! Just how bad is it?