2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Mini Brittle Starfish Spawning!  (Read 3363 times)

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
Mini Brittle Starfish Spawning!
« on: May 08, 2009, 11:17:35 »
I think I have a few thousand new Mini Brittle Stars......

Over the last few days I have had an issue with cloudy water. I did a 30% water change, still cloudy, I even used quite abit of charcoal, still cloudy. So last night when I got off work it was all cleared up, just out of no where.

Close inspection of my glass, and I found tiny less than 1mm, round bodies, with five tentacles. I did some research and it seems to be star fish spawning. I aquired a few of these in some macro algae a few weeks ago for my sump.

I'll try to get some pictures tonight. I don't have a macro lense, and I doubt my 18-55 will cut it.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Mini Brittle Starfish Spawning!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 13:00:59 »
Do they move about the glass or seem to be attached? The reason I ask is they could be jellies (Hydroid). Here are some pics of jellies in the reef aquarium that seem similar to what you described

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 13:08:36 by Lazylivin »

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 13:20:44 »
That could be it. Any more info, can't seem to find much.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 13:22:09 »

Reefd Up

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 16:06:49 »
Lazy, I agree...even before I saw your post!  Tiny brittle starfish tend to like more low-flow, shaded spots as that is usually where detritus lands (which is what they eat.) 

Usually those hydroids will level themselves out after a few months.  There's usually an initial population explosion, then they die off.  Quite normal and harmless.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 21:14:32 »
Upon closer inspection, you guys are right. Exactly as pictured. Is it normal for them to cloud the water like crazy?

Reefd Up

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 21:01:52 »
I've seen them covering the glass pretty badly, but never clouding the water.  Best is just to do several water changes.  Once their food source dies off (usually after about 6 months) they'll dwindle.

You might could try a filter sock to catch some, but I doubt a filter sock will do much good. 

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 21:15:20 »
After the bacterial bloom, completely vanished. Not a single one in sight.

Reefd Up

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 21:29:59 »
Sounds about right!  They'll wax and wane as their food source does.  I still see one every couple of months or so, but no big deal.  :)