2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Sammy's Tank  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Slicktrax

Sammy's Tank
« on: March 04, 2007, 10:24:53 »
not a saltwater setup, but still fish.  i got this off of micki a few weeks back and set it up for my7 year old daughter for her birthday.  she was pretty excited about.  cha ching bonus points for dad.  anyway i set it in her room and we do all our shopping for pieces and parts and start having a goo time setting it up.

i split a line from the ro/di input to get water to the tank, which takes a painfully long time.  these two waited patiently for about 5 minutes and then went on to do bigger and better things. 

i let it run for a couple hours and get about 2/3 full and shut it off for the night.  i get home the next day from work and turn it on to finish filling.  in the mean time i grab a quick dinner and review my info for one of two meetings that night.  dash out the door for the first meeting and make it through that one.  leave for the second one and have this sick feeling in my stomach that i may not have turned the water off.  sure enough i run in to the house to find her bedroom carpet flooded.  it has run under the wall into the next bedroom as well.  175 towels in 10 minutes and the water shut off i have to leave for the second meeting.  luckily i have a friend in the carpet cleaning business and he could fit me in the next day for a cleaning.  moral of the story:  dont let me be in charge of filling the tank.
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

bigfalcon36

Re: Sammy's Tank
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 10:29:45 »
ran water on the floor of the basement in the new house at least 25 times over hear in PA.  Briana told me if I can't stop doing that, I cant get a new tank...then I beat her :)

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 10:34:58 »
I flooded my basement many times also.  damn auto top off fill bucket really needed a float valve but oh well what are you going to do

Offline verper

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 12:17:00 »
Float valve.  I did the same thing a few times in the basement until I put the RO line on a float valve.  Now anything I fill up has that at the top to stop the water.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 12:24:42 »
Ohhh that sucks.  Tank looks cool though!  :)  Tell her she did a good job picking things to put in the tank! 

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 12:40:41 »
i actually make a dog bowl 2 days ago with a float valve hooked to a water line.  Our 3 big dogs around drink a 5 gallon jug about every 5 days.  We got sick of filling the jug so i bought a big stainless steel bowl (about 1 gallon i think) drilled it and installed a waterline and float valve and stop switch/release point.  So i can turn off the water, disconnect and clean the bowl all from upstairs.  The autofill is awesome.  plus is keeps the doggy water even fresher

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 07:51:04 »
Man that sucks, I have caused a few (more than I can count) floods in my time. I forget that I left the water on all the time.

Also, freshwater fish will not do well in straight ro/di water, there needs to be minerals and trace elements in it. Kent Marine & Sea Chem has products to add to ro/di water to make it fish safe. The fish at the typical local fish shop are in tap water, they might have a hard time adjusting to water that is very different than what they were kept / raised in. Might make your life easier just using tap water with a quality dechlorinator.

Joel

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 08:38:43 »
the split in the line is before it goes into the ro/di.  i have never used any of the salt additives.  any advantages/disadvantages between the crystalized and liquid?

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 08:06:58 »
Rick how is Sammy's tank doing? 

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 09:12:21 »
i need to post a pic with the lights i got from dave (thanks dave).  anyway we got some danios two weeks ago and silver mollies last weekend.  the mollies were pregnant, so now there are about thirty babies in the tank.  sammy is a proud little mommy now.  its been a fun project with her.  now i need to come up with something for kyle in august.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 09:15:35 »
Teach Kyle how to pick locks...it's the gift that keeps on giving.

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 09:17:32 »
that could work.  maybe i will get him a homebrew kit.  then he could give me presents.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 09:53:20 »
Teach Kyle how to pick locks...it's the gift that keeps on giving.

Ohhhh help us if you ever have kids!!!   :o

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 09:54:51 »
Picutres would be great Rick! ;D

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 13:58:32 »
I am glad to have help out Rick. I would like to see some pics as well. I have been tossing around the thought of setting up a freshwater tank just for the heck of it.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 22:23:09 »
Any new updates/pics on your daughters tank Rick?

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 20:29:25 »
here is the proud momma showing off.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 21:50:30 »
Awwww, very nice Rick! 

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 23:15:50 »
Wow that really looks good Rick. How did you end up fixing the noisy light fixture? Did you install a new ballast?

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 11:52:18 »
i didnt do anything to the light.  with bubbling noises in the tank, you cant hear the hum from the light anyway.