2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Jacks prices (aka highway robbery!)  (Read 5066 times)

Offline jhart

• Fry
Jacks prices (aka highway robbery!)
« on: April 12, 2009, 09:18:59 »
So, I was in the Lyons Jacks the other day- just browsing for some stuff for my wife's uncles tank and thought I would glance at the salt stuff. They had 2 flame angels that no joke were MAYBE 2.5" long, they were marked as LARGE (!) with a regular price of $89.99 (!!) and were on sale for $80.99 (!!!). After I picked my eyeballs up off the floor I wandered over to their reef tank and saw they had caulerpa for $4.00 an ounce OR the bargain price of $64.00 A POUND, when I got a pound of 3 or 4 different kinds at Coral Ranch for $16 (!!!!!!!!!). I ususally go to the one in Sugarcreek and yeah they all have high prices, but, seriously? Seriously?

I'm not trying to "slam" the franchise or say anything derrogatroy towards the way they operate because I worked for Jacks years ago and I know how they get threir fish and you are more or less stuck with whatever the vendors send you regardless of what you ordered (I know the guys at Coral Ranch don't operate like this but we all know that not everyone is honest and fair). I guess it's just kinda sad because they probably will never sell those fish without a massive price drop, and if someone actually does buy one for that price I would feel sorry for them getting burnt, but they should have done alot of research before bringing a fish like that home IMO.

Sorry for ranting on and on but that just blew my mind.
40 breeder reef

Offline Viggen

Re: Jacks prices (aka highway robbery!)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 09:54:24 »
they have always been overprices & many times (don't take this the wrong way) but their employees are clueless!!  I have been to the sugarcreek one a few time (I like how it's setup, the dayton mall one is a dump) & the guy I talked to there a week or so ago was really nice & he admitted to me numerous times he is totally clueless with saltwater stuff, just barely knows freshwater!! 

Anyways, every once in a while they have good deals but I have no clue when I purchased something from them last. 

With them being at the mercy of their suppliers that's something that every retailer deals with. 
300g tub o fish

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 10:33:00 »
Easy issue to resolve......Don't go there :D

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 10:45:22 »
Easy issue to resolve......Don't go there :D

I could not have said it better myself.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 11:27:40 »
The one in Sidney isnt too bad. I drop in now and then to see what they have. Ive gotten some decent deals there a time or two.

They used to have a couple employees that were fairly knowledgeable on saltwater, but they are no longer there. Probably went on to something bigger and better.

Offline lightningfront

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 13:32:35 »
they have decent prices on aquariums when they are on sale. When I was looking for a 46 bowfront I was getting quotes in the $140-150 range, went to jacks and they had them on sale for $100. They just had a large aquarium sale a few months ago and a 125 was like $199 I think. I wouldn't buy saltwater livestock from there though. I do go once a month and get a free snail as I signed up for the fish of the month club a while ago when I was keeping cichlids.
28 NanoCube CF Quad

My tank thread
http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=8341

Offline jhart

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 19:11:03 »
I agree- usually that is the last place I look for livestock but I was just blown away at the prices. The only reason I really get anything there anymore is for my daughter's bio-cube (freshwater) because we have the FOM card and it saves a couple $, and like you say the sale prices they have are pretty good sometimes so as long as I find something on sale and use the FOM discount I'll end up getting a good deal.
40 breeder reef

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 15:22:00 »
The one in Sidney isnt too bad. I drop in now and then to see what they have. Ive gotten some decent deals there a time or two.

They used to have a couple employees that were fairly knowledgeable on saltwater, but they are no longer there. Probably went on to something bigger and better.

Not true! Rich is the man! Has been very helpful to me, prices are abit much though. But he always does a good job explaining everything.

Offline todd141

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 10:40:53 »
The Jack's on Wilmington Pike has a sale on a Saddleback Clown with severe pop-eye.  Another fish in a different salty tank (can't remember what type of fish he was) had already lost an eye.

I agree with the comment above - that they have decent sales on tanks sometimes.  But seeing all the aptaisia in the tanks and then the 2 sick fish in there was sad.

Offline starfishie

• Fry
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 13:59:30 »
The Jack's by the dayton mall is terrible too. I went there as a kid so I wanted to see the store again and it is bad, the prices are crazy and their stock is in poor health. There were tons of dead fish in the tanks. :'( Plus on further inspection they sell kittens and puppies bought from breeders and keep them in rabbit displays that are tiny and one dog was probably 20+ lbs golden retriver in a bunnie keeper. People shouldn't spend money at a place that is not responsible for the animals they keep.

Tooltothetrade

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 11:33:46 »
The two guys over at Sugarcreek seem to have their stuff together, both pretty knowledgable and helpful.  I dont feel like they are forcing a sale on me.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 13:30:54 »
The two guys over at Sugarcreek seem to have their stuff together, both pretty knowledgable and helpful.  I dont feel like they are forcing a sale on me.
I agree.... Being fair, there is not a lot of places to go in the area to get supplies. The sugarcreek store has excellent customer service. They will price match almost everything. When I have bought fish there, they leave it in the shipment bag and call me, that way it is one less stressful moment the fish/coral has to go through. They have people in there who have enough knowledge to at least care for the tanks they have and not just watch them die.

Over the past few months they have started taking better care of live stock and cleaning up the tanks.

I starting treating them like people and not just the evil JACKS and made an effort to get to know the associates that work there. My family can now stop in and we are greeted by name. I am told of any good buys coming up and asked if I will be needing anything placed on their weekly order.

I ending, all I am trying to say is that each store is different.Anyone can walk in on a bad day and find flaws. I go there 1 or 2 times a week, have made a few suggestions (which they actually did :)  ) and I am seeing a noticeable improvement. This particular store is worth watching.

~Kenn

Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 20:04:52 »
I agree.... Being fair, there is not a lot of places to go in the area to get supplies. The sugarcreek store has excellent customer service. They will price match almost everything. When I have bought fish there, they leave it in the shipment bag and call me, that way it is one less stressful moment the fish/coral has to go through. They have people in there who have enough knowledge to at least care for the tanks they have and not just watch them die.

Over the past few months they have started taking better care of live stock and cleaning up the tanks.

I starting treating them like people and not just the evil JACKS and made an effort to get to know the associates that work there. My family can now stop in and we are greeted by name. I am told of any good buys coming up and asked if I will be needing anything placed on their weekly order.

I ending, all I am trying to say is that each store is different.Anyone can walk in on a bad day and find flaws. I go there 1 or 2 times a week, have made a few suggestions (which they actually did :)  ) and I am seeing a noticeable improvement. This particular store is worth watching.

~Kenn

The Sidney store has one guy with half a clue. Rich.

And prices are INSANE. Well most of the times. You should see some of the Zoa Colonys I have practically stole from them :D 100 Polyps for $20? SURE!

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 20:12:17 »
I check Sidney store all the time. They do have good deals every now and then.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 20:17:01 »
I check Sidney store all the time. They do have good deals every now and then.

Don't happen to have Cricket and drive a red GTU do you?

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 11:22:43 »
I kept snakes for 25 years and had several birds and fw tanks and marine tanks.

Over the years I have seen Sick and dying snakes birds and fish in several jacks stores and pointed it out to employees. But usually they are defensive and act like they know more than anyone else because of jacks training. Then there are times when I've run across a worker who does know their stuff. But the prices have always been high because they kinda monopolize the region. The tank 'sales are always the best.

Has anyone ever been /know of Rose City pet store in Richmond IN.? We use to go over there for snakes and fish. We could order what ever we wanted and they would call us upon arrival. Prices were very good; cust. service-very good. Trying to find them on line has not been successful. Dont know if they are still open or what.
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 16:03:05 »
Nope sorry, I have Verizon, and drive a white Neon most of the time. ;D ;)

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 16:29:30 »
Whats with the Second Gen thing? RX-7?

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 19:28:32 »
Great Picture Dave!  :)

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 19:32:55 »
I kept snakes for 25 years and had several birds and fw tanks and marine tanks.

Over the years I have seen Sick and dying snakes birds and fish in several jacks stores and pointed it out to employees. But usually they are defensive and act like they know more than anyone else because of jacks training. Then there are times when I've run across a worker who does know their stuff. But the prices have always been high because they kinda monopolize the region. The tank 'sales are always the best.

Has anyone ever been /know of Rose City pet store in Richmond IN.? We use to go over there for snakes and fish. We could order what ever we wanted and they would call us upon arrival. Prices were very good; cust. service-very good. Trying to find them on line has not been successful. Dont know if they are still open or what.

Rose City Pet Shop Inc    ( Rose City Pet Shop Inc)
3400 E Main St
Richmond, IN  47374
Phone:    (765) 962-4588

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 22:00:19 »
Thanks man,
A friend of mine went over there twice and said he couldnt find it even tho I told him exactly where it was. I couldnt get a number from 411 or web yellow pages so I thought it was closed.
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!