2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Time to start adding fish to the 180  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Mussin

• Adult
Time to start adding fish to the 180
« on: November 01, 2020, 17:07:56 »
So far I just have a small pair of clowns in the 180. Tank is getting over the ugly stage.. Time to start adding fish.  Look g for suggestions.  I'm looking to put maybe 4 tangs in along with some other fish. Open top so no jumpers (wrasse) looking for some abnormal tangs

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Time to start adding fish to the 180
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 09:15:52 »
Tangs can be real butt heads. Seems they each will have different personalities so it’s somewhat of a crapshoot as to what you get. It is hard to get multiple tangs to get along as they get bigger. My little powder brown and desjardini are pretty good together. Had to move my powder blue to my frag tank before it killed my powder brown. My yellow basically killed a new copperband and I had a purple that harassed my idol till I got rid of it. I would recommend a couple favorites and not push your luck with too many
Jeff

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 19:09:53 »
Give us some choices Jeremy. Tangs go last but you probably already know that. Butterflies? Some nice ones that stay smaller. Anthias? Yellow watchman goby? Too much fun filling a 180!

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 21:45:50 »
I would resist the urge to get a blue hippo tang. Hard to keep healthy. My personal favorite is the Chocolate tang and Powder tangs (still risky). Best to add them at the same time if you can.

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 00:56:43 »
I love the copperband butterfly. Just no luck keeping them for longer than 6 months or so.. Not a fan of hippos. I really like the kole. Yellow or purple. Blonde naso and clown. Powders are sweet but I've herd ick magnets.

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 09:02:35 »
Are there any butterflys that are reef safe?

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 09:37:07 »
I would say not many.  Some claim the Klein’s is but my experience with them says different. The Copperband and the Pyramid both seem to be. Never tried a Copperband in my reef but I have a Yellow Pyramid in my 120 reef and it has harmed no corals after a couple years. They are supposed to be herbivores but it does nothing for algae control either.