2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: What is the best way to dose?  (Read 2460 times)

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
What is the best way to dose?
« on: April 05, 2012, 11:10:04 »
I am working on getting  my tank ready for corals. I noticed on my last water test that calcium was a little on the low side. Not sure what is consuming calcium in my tank but it is @ 375 ppm. I would rather learn how to dose cal now rather than wait till I have corals in there that need it. My kh is @ 8.1 dkh & mg is @ 1340 ppm. All 3 have come down in the past couple weeks. Thanks for any help.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: What is the best way to dose?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 11:46:10 »
You can do it manually, just use a measuring cup.    If you want to automate it, you can get peristaltic dosing pumps.   And then run them on a timer.

If you go Auto.  You only need to does Ca and Alk automatically.   The Mg can be added weekly or monthly.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 11:58:30 »
If does manually, would that need to be done daily, weekly?
Is it best to use liquid? Where is the best place to buy it?
Sorry I have so many questions. I find so many differant opinions on the net. I trust what I learn here,

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 12:53:06 »
Daily is by far the best.   But if you have a very small load, then you can do less frequently.   The big thing is to keep the parameters as stable as possible.

I would read the information from Randy Holmes-Farely, just google him.  Also, here is a calculator for figuring out doses http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html

You can buy any of the 2 part.   The ESV is a good product, but this will get pricey.   http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/ESV151.html

You can make your own, This is the best recipe   http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php, and you can get the products from www.bulkreefsupply.com

Offline The WuSue

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 14:12:45 »
I need to find a way to rig dozing pumps to the apex.lite. mostly just a matter of getting to it...  It's flabbergasting how much more I need to dose with the same amount of coral in a larger body of water with better lights. The amount I used to dose monthly, I need to do almost twice a week now.  Corals are loving it, but my wallet won't stop screaming...

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 15:39:25 »
I need to find a way to rig dozing pumps to the apex.lite. mostly just a matter of getting to it...  It's flabbergasting how much more I need to dose with the same amount of coral in a larger body of water with better lights. The amount I used to dose monthly, I need to do almost twice a week now.  Corals are loving it, but my wallet won't stop screaming...

Finding it hard to plug the pump into an apex outlet?  :-Poke

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 15:41:49 »
My calcium is dropping even before any corals, so I can only imagine what it would be like when I do. Does everyone have to dose cal? I don't mind buying stuff (the kids can go without shoes & such). But if theres another way, change of salt maybe, that may save a lil $green$. 
Thanks for the info Walltank.

Offline The WuSue

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 17:29:30 »
Read somewhere that dosing pumps are very finicky and need a hard shut off.  Also I have done zero research on the subject (0). And was not aware that dosing pumps could be plugged into an outlet. The model I saw was only able to plug into its own type of controller. Not that I'd be difficult to switch that to a plug but....Meh its been a long week and my brain is full.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 17:30:42 »
A lot of things use Calcium.  Snails, clams, anything with a hard shell.   What do you have in your tank?

If you think your Calcium and Alkalinity load is going to be small.   You can just use Kalkwasser, and drip that in for your top off water.    Although I know that Slandis does this with a large system load.......he just uses a big Kalkwasser reactor.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 17:36:40 »
Read somewhere that dosing pumps are very finicky and need a hard shut off.  Also I have done zero research on the subject (0). And was not aware that dosing pumps could be plugged into an outlet. The model I saw was only able to plug into its own type of controller. Not that I'd be difficult to switch that to a plug but....Meh its been a long week and my brain is full.

If you have a apex, just get.   http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/PA-AD.html   
or
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/pumps-and-plumbing/dosing-pumps-and-auto-top-off-systems/brs-2-part-doser-1-1-ml-per-minute.html

And then you need to run them on one of the relay outputs on the EB8.

Or the cats-meow option is to get this, and just program how much volume you want to add.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/pumps-and-plumbing/dosing-pumps-and-auto-top-off-systems/litermeter-iii-3-peristaltic-dosing-pump.html
and add on a second pump
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/pumps-and-plumbing/dosing-pumps-and-auto-top-off-systems/litermeter-remote-pump-module.html

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 17:43:20 »
I have 4 snails 5 hermits & 5 fish. I just added tumpet coral the other day about 15 heads. I havn't checked it since I put those in.

Looks like I will making an order for brs next week. If anyone is interested let me know.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 21:24:01 »
That is ,not much.    You might be able to manage with just water changes.  But if you are going to get more into corals, then i would get used to dosing.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 21:37:31 »
My alk is down to 7.0 dkh. How much do I know to dose? I know I'm not supposed to bring it up fast. So is there a rule of thumb here? Thanks for any help.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 21:45:31 »

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 21:47:52 »
Cool thanks. My alk should be in the 9.0-10.0 right?

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 22:18:20 »
I wouldn't bump it more than 1 dkh per 24 hours, and dose it slooooowly.

If I need to bump my alk by 2 dkh (36g of baking soda, based on my volume), I'll take an empty, clean quart container I have on hand, put a couple cups of RO/DI water in it, put 18g of baking soda into it, close the lid and shake it til the soda dissolves.

Then I set that on the edge of my sump and then grab a foot of airline tubing. I tie a knot in one end of the tubing, then attach the other end to a piece of hard tubing. I put the hard tubing into the container, and suck on the knotted end to get the siphon started. I drip into a high flow area of my sump, at a rate of about one drop every 2-3 seconds. If it's too fast, tighten the knot a bit. If it's too slow, open up the knot some.

I'd repeat that the next day, after testing again (might have to add more than 18g of soda, since a day has passed and some alkalinity was consumed.)

A good ballpark to aim for is 9-11dkh.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 22:23:17 »
Thanks Ashlar.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 22:44:02 »
No problem!

Generally, if you're just getting started, there's probably not a huge demand for ca/alk/mg. You could just do manual dosing every couple of days until that gets to be a pain.

Then you could step up to something like kalkwasser (mrs wage's pickling lime + RO/DI). Once demand goes up even more, you might want to consider 2-part dosing with a peristaltic pump, or even a calcium reactor with a solenoid and CO2 tank.

manual -> kalk -> dosing pump -> ca reactor .. I think of those in that order as being both simplest -> complicated as well as cheapest -> expensive.

For calcium supplements, you can get a big bucket from a pool supply store (or BRS), and it'll last years. For alkalinity, baking soda (either plain, or baked in the oven), and for magnesium, you can use epsom salts and mag flake.

For me, I'm doing a dosing pump and 2 part. I just don't have room for that CO2 tank, reactor, etc under my sump.

Offline referinohio

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 11:27:17 »
I use a calcium reactor. Once dialed in works great. DKH 9-10. Calcium stays at about 450-460. Run my top off thru a Kalk reactor. A water change every 2 weeks seems to keep my Magnesium where its supposed to be.