2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Help with pH  (Read 2678 times)

Offline stickboy_107

• Adult
  • GIVE ME ONE OF EVERYTHING [just dont tell my wife]
Help with pH
« on: April 06, 2009, 20:55:12 »
Here is the situation. I lost a tang last night. I got a water sample to take to the LFS for testing. They said the pH was 7.8. I came home and tested the salinity and it was 1.024. I took 6 gallons of saltwater out and added 6 gallons of RO water. Retested the salinity and it was at 1.022. I tested the pH and it says it is at 8.1. Now I am wondering if I should add this Kent superbuffer-dkH that the LFS said I should add in order to raise the pH or did the 6 gallons of RO water work to get my pH back to where it should be. I have been told that the normal level is 8.0-8.3. Is that correct? If I have to add the Kent, it says to add 1tsp to a glass of water per 30 gallons. Is that an 8oz glass? I have a 135g tank. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks Guys!

Reefd Up

Re: Help with pH
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 21:44:23 »
My first question is, why did you replace the saltwater with freshwater?  Normal reef-tank salinity is 1.025-1.026 (some fish-only tanks are run a slight bit lower). 

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 21:49:27 »
My first question is, why did you replace the saltwater with freshwater?  Normal reef-tank salinity is 1.025-1.026 (some fish-only tanks are run a slight bit lower). 

I'm wondering the same thing...

Blown76mav

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 21:56:17 »
My ph ranges from 7.7-8.0 daily.  7.8 shouldn't have killed the Tang.  If anything I would have added more saltwater to the batch to raise the SG a little.  The 1tsp to a glass of water, the amount of water doesn't matter its just to disolve the powder.  And that is a temporary fix at best at least in my opinion.  I've added it and the next day the ph was back down.

Did the Tang have Ich? or something picking on it?  How long have you had the Tang and did your QT him?

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 22:03:36 »
I have had my ph dip down around 7.8 or lower and never lost a fish I would look for another problem and like the others said your salinity was fine.  If you don't mind me asking what store did you have your water tested at?

Offline stickboy_107

• Adult
  • GIVE ME ONE OF EVERYTHING [just dont tell my wife]
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 23:39:22 »
Replaced saltwater with freshwater because the LFS and IO package said salinity should not be over 1.022. IO package says if too high to add dechlorinated water. No visible ich on the fish. Tang hid in the rocks from the moment in the tank, and none of the bigger fish could get to it.  Jack's Aquarium tested it on Saturday and said it was at 8.0 and that it was fine.The LFS that tested and said pH was not right (7.8) was Petland, and they tested on Monday. Not sure what could have happened to the level in 2 days, all other levels checked out perfect.

Blown76mav

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 23:47:33 »
I use IO and it says Note: 1 1/2 lbs of IO is formulated to make 5 gallons of water a SG 1.022 

That is just a reference to how much you should start at when making 5 gallons of saltwater.  They are not saying SG should be 1.022.  I usually use 1/2 cup per gallon and then adjust from there, usually I have to add another 1/2 to 1 cup to bring it up to 1.025.

Did you quarantine the tang and what kind of Tang was it?

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 07:28:28 »
Your Salinity was fine, the person(s) who told you other wise are not knowledgeable. What was the method of testing your salinity? Those cheepie plastic hydrometers are not very accurate. If this type of hydrometer is what is being used to test your water, I would suggest that you use only one hydrometer to measure your waters S.G. If your hydrometer at home is inaccurate, it will be consistent in it's inaccuracy which, assuming that it is close to accurate, is better to maintain it at that constant value versus adjusting it because some one else's hydrometer measures the S.G differently.  May be a thought to either buy a refracometer or at least have your hydrometer calibrated against a refractometer.

If your aquarium genuinely had a ph of 7.8, what contributed to it dropping? If the RO water you added to dilute your aquariums salinity was good quality RO water, it would not have raised your PH. If it did in fact raise your PH, it was not quality water. Have you tested this RO water or are you guessing it is good quality? What is the TDS of this RO water? Are you certain the results of these ph tests were accurate? What brand test kit was used? How qualified was the person(s) who performed the test? From your description, either the tests performed were inaccurate or that was bad RO water. What about your waters other parameters? Because your considering using super buffer, what is your alk? This is very important to have determined prior to this products use. You easily can cause much more problems than solve problems if mis application is done. If your ALK is fine and your adding Super buffer, you can raise your alk to high very easily. This product and products like it must be used very carefully, if you add it full strength like the instructions suggest, it will almost instantly raise your alk & ph. This is very stressful to just about everything living in your aquarium. Adding very small doses over several days is a more desirable method. If your ph was legitimately 7.8 and you have already raised it to 8.1, you have already cause a bunch of stress to your aquariums inhabitants, if additional adjustment is needed, take it very slow. Additionally, back to my question of what contributed to your ph droping, if you have not determined what dropped it and corrected it, the adding of a buffer my be temperary. In other words if you have not addressed / removed what caused the problem in the first place, the problem will still be present in your water, the buffers affect will short lived. This is even more harmful to your aquarium than just leaving the ph at 7.8.

If you don't have a test kit, you really need a good quality one. If you do have one, what brand & why have the inexperienced people at the local chain stores test it for you? A test kit should not be considered a luxury item, it is a must have piece of equipment when owning a salt water aquarium. You need to test regularly so you can learn what your aquarium does and so you can determine if what maintenance your performing is adequate.

To really be able to offer responsible advise, answer the following question. This will give a better picture of what is going on and make it easier to give some ideas on what to do.

What size aquarium?

How long has it been set up?

What type of filtration system do you have?

What type of maintenance do you perform and how often?

What live stock do you maintain in your aquarium?

Specifically, what are your waters parameters;

S.G.
PH
ALK
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphate
(If Keeping live rock & Corals?) Calcium & Mag

How long and constant have these values been maintained and stable?

I don't see anything that stands out that would have killed your yellow tang. May just have been a poor quality fish. Did you, or who you got it from,  perform a quarantine process before putting it into your aquarium? Was it eating and if so, what? Any sign of disease or parasites? How long did you have it? What was the quality of the enviroment it came from? I don't know that I can offer any advise as to why your tang died but with the above questions answered, I'm for sure that you can get some answers that will keep you waters parameters more stable which in turn will increase the success of your tanks inhabitants.

Joel

Offline fishnuttoo

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 23:19:54 »
nice post joel, i loved your carbon post .....

keep em coming!