2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Phosban Change out Schedule?  (Read 2894 times)

Offline METZCOOL

• Adult
Phosban Change out Schedule?
« on: April 14, 2009, 21:13:07 »
Those of you that run Phosban reactors, how often to you change out your Phosban?
RO/DI water with 0 phosphates going in when doing water changes.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
Re: Phosban Change out Schedule?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 21:18:51 »
Every other month with my ROWA and every month with my carbon.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 23:55:04 »
I was doing it once a month however I just bought a Hanna Low Range Phosphate Photometer. So I will be running tests to see when the GFO actually expires. Does not really help you now but I will post up as testing progresses over the next couple of months. Maybe sooner if I find it expires sooner then that.

Actually as I am typing realizing that it is probably different for everyones tank depending on bioload and feeding regimen. With that said the only way to know for sure is to test your phosphate levels once you start seeing a rise you know it is expired. May be a lot of testing at first like once a week but it would be good to know in the long run so you are not wasting that expensive GFO.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~Hanna_Instruments_Phosphate_(LR)_Photometer_with_890_nm_LED_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Testing_Equipment_Monitors___Controllers_Single_Item_Monitors___Controllers~vendor~Hanna_Instruments~SearchStr~hanna~action~view~idProduct~HN1191~idCategory~FITEMOID.html

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 06:32:53 »
From what I've read, you can run a PO4 test on the water coming directly out of the reactor.  If it's at 0 you are good to go.  If it shows numbers (or numbers higher than you normally have) it's time for a change. 

Offline jeblin

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 07:12:52 »
Every other month with my ROWA and every month with my carbon.

Not all of us are running 10,000 gallon systems though   :laugh:

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 10:57:57 »
From what I've read, you can run a PO4 test on the water coming directly out of the reactor.  If it's at 0 you are good to go.  If it shows numbers (or numbers higher than you normally have) it's time for a change. 

Hey Micki that is a great idea. I will try that to see if I get diffrent readings on the Hanna.

Offline METZCOOL

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 13:29:54 »
Thanks All,
Phosphate meter on the way, as if I needed a reason for another equipment purchase. ;D

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 00:50:08 »
Thanks All,
Phosphate meter on the way, as if I needed a reason for another equipment purchase. ;D

Cool what kind did you get?

Offline METZCOOL

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 07:42:09 »
Ended up getting this one.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 07:50:40 »
 ;D I like it

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 08:47:08 »
Phosphates tend to leech into rock rather than stay floating in the water column. Even a high end phosphate meter may not be able to give an accurate reading of how much phosphate is in your system.

The truth is that if you have elevated phosphates phosban could very well be exhausted in a 24 hour period. It all depends on what is your system. Setting guidelines is useless unless you have phosphates under control and simply run phosban as monthly maintenance. As far as GFO in general is concerned you need to figure out where the phosphates are coming from rather than running phosban ever month. That stuff is not cheap! If you could fix the issue with better skimming, growing macroalgae, or more water changes you could save yourself a few dollars.

In my case I used dry rock in my tank and did not soak it for long enough. I knew I had phosphates trapped there. I was able to run phosban a few times and take care of the issue.