2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Updates on Red Sea Salt?  (Read 4684 times)

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
    • Real Job:  HunnyBuns Nursery & Reborn Supply
Updates on Red Sea Salt?
« on: March 27, 2010, 20:52:45 »
I'm reading with interest Nikki's thread and a few other assorted posts on RSCP salt. 

I've always used Instant Ocean, and when I set up this new tank last summer I bought the Reef Crystals version.  Always had good water parameters chemistry wise.  Now I've done two pretty large water changes using the RS, and I'm seeing problems.  My alkalinity is not holding, pH is dropping, my new zoas won't open, my new acro frag is suffering, etc. 

Anyone have any current comments on the Red Sea salt? 

-Steph
--------------
What do you call an old reefer with no tank? 
:-(
-----------------------------

Offline reefman

• Adult
Re: Updates on Red Sea Salt?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 21:00:35 »
I never had an issue with Red Sea Coral Pro

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 21:02:36 »
i havent tryd it  have heard great things about it
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 21:03:13 »
I have a comment, and although I have never met you, do not take offense to what I am about to say. Go back to basics and what worked for you in the beginning and stop trying to be a chemist. Most salt brands have all the elements a reef needs, and are usually replaced via water changes.
Chromiumlux

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 21:03:20 »
i havent tryd it  have heard great things about it

Yes, me too Hunger, which is why I switched.
-Steph
--------------

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 21:07:41 »
I have a comment, and although I have never met you, do not take offense to what I am about to say. Go back to basics and what worked for you in the beginning and stop trying to be a chemist. Most salt brands have all the elements a reef needs, and are usually replaced via water changes.

No offense, I appreciate your input.  But see, "what worked in the past" doesn't apply too well.  Last time I had a sizeable reef tank was about 7-8 yrs ago and a lot seems to have changed.  I did have a 20 gal nano for a while but never did much with it.  Just had some teflon softies and a couple fish.  Very low tech. 

I want to expand my knowledge and do SPS.  It seems that I do need to learn more chemistry if I'm to be successful with SPS.  Do you agree or disagree? 

-Steph
--------------

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 21:15:28 »
Nothing wrong with Red Sea and an SPS coral tank.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 21:25:23 »
Yes Steph, I agree that you will need to do your research in order to keep sps. However, you would do well to research the corals you want to keep before trying to figure out what you need to add to your water in order to keep them. At the very basic level, all that is needed to keep sps corals are; good lighting via metal halide or the new led systems; good water movement---preferably a wave action; good solid water changes; a good skimmer as this will remove the nasties that accumulate; and last but not least a good method of replacing alkalinity,calcium, and magnesium--via kalk or two part dosing. of course a good refugium setup is very beneficial as well.
I have a 30g finnex that is loaded with sps that are thriving with just the above mentioned "musts" Pm me and I will give you info to view it
Chromiumlux

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 21:39:13 »
Chromiumlux, I agree with everything you said.  And, actually I have been researching/planning/dreaming of an SPS tank for a long time.  I do know what SPS require.  I've also been sold some corals and told that they should do fine in my system - by those who know what I was running.  So that's that.

I'll be honest; I have memory issues now that are really working against me.  I used to work for a LFS, so I'm no novice.  But I have difficulty since my cancer treatments (called chemo fog or chemo brain--whatever) that makes it hard to recall all the minutia that used to simply come to mind instantly for me.  Embarrassing, but it is what it is.

So some things I learn over and over, lol.  I have more books now than ever before for reference. 

If you've been following my other threads and it seems you have, I've been upgrading my lighting, adding a sump, increasing water movement, basically constantly doing everything I can afford to do to get this tank in "SPS shape".  I use Kent Tech CB (2 part dosing), but I may just go back to good old kalkwasser, since I'm not willing to spend the money for a calcium reactor at this time. 

I'll PM you, because I'm interested in your success.  Thanks!!

-Steph
--------------

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 21:43:29 »
and last but not least a good method of replacing alkalinity,calcium, and magnesium--via kalk or two part dosing. of course a good refugium setup is very beneficial as well.

SPS is all about stability.  I use RSCP, not because of the name, but I do so, because it closely matches the parameters that I keep my tank.  I have used other salts, and got tired of adjusting the parameters on the new salt water.   Which is really the important part when doing water changes.......make sure the mix matches your tank as close as possible.

Water changes are used to refresh trace elements, and is really not used to control Alk, CA.   Like Chromiumlux said, you need to research dosing.   Buy a good two part, or look in our links section for the DIY two part.   Then keep your self a log book of test parameters and how much you are adding.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 21:45:40 »
I am sorry to hear about your cancer. It is not something to be embarased about. And my hat is off to you for your diligence in getting through it. I meant no offense. i am only trying to help.
Chromiumlux

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 21:51:00 »
Water changes are used to refresh trace elements, and is really not used to control Alk, CA.   Like Chromiumlux said, you need to research dosing.   Buy a good two part, or look in our links section for the DIY two part.   Then keep your self a log book of test parameters and how much you are adding.

By doing a water change, I wasn't trying to control the alkalinity or calcium, but those are part of the elements that should have been refreshed with a water change, correct?  

I've been using a two part.  Kent Tech CB.  And I keep a log book too.  One thing I'm not certain of is, when you continue to add Tech CB to the tank, why the calcium goes up while pH and alk come down. Although the variable, in case you didn't see my other thread this evening, is dosing Vitamin C.  I've started out small there, as we all know you don't shock your system doing anything stupid like adding a huge amount of acid all at once.  So although it's possibly a factor, the small amounts I've added so far don't seem to me to account for the drops.  I suspect I just don't have the buffering capacity I thought I might and once I get that up to levels the other stuff should be ok, right?
-Steph
--------------

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 21:54:36 »
I am sorry to hear about your cancer. It is not something to be embarased about. And my hat is off to you for your diligence in getting through it. I meant no offense. i am only trying to help.

It's all good  :)  It's only been a couple months since I realized I had this.   At first I was scared I was losing my mind, now I know it's a real thing for cancer patients.  But I'm doing good, and no offense at all.  I appreciate your help, everyone's!

-Steph
--------------

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 21:59:14 »
When changing salts it is always best to do small frequent changes as to not upset the balance. it will take a while to change over 100%. dont try to do it all at once. This will shock your system and that is a probable cause for your drops
Chromiumlux

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 22:01:53 »
By doing a water change, I wasn't trying to control the alkalinity or calcium, but those are part of the elements that should have been refreshed with a water change, correct?  

I've been using a two part.  Kent Tech CB.  And I keep a log book too.  One thing I'm not certain of is, when you continue to add Tech CB to the tank, why the calcium goes up while pH and alk come down. Although the variable, in case you didn't see my other thread this evening, is dosing Vitamin C.  I've started out small there, as we all know you don't shock your system doing anything stupid like adding a huge amount of acid all at once.  So although it's possibly a factor, the small amounts I've added so far don't seem to me to account for the drops.  I suspect I just don't have the buffering capacity I thought I might and once I get that up to levels the other stuff should be ok, right?

You should try to match your new mix to your current tank parameters.  Doing a 20 gal water change would not have much of a boosting affect......and making a rapid change would not be good anyway.

Adjust your doses of the two part.......they don't have to be even.  If you Ca is where you want it, then back off on that part to try to maintain.

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 22:06:42 »
You should try to match your new mix to your current tank parameters.  Doing a 20 gal water change would not have much of a boosting affect......and making a rapid change would not be good anyway.

I may be misunderstanding you but this doesn't make sense to me.  If my current tank parameters are OFF, what's to try and match?  I'm trying to bring them back in line with NSW values.

Adjust your doses of the two part.......they don't have to be even.  If you Ca is where you want it, then back off on that part to try to maintain.
  I wondered if this might work.  Just using part 2 which is the buffer.  I'll try that, thanks.
-Steph
--------------

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 22:46:10 »

+1  Cal and Alk are a balancing act. One being too high can drive the other down and no amount of dosing will bring it back up, the excess will just precipitate.  Ideally corals will consume them balanced and you will supplement them balanced, but things can get out of whack.  Is you Mag normal, it affects their balance also.  Ready anything by Randy-Holmes Farley and its good stuff.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 23:34:47 »
+1, Wes.  I just read that again today in my Marine Chemistry book.  When Ca goes up over 500 or so, it precipitates out of solution.  I've actually done that, years ago in my 55 reef.  Made snow in my tank.  I don't think I've gone that high this time, though. 

I've never seen a book by Randy H-F, but I read his posts on RC with interest.  Right now I'm putting myself to sleep each night reading TRA 1 and then I'll start on TRA 3, and Reef Secrets by Nilsen & Fossa.  Amazon used booksellers are an awesome thing for us frugal reefers  ;D

Does Randy have a book you'd recommend?
-Steph
--------------

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 00:25:42 »
I dont think he has a book.  Just a ton of great articles in reefkeeping.com
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 00:40:16 »
Ah.  I don't get in there as much as I should.  But thanks.  I'll keep that in mind. 
-Steph
--------------

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 13:43:36 »
Doncha know  :D  I got to the chapter in TRA 1 last night on calcium and alkalinity!  Now let's see if I can retain any of what I read. 
-Steph
--------------

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 14:35:19 »
Does Randy have a book you'd recommend?

Here are the links to alot of his work.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102605

And Here is a link to what your trying to figure out

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 20:21:28 »
Thanks, lots of good stuff there.  I've been reading for over an hour now  ;)
-Steph
--------------

Reefd Up

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 08:34:34 »
Getting back to your original question, i have not heard anything negative against rscp in quite a while. I personally refuse to purchase their product again after they never responded to my salt concerns. Seems it was just a batch issue.

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 08:52:49 »
Getting back to your original question, i have not heard anything negative against rscp in quite a while. I personally refuse to purchase their product again after they never responded to my salt concerns. Seems it was just a batch issue.
, I dont think there is a salt out there that at one time or another hasnt had some bad batch and different complaints , there a article on renegade reefers site that tells all the different salts and there past problems, some good reading...

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 12:41:52 »
, I dont think there is a salt out there that at one time or another hasnt had some bad batch and different complaints , there a article on renegade reefers site that tells all the different salts and there past problems, some good reading...
  Link?
-Steph
--------------

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 14:34:28 »
  Link?
Im not quite how to post a link, so ill just tell you how to find it, hope i dont get in trouble for doing it, but its at renegadereefer.com, search salts on that site and it should come up for you some very good readings there, hope it helps you, and if they ban me for telling you this, then it was nice chatting with you! lol

Reefd Up

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 15:53:04 »
No one will get in trouble for posting a link to helpful info. We appreciate the link.   

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 21:11:57 »
Apparently I'll need to register to get the search function.  But thank you, I'll go check it out. 
-Steph
--------------