2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: almost ready for water...finally  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Shep

• Juvenile
almost ready for water...finally
« on: March 21, 2012, 12:12:39 »
after taking way longer than I would have imagined, I am about ready to fill my 54 gallon bowfront. It will be a FO tank (wet/dry) that I will be adding base and live rock as I go. Eventually, I would likle to think I will upgrade my light and try a few beginner corals. I live in rural Preble county. Up until about 5 years ago, when I got out of the hobby for a while,  I had kept FO salt tanks for about 15 years using tap water from my well. Now, as I get ready to put water in this thing, I am wondering if I should fill it with tap water or purchase and try to drag home 60 gallons of RO water. I have two thoughts here:

1.) fill it with tap water and start buying RO water to do my water changes...that way I can get going, I don't have to figure out a way to transport 60 gallons of RO water home and get it in the tank...and it won't take all that long till I have gradually replaced it all with RO water anyway between top offs and water changes, long before I am ready to try any corals (assuming that I eventually do)...

2.) bite the bullet and figure out a way to get all that RO water home from the get go...

any thoughts on tap (well) water to start out a FOWLR tank ?  :-\

thanks,
Shep

Offline HUNGER

Re: almost ready for water...finally
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 14:09:06 »
I would do #1 and then buy a ro unit
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 15:17:32 »
Option 1 kinda. I bought a brute trash can I fill it with tap water & filter it thru a canister filter for a few days. I then use that for my top offs. Beats dragging water from the lfs. I do have a cheap ro system if your interested.

Offline Shep

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 15:51:18 »
thanks fellas, that certainly was the way I was leaning...  :)

twizted: that is interesting...I have an eheim canister filter that is almost new that came with the tank, I think I'll try that too...do you put anything special in your canister filter when you do that ?

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 22:52:46 »
I use extra carbon in it. It helps with my well water. I just run it a few of days or longer & its good to go.

Offline Shep

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 08:44:55 »
great, with my Eheim canister setting around doing nothing, that is a perfect solution for me...  :)

thanx man...