2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Iodine Testing??  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Iodine Testing??
« on: June 23, 2012, 08:41:30 »
I have been reading about the need for proper iodine levels in reef tanks. So now I think I need to test & dose (as need) my tank for iodine. So now my question is. How many of you with mixed reef tank actually test and dose iodine? If so how often? Also what test kits do you use? I am eyeballin this kit, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4345+23772&pcatid=23772 . I seen a cheaper kit, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4345+13511&pcatid=13511 . But I like the red sea kits. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with either of these. Or maybe there is a better kit that I have not come across yet. Thanks

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Iodine Testing??
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 09:28:45 »
I don't test.    I have used the seachem ammonia and nitrite/nitrate tests.  I like the kits.  Not sure how well any of the kits do with accuracy on iodine.     I will occasionally put a few drops of lugols solution in the tank.   If your shrimp are molting, then there probably is not a need to be adding iodine.

Offline mrfish183

• Fry
Re: Iodine Testing??
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 21:13:11 »
I use the Red Sea Iodine Pro test kit.  It is easy to use and to interpret the results.  Without direct addition of I2 supplement, the test always showed low levels.  I have found the addition of 1/2 capful of TLFs Iodine concentrate every week for my 210 system is sufficient.  However, I haven't noticed any real change in my coloration, growth, etc. in the six months since starting this protocol.  I think you are probably OK w/o supplementation as long as you have a good water change program.  You might need supplementation if you have a softy dominated tank.