2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: test results 3 weeks in:  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Shep

• Juvenile
test results 3 weeks in:
« on: June 23, 2012, 12:27:12 »
well I have now had 2 clownfish in my 54 gallon corner for 3 weeks...running an e-shopps wet/dry filter...I dumped 70 gallons worth of Bio-Spira (from Instant Ocean) and added the clownfish right after...every week I change the filter pad in the wet/dry filter...I am beginning to wonder if I made a mistake by changing it out the first week, if there might not have been beneficial bacteria in the pad its self...anyways, I have seen no big spikes in ammonia or nitrates, but they seem to be a little high...don't know if it is normal for being only 3 weeks into it or if I should be concerned...my orange clown still eats very well, the black is still very picky and I am beginning to worry about that one...

using an A.P.I master test kit:

June 17 (two weeks in)
Ammonia = 0.25 ppm
PH           = 7.8 - 8.0
nitrite      = 0.25 ppm
nitrate     = 10

June 23 (three weeks in)
Ammonia = 0.25 - 0.5 ppm
PH           = 8.0
nitrite      = 0.25 ppm maybe less
nitrate     = 10

do these levels seem within the range to be expected in an aquarium that has only been going for three weeks... :-\

as always, any and all input is appreciated...now, off to the blues festival...!!!... 8)

Offline Shep

• Juvenile
Re: test results 3 weeks in:
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 12:28:29 »
forgot to add, the tank ran for about two weeks prior to adding the fish and the bio spira...

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 12:33:42 »
If you really have nitrates, then the cycle is starting.    3 weeks doesn't shock me.    Could go 4 or 5.    Clowns are pretty tough guys.... use a produce like Seachem Prime to bind the free ammonia.    That will the ammonia from being too damaging to the fish.

Offline Shep

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 09:18:48 »
thanks, that is kind of what I was thinking...

what about water changes during the cycle, part of me wants to do a parial water change to lower the ammonia, but then again I have read much about water changes during the cycle damaging or slowing the cycle...the general accepted rule of thumb seems to be during the cycle, do not change the water unless the ammonia gets to or above 1...

thanx again,
shep

Offline Fishfreak

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 09:55:14 »
Ive done water changes during the cycle with no problems. As long as you just take water out and not siphon the sand then you should be fine because you wont be taking good bacteria out, only reducing the ammonia/ nitrate levels.

Offline Shep

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 08:13:15 »
thanx, I have been doing 5 gallon water changes twice a week for the last couple weeks...ammonia and nitrites are at or very near zero, but the nitrates are still too high...

Shep

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 13:07:02 »
The worry that comes from water changes during a cycle doesn't come from sucking out the bacteria... rather it is sucking out the bacteria's food... the bacteria will only grow to match your bioload... just like anything else in nature there will be die off if you don't have enough food to go around....

By sucking out the ammonia/nitrite(water changes) you are creating a "false" bioload by lessening the amount of food the bacterias thrive on which break down and make the nitrogen cycle... By removing the ammonia and nitrite you run the risk of weaking your bacteria counts... This may be acceptable at first, but if you add too heavy of a bioload too quickly, you will overload your bacteria and they wont be able to keep up which will cause a spike in ammonia(as their isn't enough hungry mouths to break it down into a less harmful compound).... This is referred to as a "mini cycle" after your tank has already allegedly "cycled"... If this mini cycle is too great for your bio filtration, Your live stock could perish before the filtration can keep up...

Having a fish in there is a catch 22... you are removing ammonia to help keep him healthy and alive but in the same time by doing so you could be weakening your bacteria counts... this is why some recommend to feed as normal to an empty uncycled tank... so when you do add fish you can add them with little to no change in your bacteria loads as they are high from the food to begin with.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 17:42:24 »
Well said Cody.

Offline Shep

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 07:55:21 »
thanx for the info Cody...

Saturday will make 5 weeks and my nitrates are still high, ammonia and nitrates are near zero...I guess I will stop the water changes and watch/wait till the nitrates drop on their own...

Offline Shep

• Juvenile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 11:01:29 »
meant to say:

nitrates are still high, ammonia and nitr"i"tes are near zero