2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: STOP! READ THIS NOW!!!  (Read 9490 times)

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
  • 240 Gallon Tank with 125 refugium
Re: STOP! READ THIS NOW!!!
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2009, 22:27:24 »
As we have had our differances.  I truly am sorry for you.  That really sucks to have all that come crashing down and not be able to have any control over it.  Hope things turn around soon.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2009, 22:29:03 »
Sorry, but when things are this bad...saving the tank takes the majority of my time, not posting updates.

I contacted Red Sea, with no answer.  Yup, anticlimatic there.  A few corals have the start of polyps out, but whether they're all going to make it, I don't know.  My Lighthouse Acropora will be a gonner by this weekend.  I've been doing a 15g "dialysis" water change every other day.  The crashing process has stopped, but things aren't really improving either.  Sorry, just very anti-climatic.

I have pictures, but...I don't want to jinx myself by saying they're the worst.  I'll get them posted when I have a chance.

Sorry, but can ya blame me for not wanting to read this thread?  I'm doing everything I can...but I'm just watching 2 years of hard work die in front of me. 

So sorry to hear about what happened, Nikki.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2009, 20:46:51 »
Well everyone, I have some good news.  All but two corals have finally started extending polyps (most you can barely tell.)  Those two remaining corals are hanging on for dear life, but I doubt they'll make it (but I've been saying that for a while.) 

There's a ton of tissue damage, lots of recession.  Some of the color is starting to come back (but everything is pretty much dirt-brown or bleach-white.) 

We've been doing 10-15g water changes every other day since this thread was started...and even more some days.  I've run carbon and phosphate removal to help remove toxics/metal buildup. 

I never heard back from Red Sea, but I'm planning to email them again.  I'm 99% sure it was the salt.  I've had some interesting conversations with people regarding RSCP...and I think I'll bring the points up here.  First, my bucket was one of those small buckets, so it's on a separate line than the big buckets...so if it was machinery related, the problem probably won't affect the big buckets.  But, if there was a problem with the salt itself, it could affect everything. 

On a more controversial level...RSCP salt is taken directly from the ocean.  The reps advertise how this salt has every trace element corals will need.  Well...what about all the stuff in the ocean that corals DON'T need?  The reps claim that gold is in their salt...do corals need that?  I have no clue.  My point is, oceans erode land, which can bring up toxins to the corals.  So, that toxic water can be pumped, dried, and sold.  If it was a heavy toxic element, it would sink to the bottom of the salt pile...and whoever got the bottom batch may have a ton of bad stuff.  In the ocean, yeah, the toxins will be diluted.  But, take those toxins and put them into a 40g aquarium that only has its water changed 10% per week.  We don't know what all is toxic to corals, but things are...and I'm wondering how RS controls that.

But anyway, sorry for my rant.  Thanks to all who've offered their support, fresh saltwater, and time.  If for nothing else, we can view this as a reminder that even if our chemicals all test right, things can still be majorly wrong. 

On a really positive note... I've got a 150 gallon aquarium on the way!!!!! 

Bigmoo

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2009, 21:40:45 »
Well glad to hear things are coming around for you Nikki, it is a real shame. I must say that your thoughts on the collection of salt and what may get by the quality control process is a good point. I have been reluctant to post but now that hopefully the worst is over for you I will share. Probably two or three days before you posted this I used RSCP for the first time on a 10% (reef crystals till then). It was from a small bucket that I won at the January meeting. Within a few hours my skimmer went crazy and was pulling out a lot of stuff. The next day most of my Zoa's were closed up and the polyps on my Kenya was all tucked in. After reading this I immediately began mixing up a batch of reef crystals and did a 25% the next day. It took a day or so and the Zoa's opened back up (some dissolved) and a few days later the Kenya was doing much better. I hope that it was a mere coincidence but thought I would share. Oh yes, I also ran a magnet through the bucket and pulled out a amount about the size of an eraser (diameter, not a huge pile). I would have to say that the size of the metal was nearly the size of the salt nothing like the pic above but still large enough to feel grit between my fingers.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2009, 21:44:33 »
Wow...I'm pretty much speechless.  I'm so sorry to hear that -Moo.  I sincerely hope it was just coincidence, but I'm kinda glad someone else had a similar experience so I know I'm not just going crazy. 

slandis3

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2009, 21:48:40 »
thats kinda weird because i won a small bucket of salt at the meeting. We used it with no problems. I still have some of the salt left over. I checked it out when all this went down and found nothing.I will go check again now

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2009, 22:14:37 »
Check the batch numbers with each other and see if they match.
Dayton,Ohio

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2009, 22:21:00 »
I couldn't find a single number on my bucket at all...go figure.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2009, 22:23:29 »
That is really strange.  I wonder if they track them internally with the bar code.  If so there must be a way normal people can get that info.  i have no idea how to do it but i'm sure there must be a way.  Maybe Red Sea can tell you if they ever decide to respond to you.  If they don't respond let me know.  I'll call them and get something working for you.  I am really curious and want to get to the bottom of this problem.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 22:25:33 by JSLeedy »
Dayton,Ohio

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2009, 22:47:22 »
OK this kind of explains a lot. I don’t want to jump on the small bucket band wagon, but about a month ago I bought a new small bucket of RSCP and within a few days I lost the majority of my nice, somewhat rare Zoa’s. I tested for everything and everything checked out fine. There was nothing new in the tank but the new batch of salt. Only my Zoa’s were affected though. All my other coral is LPS and they show no adverse affects from the salt.  I will definitely be getting some new salt soon just to be on the safe side.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2009, 22:54:04 »
Okay guys, this is really weird but I to have been having problems with my Zoa's. I am using the large bucket of RSCP though. They shrink up to almost nothing like they are rotting and the come detached and float away. Thought I was doing something wrong. This is really weird. Never in the last 5 years of keeping them have I ever lost even one Zoanthid. I bought my salt about two weeks ago which came in on a shipment about 4 weeks ago.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 22:56:57 by Lazylivin »

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2009, 23:02:44 »
If there are this many people having problems.  KEEP THE BUCKETS.  As a club we can get with Red Sea and have the batch numbers or SKU numbers.  Whatever they use to track them.  From there I am sure we can get them to make aminds.  At least replace the salt with an extra bucket or two.  If not I'm sure Aquavista would be willing to type up a letter and ask them to reconsider their decision.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2009, 23:07:12 »
You would think if the salt was a problem we would see posts on RC about it. Do you think it was just a batch. Can we all post where we got it from? I got mine from NDR. It was defintley factory sealed cause I had to cut off the red zip tie. The first 5 gallon bucket I got was hard as a rock. It actually swelled the container and there was no rips in the plastic bag. Stewart replaced it for me no questions asked.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2009, 23:14:42 »
The only way to truely know is to cross check the batch ID's.  It will be very hard to prove the problem being from Red Sea if all the salt is a different batch.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2009, 23:20:58 »
For Sale: Full 5 gallon bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro. 1/2 price 25$

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2009, 23:26:16 »
lol.  Followed by one dead fish tank half off. :laugh:
Dayton,Ohio

slandis3

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2009, 23:45:10 »
well i got all my big buckets at dodds during power buys ad my small buckets from joels during the January meeting.i checked my salt again and found nothing

Offline yinyang

• Adult
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2009, 00:40:34 »
hey!!
lazylivin
i will take that bucket salt
thanks!

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2009, 06:32:08 »
Whoa.  I'm really sorry you guys are having problems too.  I know of a few other people that are suspecting their salt, but haven't made a conclusion yet.  We'll see. 

Please keep your buckets...and document what happens.  Test all of your parameters...and if nothing is out of whack, try a new salt.  I tried a 10% change of a different saltwater mix, and immediately things didn't look AS stressed.  I don't know if last night was finally the point where things started taking a turn for the better, but I did a change with SeaChem and Reef Crystals...and polyps are really coming out now.

If the people on RC don't want to listen to me, fine.  I'm sure it'll come up eventually...especially if it is this widespread.  If you're having problems, I recommend posting up on my thread (which I'll give a link to soon) on RC so we can document this and get more attention.  This needs to be resolved. 

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2009, 07:36:41 »
You know RC, if youre not one of a few select members then you dont know poo!! (especially if youre from Ohio Reef! )

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2009, 07:45:51 »
Please post a link to the RC thread. I could not find it.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2009, 08:23:55 »
If you're having problems, please post on RC as well:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1574684

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2009, 18:19:47 »
Wanted to bring this thread back to life.  Just wondering how things have changed in the tanks that used the red sea and have changed to another salt.  Also which salt have you gone with?  I am at the bottem of my second bucket (large) and things are not doing good with my tank.  Several acros have browned out,  I have been getting tip bleaching on several others.  One my blue tort I have lost all polyp extension and the tips are turning white.  The only thing that tests alittle off would be my ca which is alittle over 500.  I dont think I will be opening my last bucket of rscp salt,  would like to try another brand.  I have always had the shinny flakes in the bottem of my water change barrel  since I tried the red sea.  Any updates would be great.
Thanks
Jeff

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2009, 20:35:15 »
For me it ended up not being a salt problem. I discovered shortly after reporting that I to was having issues that it was an outbreak of Zoa Pox. Cured it with Furan II.

Reefd Up

« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2009, 22:30:01 »
Uggggh...well, your timing was perfect.

SeaChem was doing great...tank was beautiful...colors were great...everything.

Woke up yesterday, tank was dead.  The couple of Acro's that still had some tissue didn't make it today.  Most LPS are ok, but even my softies were dying.  All chemicals tested fine...no clue.  My 10g tank is still fine.  The only thing I can guess is that maybe my rocks are leaching something?  I'm stumped...and I hate everything right now.

If anyone is interested, I'll probably post up the majority of stuff I had in my 10g (it's all healthy and awesome.)  Lots of Acans, Palys, Micros, etc.  I don't feel like dealing with any of this until after the wedding is over.  I'll start fresh then.