2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Sponge Dying  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Sponge Dying
« on: September 07, 2012, 09:30:17 »
So a piece of LR i picked up had a yellow sponge on it. Though I find some sponges cool and facisinating, I wasn't crazy about this one. Anywho I didn't expect the Sponge to last very long as it hit the air, and I figured it would form air pockets and starve, but this sponge held on alot longer than expected.  It is now starting to decay... Ironically it hasn't released any excess nutrients or toxins into my system that I can test, all the coral and fish seem just fine. Aside from looking cryptic and an eyesore(looks like a piece of decaying flesh or something). I am noticing that there is a substance that looks like sand inside it, but I dont have any sand in tank of that grade. I am wondering is this guy turning into sand or more yet(what i think it is), is this just sand from his previous location? I figure these guys can gather some sand, But i figured they would excrete it some way, this substance is about as large as him but it was inside him...

I will post some pics up here in just a second.

I think I may try the laser on what's left of him see What happens.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline jeremy

• Fry
Re: Sponge Dying
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 01:49:15 »
I picked up a piece of rock that has both white and yellow sponges on it almost a year ago.  They kind of look like someone took gum and smooshed it into the rocks.  Every once in a while they get nasty looking - shriveled, wrinkly, gritty and a bit darker in color. I haven't noticed any sand stuff but after a week or two they return to their normal look and have been growing as well. Maybe you should just give it a bit?