2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Nitrate still too high  (Read 2567 times)

Offline hummi22689

• Fry
Nitrate still too high
« on: December 17, 2011, 16:42:42 »
I tore down my tank.  Removed everything from the main tank and put it into a holding tank.  Cleaned 3/4 of the sand.  I did not do anything to the sump.  I refilled the tank with all new water.  Let it run overnight to clear up.  Decided to test the water just because I am that way.  Nitrates still high, at 60.  Went ahead and put rock back into the tank hoping that it will start cycling again.  I will continue to do water changes hoping the levels will do down.  What else (other than tear it all down again and replace the sand) can I do for the nitrate problem?  My poor fish (tang and a couple blue damsels) are living in an almost bare 55 gallon until I can get this resolved.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
Re: Nitrate still too high
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 17:05:15 »
When you say you cleaned the sand, what do you mean?

Do as large a water change as you can, and re-test / repeat.

60 is better than off the chart.  ;D

Offline The WuSue

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 17:27:33 »
+1

If you replaced all the water and you are still getting readings like that I wouldn't hesitate to get that sand out of there. Some folks think it's a good place to save money when they buy sand and get play ground sand or something of the sort. Those types of sand are full of silicates and will spike the phosphates and such.

Either way, you are headed down the right road.

Offline hummi22689

• Fry
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 17:30:35 »
sand was removed and rinsed.  It was nasty.  I didn't know the sand was supposed to be white.  I honestly thought it was tan, like playsand.  I also found that there was once snails and hermit crabs in the tank, evident by all the shells found in the sand.  Looks like I have many large water changes ahead of me.  I was glad to see the nitrates were at least registering now, but would have been happier if they were acceptable level.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 10:49:40 »
thats good just keep up on the water changes
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 11:14:54 »
I would suggest an algae scrubber but it wont cure it over night as the screen needs some time to develope, but might be something you would want to think about trying if you have the room for it. It can prevent future issues as well.

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 22:32:19 »
+1

If you replaced all the water and you are still getting readings like that I wouldn't hesitate to get that sand out of there. Some folks think it's a good place to save money when they buy sand and get play ground sand or something of the sort. Those types of sand are full of silicates and will spike the phosphates and such.

Either way, you are headed down the right road.

I used play sand in my main tank for 2 years with no problems, silicate will not spike nitrates.  And to those who think silicate is bad, ummm ya glass is made from it.  Only reason I changed it out was to add more flow without sandstorms, still keep it in the sump, lets see 5 -6 years. Still no problems......

I would start by checking your RO/DI water or whatever your using for mixing water.  When you rinsed your sand did you just rinse it once and stop or keep going until the water was clear?  What kind of water did you use?

Alage scrubbers are ok till they crash, seen too many of them do this to even take a risk....

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 23:50:28 »
Silicates in glass are bound into lattice-like crystals. That's what gives glass strength and transparency.

Free silicates can cause nasty diatom blooms (yellow snot-like strings).

Of course, not everyone will get these with play sand, but some will- and they're hard to get rid of, even after replacing the substrate.

Offline The WuSue

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 08:15:00 »
Silicates in glass are bound into lattice-like crystals. That's what gives glass strength and transparency.

Free silicates can cause nasty diatom blooms (yellow snot-like strings).

Of course, not everyone will get these with play sand, but some will- and they're hard to get rid of, even after replacing the substrate.

Thanks. I had a nasty self induced headache that day and couldn't remember it was diatoms.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 15:31:13 »
Alage scrubbers are ok till they crash, seen too many of them do this to even take a risk....

I keep hearing bad things about them. Glad I never wasted my time...

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 16:14:15 »
I keep hearing bad things about them. Glad I never wasted my time...

More say otherwise
 http://algaescrubber.net/forums/

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 16:30:08 »
More say otherwise
 http://algaescrubber.net/forums/

The problem with a topic specific site like that is it is mostly one sided. If you go to a Ruger web site everyone there is going to brag Ruger is the best and only way to go. In the past I have seen plenty of forums like reef central for example with people having issues with them. Not bashing it just saying research needs to be done with more than 1 resource.

On topic, your rock work may be releasing nitrates. If the tank had high levels before you got it they could have soaked into the rock the same way phosphates will. Not 100% sure if it works the same but it may. If that's the case I would just continue to do water changes and check the levels.

As far as the sand goes, I put about 600#'s of used sand in my tank and had 0 issues. All I did was rinse it until 95% of the water coming out was clear and all has been good since. I use 5g buckets and but 1/4-3/8 sand in the bottom then rinse it out.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 16:35:24 by slandis3 »

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 16:36:03 »
There are some simple rules to follow to have one be successful and there are all kinds of posts on there of those who have issues and why they are having them FAQs about all kinds of things and research. Look through the site and through RC, there are examples and research covering atleast 5 years. Its worth looking at and if you tried one that failed or know someone who has had one fail is to know why. I have setup 6 scrubbers including mine and not one failed.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 18:04:40 »
There are some simple rules to follow to have one be successful and there are all kinds of posts on there of those who have issues and why they are having them FAQs about all kinds of things and research. Look through the site and through RC, there are examples and research covering atleast 5 years. Its worth looking at and if you tried one that failed or know someone who has had one fail is to know why. I have setup 6 scrubbers including mine and not one failed.

:-Bravo

This isn't the place to debate personal preferences...
Moving on please

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 18:07:00 »
sand was removed and rinsed.  It was nasty.  I didn't know the sand was supposed to be white.  I honestly thought it was tan, like playsand.  I also found that there was once snails and hermit crabs in the tank, evident by all the shells found in the sand.  Looks like I have many large water changes ahead of me.  I was glad to see the nitrates were at least registering now, but would have been happier if they were acceptable level.

thats good just keep up on the water changes

Offline hummi22689

• Fry
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 17:09:11 »
UPDATE:
Todays nitrate test came back at 40  ;D.  The week before Christmas it was 80.  So whatever I am doing I must be doing it right.  I am having a diatom issue still but I guess as the nitrates imrpove maybe that will clear up too?

My next plan of action is to add more flow to the DT (only flow is from return) and redo my sump.  It sufices, but I prefer it to actually do what it is supposed to.  One of the ballasts on the bubble trap is broke, so I currently have a piece of plexiglass clamped in place so it will function until I can make it through my swamp of a back yard to the shed to find another tank to make a sump out of. 

I did try an algae scrubber in the beginning, but for some reason I kept getting micro bubbles.  Once I took it out, the microbubble cleared up.  I may try it again when I make a new sump, if I can get a larger sump built.  It is a tight fit under there.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 19:41:14 »
Awesome! Yup, keep it up and the nuisances will likely drop off.