2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: How long does your Chemi-Pure Elite typically last?  (Read 6574 times)

Offline volcano

How long does your Chemi-Pure Elite typically last?
« on: December 07, 2012, 14:42:59 »
For those of you that use it, how often does it typically last for you?

The directions say it lasts up to 4 - 6 months.  In my 150 gallon system, my last 4 units of Chemi-Pure Elite lasted 3 months and 3 weeks.  Pretty darn close to the 4 months I'd say.  It work great and makes my water crystal clear, but when it runs I immediately notice.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: How long does your Chemi-Pure Elite typically last?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 15:03:46 »
I change mine every 1.5-2 months... If I let it go much longer than that I notice I start to get bacteria imbalances(cyano and clear sludge). And Yes I agree when it turns "sour" it goes quickly for me aswell... and I love it... I was running BRS carbon on my 14 and was having al kinds of problems I switched to Chemi pure elite and haven't looked back it polished nicely and is nice and stable provided it is changed reguarly.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 15:51:19 by Boonjob »
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline volcano

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 15:40:35 »
You're right it polishes great!  Carbon got annoying for me for the same reasons.  I first switched to chemi-pure elite in my small red sea max systems.  Red sea says just carbon and bio max pellets.  However, the algae was crazy.  I upgraded skimmers and went to bio max, chemi -pure elite, purigan, and filter floss and now zero algae problems.  Chemi-pure elite worked so well, I put it in all my tanks.   In my large displays I use chemi-pure elite in my sumps.  I think I may just change it every 2 months to play it safe.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 15:50:42 »
Yep, same here I fought Hair algae on my nano non stop until I used Chemi Pure and Poly Filters, and they Cleaned my Algae right up... I run two poly filter pads,  one before the chemi pure and one after the chemi pure, all over flow water goes through the 2 pads and the chemi pure. I replace 1 pad every other week. So I take the Secondary filter pad move it to the pre filter and put a new one in the Secondary slot... Works like a champ. And then as stated above I switch the chemi pure out every 3-4 filter pad changes(about every 6-8 weeks)

Currently I am using "Poly_Filter" Pads, but I am aiming to try just generic bonded pads, and see if I get the same results... Would be nice, as the poly filters are significatly more expensive. I can but a sheet to last a year for what I pay in 2 months in poly filters.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline volcano

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 16:15:11 »
That is how I do the filter floss too.  They go through a similar rotation.