2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Few questions...  (Read 2279 times)

Offline HomeReef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Few questions...
« on: November 11, 2019, 18:13:23 »
75 gallon tank, 20 gallon sump mixed reef.

I picked up a doser last week.  I tested my water three days in row and the results were about the same or even a tad higher.  Does this mean I probably don't need to worry about dosing for now?  I am surprised because although I don't have a lot of grow out, I do have quite a bit of frags.  Tested the big three.    Calcium 472, Alk 8.7, Mag 1350. 

I'm aiming to get to 420 Calc, 10 Alk, and 1300 Mag... any suggestions on this?

Separate question,  my PH is testing about 7.8, I. Reading that reef tanks should be 8 - 8.4.  Would you all increase your PH, and how?  Just arm and hammer baking soda?  About how much should I add for 90g?  How often will O need to do this?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
Re: Few questions...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 18:34:06 »
I would monitor you big three every couple of days and keep a journal of the readings. Small frags really won’t put consume what a good water change routine will replenish. Unless your readings are decreasing there is no need to dose. I wouldn’t shoot for your alk at 10. Everyone’s ayatem is different but my tank is most happy at the mid 8 levels. Might want to suspect co2 issues causing the lower ph especially if your tank is in a lower part of the house. With the alk where you are at you should be higher then 7.8. Is that your low or high for a 24 hour period?
Jeff

Offline HomeReef

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 18:50:30 »
Thanks for the reply Jeff!  The tank is in the basement.  I didn't take more than o e reading g of the PH, I just tested the big 3 for 3 days in a row.  I dont usually test PH becaue mine was always good when I tested but perhaps since I moved the tank downstairs I will need to keep a better eye on it?  I will take your advice on the alk down about 8.5, thanks!

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 19:13:08 »
One easy way to check for co2 is to test your tank water and note the ph. Take the couple quarts of water and install an air stone into the water and bubble it out for a couple hours.  Test that water and see if the ph has increased.  What your doing is bubbling out the co2 which should raise the ph if it is present.  Co2 will settle to the lowest part of the house.  I have a fan in my basement to remove excess co2.  Reeferntraining does the same thing.  Another quick way to test is if you have a window close by, you can crack it open to vent in fresh air.  You can also possibly run your skimmer air intake line to the outside which might help out also.
Jeff

Offline HomeReef

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 19:18:00 »
Wow, that's amazing knowledge.  Scientist like:-)  I will try that and see what happens.   What do you do to fix it?  Do you use arm and hammer baking soda?  I will post how it goes.

Offline HomeReef

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 19:21:28 »
I know you said a fan but are you just talking about running a gang, that simple?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 23:06:33 »
Jesse (reeferntraining) has a small window fan in a window in his fish room.  I actually have a small radon style fan that picks up air from the floor and have it running out a window.  I raised my ph by .2 to .3 with the fan.  Your alk is good now, you dont want to add any baking soda.  If you experiment and think you have co2 issues there are several ways to deal with it.  One being the fan idea.  Another is to run a hose outside for your skimmer intake.  That can usually help some.  You can also use a co2 reactor chamber that runs your skimmer air through it to remove the co2 before it hits your skimmer.  That option can be expensive in the long run with having to buy the media.  A lot of people have ph readings of 7.8 with success but for best growth 8 and above is best.
Jeff

Offline HomeReef

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 09:16:30 »
Jeff, what salt mix do you use that has Alk around 8.5. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 10:50:27 by HomeReef »

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 09:57:06 »
Baking soda will lower your pH. If/when you dose, it’s better to use Soda Ash to make your dosing liquid. It raises pH. Kalkwasser is also an option. It also raises your pH and will also lower your phosphate.
Wow, that's amazing knowledge.  Scientist like:-)  I will try that and see what happens.   What do you do to fix it?  Do you use arm and hammer baking soda?  I will post how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Tavangel

• Fry
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 16:11:08 »
I thought brstv had some good videos raising ph. Here's a recent one :

Offline HomeReef

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 19:54:34 »