2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 12 gal acrylic cube build - need advice  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
12 gal acrylic cube build - need advice
« on: December 15, 2021, 21:44:05 »
I found an old project in the basement. I figured getting back into reefs, might as well start that project.

I need help with ideas from everyone. I originally was going to use a beans style overflow.  Not sure if I should still do that. I wanted to only have a tray that's covers where I have lines mapped out. I wanted that so that I would have a bit more room for rock but also my plumbing coming out of the back.

I that's a bad idea and I should just go out the bottom let me know. Then I need my return setup. Not sure of all the methods to get water motion and flow in tanks this small.

I'm open for everyone's thoughts, suggestions, and ideas.

Not sure on the return pump I'm going to use. Pretty sure I have a couple mag50's so I could use one.

Not sure if power heads are good in such a small tank. Never used one in my old nano cube.

Sump wise, I don't have anything at all on hand to use for a sump, so I will have to pick something up pre-built or get a tank and build one. Ideas there?

I will get some led light fixture for the tank.

Also, that top piece that is solid will become a solid brace for the top. Not sure if I can make that 1" or 2" all around.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
Re: 12 gal acrylic cube build - need advice
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 23:08:13 »
Wondering if I can go rimless with this... should be able to right? Then I would have a full sheet of 16x16 to build my overflow box.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Capt. James T. Kirk