2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: JSLeedy's 240 rebuild  (Read 11654 times)

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
  • 240 Gallon Tank with 125 refugium
Re: JSLeedy's 240 rebuild
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 23:23:33 »
Cleaning pics and the glass is nice and clean.  Just a few scratches to take care of now.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 23:25:50 »
Here is the glass I glued in the corner  so I can drill my holes.  Hopefully I can drill early next week.  If I can get off my but.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 17:11:11 »
Thats a keeper there, my wife complains if I ask her to feed the fish.  Hopefully the neighbors didn't see that you may get some rumors started.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 17:24:58 »
There rumors started with the really bright light that leak out of my blinds.  They all thought I was growning something (?).  A State Trooper moved in 2 houses down and finally he said "I know your not dumb enough to be growing somthing in there. What is it?"

If that's a keeper get me a Dodge Viper and you can keep her. :)

Seriously though I am one of the luckiest guys on here when it comes to my wife.  She really is patient with a retard like me.  I have no idea how she does it.  I would have killed me a long time ago if I was here. :laugh:
Dayton,Ohio

Offline Viggen

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 18:15:21 »
I just want to thank you for not posting a picture of yourself in a bikini

& yea, I do recognize her from v-ball

300g tub o fish

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009, 06:10:05 »
what did you clean the inside of the tank with? 

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 12:59:46 »
what did you clean the inside of the tank with? 

I used a sponge that had a scrubber on one side and water.  Mix that with some elbow grease and you have a clean tank.

After spending way to long talking to Andy (at least according to my wife)  :)  I'm going to try something different with my over flows.  I have to work out a few problems.  I will fill you all in once I have it all figured out.

Thanks a lot Bagger now I have more work to do. :)
Dayton,Ohio

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2009, 19:11:53 »
after reading this thread i am now bound and determined to have a fishtank large enough for my fiance to get inside. :)

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 01:28:51 »
I plan on adding a calfo overflow to my tank instead of a standard corner overflows.  I will be getting the glass cut on Monday and plan to start buildin the box the same day.  I'm glad I hadn't drilled the bottom yet.  Sometimes it pays off to be lazy.  Here is a link on RC that kinda shows it and talk about it.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=908555&highlight=calfo

Thanks for the idea Andy. 
Dayton,Ohio

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2009, 10:50:20 »
Is there a way to make the calfo more hidden? Can you paint the glass black?  I have been wanting to do this, but hate the sight of 3 elbows.  I had thought about integrating it into a foam rockwall.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2009, 11:24:19 »
Is there a way to make the calfo more hidden? Can you paint the glass black?  I have been wanting to do this, but hate the sight of 3 elbows.  I had thought about integrating it into a foam rockwall.

I didn't use elbows inside the tank, just had black bulkheads on black painted glass. But in all reality, once everything is covered in coraline, you hardly notice it's there.

You can see the OF in this pic.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2009, 15:41:44 »

You could always buy black pvc elbows if you are wanting to make a durso. Look at Savko.com if none of our local sponsors carry black pvc fittings.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2009, 15:45:15 »
for my durso I just painted it black

Offline verper

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2009, 19:24:36 »
You could also do an external overflow box.  There are many threads on RC about them.

slandis3

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2009, 19:29:48 »
just to let everyone know. i painted my plumbing inside my overflow with krylon fusion paint 2 years ago and never had a problem with it.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2009, 19:44:40 »
You could also do an external overflow box.  There are many threads on RC about them.

I had an external on my 24" cube and loved it. I just wanted to try something new when I did the 240. I'd say the surface skimming of the calfo can't be beat, but for looks the external is the best by far.  I'll see if I can find a pic of the 24".

Joe

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2009, 22:05:40 »
I'm not sure I understand how an external works on a glass tank.  I can see cutting a slit in an acrylic tank.  Would you just have 3 or 4 holes in the back of your tank?  Seems like that wouldn't give you the same surface skimming as an inside.  Please inlighten me.  I would rather do a external.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2009, 22:26:28 »
Joes first cube was a 24"x24" with a external overflow. He just drilled like 12 holes that were 1/2 I think across the back pane at the top. Then the calfo was on the outside and the bottom of the calfo was drilled for the bulkhead drains.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2009, 22:32:21 »
Did it look funny?  Did fish and things get sucked through?  Canyou go smaller and drill a ton of 1/4" holes?  I would like to have it on the back.  It would really suck if it fell of but I guess other peoples haven't so why should mine.  Other then thats my luck.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2009, 23:15:43 »
I ordered the glass for the Calfo today.  I had a big peice of 1/4" glass left over from a disasterous 100 gallon build I did about 3 years ago.   I am going to start a jig tonight.  Hopefully I can have the glass tomorrow if not, Wednesday for sure.  The more I read on it the better I like this idea.  If anyone out there has any reasons why this isn't a good idea I would really appreciate your thoughts.  I really would like to hear some cons so I can make as informed a decision as possible.  Once it's on and the tanks drilled there will be no turning back.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2009, 04:58:40 »
Did it look funny?  Did fish and things get sucked through?  Canyou go smaller and drill a ton of 1/4" holes?  I would like to have it on the back.  It would really suck if it fell of but I guess other peoples haven't so why should mine.  Other then thats my luck.

Yes he did have fish get through the holes. It did not look bad at all. In fact with the way your room will be setup it would look better and give you more room in the tank with an external. I think the external would be less surface skimming than a internal true calfo overflow. I would go internal true calfo.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2009, 21:18:03 »
After 5 hours in the dentist chair and 4 root canals I am feeling good enough to get back to my tank.  I went to pick the glass up today and was really unhappy with the 2 48" peices.  The cuts werent very straight.  Hopefully those will be recut and ready tomorrow.  I told them I didn't mind waiting for them to do it right.  I aslo have a euro brace around the top of my tank.  I am having the glass company cut a 3/8" notch out of the end peices.  It will allow me to place to calfo about 1/2" from the top of the tank as opposed to having it about 3" from the top.  If things go right I shouldbe able to post picks of the overflow Sunday or Monday.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2009, 23:02:04 »
After 5 hours in the dentist chair and 4 root canals I am feeling good enough to get back to my tank.  I went to pick the glass up today and was really unhappy with the 2 48" peices.  The cuts werent very straight.  Hopefully those will be recut and ready tomorrow.  I told them I didn't mind waiting for them to do it right.  I aslo have a euro brace around the top of my tank.  I am having the glass company cut a 3/8" notch out of the end peices.  It will allow me to place to calfo about 1/2" from the top of the tank as opposed to having it about 3" from the top.  If things go right I shouldbe able to post picks of the overflow Sunday or Monday.

Where'd you go? I got some small pieces cut at a place by fairfeild and dayton-xenia.  It was pretty jagged. If i had to attach it to anything i would have sent it back.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2009, 00:05:36 »
Where'd you go? I got some small pieces cut at a place by fairfeild and dayton-xenia.  It was pretty jagged. If i had to attach it to anything i would have sent it back.

Davids Reliable Glass.  I didn't take the peices that weren't right.  They weren't jagged but not as straight and smooth as I would like.  Once the water is flowing over it every hump in the length of glass will show.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2009, 19:43:09 »
Today I go my glass for the Calfo overflow.  It was exceptable so I took it home.  Here are some pics of the glass before I smear silicon all over it and make it look funny. :)  The other pic show how the notched peice is going to allow me to have the box sit nice and high in the tank.  I guess the glueing can start tonight.
Dayton,Ohio