2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: In need of some electrical help  (Read 3293 times)

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
In need of some electrical help
« on: August 21, 2011, 12:50:52 »
I am working on my new fish room.  I am at the point where I need some electrical work.  It will involve running a new feed line from the main to the room so that the room can be on its own.  Will need a new box installed and a bunch of outlets in a closet.  I will be around this weekend.  This will probably need to be done by a true electrician.  Let me know if anyone is available or knows who would be good to help me out.  Thanks.
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
Re: In need of some electrical help
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 20:13:57 »
anyone??
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 08:34:02 »
I will let Hunger answer for himself, as response to the other thread I think the next few weekends will be out as we are gearing up to do his tank move.  A few pics of what you want done, where the main panel is located, how far away is the room, what access do you have ( through the walls under the floor through an attic) we need more detail on what you want done to get a better idea of what we would be getting into.

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 14:46:04 »
I don't have any pictures yet.  I am just getting ready to move in, as the wife has been there for a year now.  The fish tank room is just getting finished.  I would like to run a new line from the main/fuse box to the fish room closet via the attic.  From there I would like to either put in a new fuse box for that room, and add in some outlets into the closet wall.  All will just be attached in the closet, not in the wall.  Should be fairly simple I think, I'm just not good with electric.  For someone that knows what they are doing I would think it would be a pretty quick job.  I just need to get it done before I slide the frag system into the closet and block most of the access, which is why I would like to get it done this weekend as I am ready to slide the system in and get the plumbing done.  Any help would be appreciated!!!!!  I would pay thru food/drinks/frags(once they get moved in). 

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 15:06:12 »
Sounds like you need wires fished through the walls, that can take a long time depending on how the house was built.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 15:33:00 »
well u would most likely have to up grade ur panel from fuses to brakers and run ne lines to where u want them and if and would def have to fish them trew the walls and there no amout of money or food to get me in a attic  im way to big   
if you bought every thing  i would have to get aleast 350 to 500 depending on what all needs to be done  but i will not have time to do anything untill i do my tank swap here in a week or 2
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 17:10:11 »
the breaker box is in the garage, the new wires can go straight up thru the ceiling.  they can run on top of the insulation, then come down thru the ceiling in the closet, not inside the wall.  Would be no wire fishing, all very basic stuff.  I can be in the attic no problem.  It is just the last thing that is really holding me up from getting my 300 gallon system running.

Also- I will buy all the stuff needed.  I can pretty much do the work, just need someone to oversee it so it is done correctly.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 17:45:54 »
i could help but i wont have a week or weekend free till october
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 18:08:56 »
I really need to get this done asap.  Anyone out there with experience.  Like I said, I really just need someone to tell me what I need and how to do it.

Like I said, I'm new to the area so I don't really know what is around.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 18:19:44 by Blazinreef »

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 18:28:36 »
OK another round of questions, do you want to run a single 110 line to your fish area or do you want to install a small sub panel and run 2 110 lines? Do you know what your main panel is rated at, 100a or 200a?  Do you have a rough ideal of how far a run it will be? I may have some free time this weekend but I am not sure as of right now.

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 21:14:24 »
I'm not sure which.  I think a subpanel would probably be best, but if running a seperate line works I would be fine with that.  I'm not sure how much one breaker can hold.  I don't know what the main panel is rated at.  It would be running about 50 feet accross the attic to get to that wall.

I want to make it as simple as possible but ensure I have more than enough electric to run everything.  I would probably want to put in about 6 outlets in the closet, then I can run the power strips and apex strips off of them.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 21:30:14 »
what kind of equipment will u be running pumps light power heads??
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 21:46:17 »
3 ai sol (eventually 6)
8 sets of 36" t5s so 16 bulbs
4 vortech
3 koralia
panworld 70 return pump
mag 12
uv sterilizer
sro 3000 ext skimmer
neptune apex
ato
mixing pump
ro pump
calcium reactor

I may be forgetting a few things in there, and I would like to have room for expansion.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 21:53:48 »
will def need a 20 amp breaker  and with that long of run with what u will have on it will def have to us 12/2 if not 10/2  wire do u have a spare spot in ur breaker box for a new breaker
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 22:00:54 »
There should be a few extra spots for breakers.  I'm not there now but I'm almost positive its not full.  Like I said, I can buy everything ahead of time if I know what I need. 

Are you thinking it would be best just to put everything on one breaker then?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 22:03:45 »
ya i would
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 22:09:02 »
As long as it leaves some room for expansion in the future if I need it.  So would you just make it a large breaker so that it wouldn't trip?  I know with my existing stuff it has to be broken up onto two breakers because 1 wouldnt hold it all

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 22:17:41 »
was ur existing stuff the only thing on a breaker i have half a kitchen and all my tank on one 20 amp breaker  but its up to you if u have room in the panel to put 2 new breakers that will work
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 22:23:08 »
It does have some extra stuff on the breaker yes.  Is a 20 amp the normal size breaker or are there bigger ones than that?  I just want to make sure I've got enough juice for everything.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 22:56:04 »
15 and 20 are the normal
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 23:04:19 »
well if you think 20 would be more than enough then I would be fine with that.  Like I said, I know nothing about electric.

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 04:53:49 »
I would run 2 20a breakers. You will need to get 12-2 wire 20a breakers and 20a outlets to start. You also need to measure the wire run to know the exact amount of wire you need then add 5' to that so if its 50' from the garage to the closet then you need to take 50' add the distance from the breaker box to the ceiling and add the distance from the ceiling to the area on the wall you want your out lets mounted. then once you get that number add 5' for the " just in case factor"

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 14:39:47 »
I will can get all that no problem.  Is there a chance that someone will be able to help out then?  I'm assuming this is a pretty quick and easy job?

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 14:52:09 »
Might I add that since you are in the process of wiring up everything, that you purchase a 20a GFCI outlet... you can wire the following normal outlets on the circuit to the GFCI, so you will only need one per breaker. Might be a good idea considering this is all for a tank.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 15:14:24 »
I may Saturday just depends, I should know by Friday. I know Sunday is out for me.

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 15:22:30 »
I will be getting in town friday afternoon/evening.  Sat morning I have a fire test, but as of now am free the rest of saturday, sunday and monday.

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 15:34:52 »
Have you checked on the make of your breaker box? Some older boxes are near impossible to get breakers for.

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 15:43:08 »
the house is only about 20 years old.  I will call the wife and see what it says.

this is the info she gave me
siemens
cat # G1224MB1100
180A max
120/240v
1 phase 3 wire
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 16:15:37 by Blazinreef »

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 16:37:22 »
Being a siemens Lowes should have breakers in stock.

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2011, 16:44:25 »
my wife texted me a picture of it.  if you pm me your number I can send it to you.