2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Pond build questions  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Viggen

Pond build questions
« on: March 17, 2009, 11:14:33 »
Well, it looks like I am going to redo my ponds in my backyard & I am not 100% sure what to do.  Anyone have any suggested websites to read up on what I should/shouldn't do?

I know Joel has lots of experience here..... any thoughts on what I should do with filtration?

Presently I have 2 ponds & a 30-40ft stream connecting them with no other filtration.  We are tearing up my backyard to put pavers down instead of the old wood deck & I figure since the backhoe & all that crap are going to be there...... I might as well make the ponds bigger!!!  My thought was to keep the top pond the way it is, about 12ft x 15 ft & put all the fish from the lower pond in there (minus the bluegill).  With the lower pond, my thought was to have the upper pond have a waterfall (it does now, just goes into a stream) that would go directly into a 20ft x 10ft & 3-4ft + deep pond with a 3-5ft long, 2-3ft wide (so it can go under my bridge) & 2 ft deep stream connecting to another pond which would be 10 x 30 ft (all kinda rough estimates).  The top pond I will keep the same size just replace the liner & possibly make it deeper.... it's 2 +ft deep now. 

I am not sure on what I should do for filtration & also what type of flow is needed to make koi happy.  I see there are sand filters similar to what is used in pools, are those a good idea?  Or should I just use lavarock & other stuff like that to work as a filter.  I figured I should probably do a bottom drain on each of the lower ponds & possibly one on the top pond.  I was told .5 turnover a hr, is that correct though the filter?  I was planning to add a skimmer to the lower pond......

I want to keep power consumption at a minimum (also setting up a 475g FO tank inside) so I hope to use effecient pumps ...... not power hungry external pool pumps.  I wasn't sure how a simple bubble plate would work in the 2 lower pond area to help with flow/circulation ........

any help/info would be greatly appreciated!!!!    I would say the majority of the ponds will get direct sunlight during the day & also..... there will be 3-4 dogs that will probably take daily baths in there......

thanks for any input!!! 
300g tub o fish

Bigmoo

Re: Pond build questions
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 12:27:12 »
Just tie nets on your dogs' tails, presto, problem solved :laugh:

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 12:51:01 »
Whats up Viggen, sounds like you have big plans for your backyard. I would suggest making the top pond a bog/natural filter. A bog pond is simply a shallow marshy area that grows water loving plants. The plants will naturally filter your water for you. Lots of information can be found on the net (sorry I don't have a link). I would then make a spillway leaving the bog pond following your existing stream to the lower ponds. Turnover should be at least .5 per hour, but I would prefer a 1 to 1 ratio especially with the spillway/stream in the setup to get the proper flow effect. I would also definitly add a skimmer to each of the lower ponds that house the pumps used to pump back to the upper bog pond. Pond skimmers are a must have for a clean pond, as well as ease of upkeep. Hope this helps, let me know what you think.

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 12:58:39 »
My inlaws have a skimmer and ecotub that seemed to do good for them.  They are currently selling all the pond equipment and fish.  I could probably get you a good deal.  There is a thread on here about what they have.  I know nothing aboiut them, but you can get alot of slaterock and Koi if you need it from them. 

Offline Viggen

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 16:46:12 »
the bog idea sounds cool..... I thought about possibly doing something like that just not sure how to do it. 

jjw.... any idea what model their skimmer/ecotub/etc is?  I am definantly interested!! 

Also all the fish & possibly the slate I am also interested in as well .... but unfortunantly it's going to be a slow process, hope to have it finished by June sometime

300g tub o fish

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 17:31:23 »
PM sent

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 20:33:52 »
Hey Viggen dont know much about pond filtration but would love to see some pics of what you have now....or even a build thread  ;D

Offline Viggen

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 23:20:21 »
yea.... a pond build thread (also a FO tank build thread) will definantly follow when the builds start :)

My new tank (thanks Joel) is sitting in my garage & the stand (thanks JoeAyers) needs to get powdercoated & I am also in the process of adding a few braces to it.  Hopefully in 3 weeks or so that build will start.... hopefully

Pond build will start around a month or so from now.... just have to figure out the best way to do it

I have pics somewhere of my backyard.... I will try to find them & post a few

300g tub o fish

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 08:31:38 »
Viggen - my inlaws already sold the pond equipment

Offline Viggen

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 11:27:17 »
no worries... appreciate the update!!
300g tub o fish

slandis3

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 12:01:44 »
heres the skimmer
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 20:20:53 by slandis3 »

Offline Viggen

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 12:57:48 »
SWEET.... I am sure I can figure out a way to use it

If you are comiing to the club meeting, can you just bring it with you?

300g tub o fish