2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Return pump too strong  (Read 3492 times)

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
Return pump too strong
« on: October 17, 2009, 19:44:36 »
Ok I finally got my frag tank plummed, and some water is running in it. ;D

Here's the problem: I have a mag 7 (that I got as a steal) returning my water from the sump to the frag tank.

It's going great but the water is filling to the top of the whole that's drilled on the back (and I'm worried it may overflow (literally).

1.     Should I tee the return tube and send some of it to the sump so there is less flow back up to the frag tank.
2.      Should I put a ball valve (I think that's what it's called) on the return so I can slow down the return?
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
Re: Return pump too strong
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 19:58:54 »
I had this very same problem. If you put a ballvalve on the INTAKE of the pump, it will slow its flow and lower the current it draws. You might water to consider a more energy efficient pump all together however, depending on the turnover you want in the tank.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 19:59:14 »
i would go with ball valve
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 20:54:47 »
I had this very same problem. If you put a ballvalve on the INTAKE of the pump, it will slow its flow and lower the current it draws. You might water to consider a more energy efficient pump all together however, depending on the turnover you want in the tank.

So what happens if you put it on the outlet of the pump?

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 20:55:45 »
Increases wear on the pump and (I think) up the current draw.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

slandis3

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 21:28:23 »
If you put a pump on the intake side it will cause the pump to cavitate (sp?). If you put it on the outlet side ( return to tank side ) it will draw less watts and extend the life of the pump.

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 21:43:04 »
Will lowering the intake cause stress on the motor?
I agree a more energy efficient would have been better but I got a great deal on it.
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 21:44:17 »
If you put a pump on the intake side it will cause the pump to cavitate (sp?). If you put it on the outlet side ( return to tank side ) it will draw less watts and extend the life of the pump.
I like the idea of putting it on the return (output) part of the pump, but that won't put any stress on the pump?
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 21:50:03 »
You don't want to restrict the input to the pump, if you restrict it too much the pump will start to cavitate.  This is typically very hard on pumps.

If you want to restrict it, do it on the output side.  I typically divert my pumps to multiple locations rather than choking the flow.  Use the pump to power a Carbon Filter or somthing else.

I do not understand the comment that restricting the flow of a pump on the output side will save energy or make the pump last longer.  Restricting the output side will push the pump to it's maximum head pressure and make it work harder.  Do you have some data to show otherwise?

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
  • 240 Gallon Tank with 125 refugium
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 21:50:23 »
Slandis is exactly right.  Don't restrict the flow into the pump.  Only on the out put.  Your pump will be fine.  Unless it's like Nikki's. :)
Dayton,Ohio

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 21:52:44 »
im with slandis thats how mine is
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 21:53:32 »
My God, I am very sorry...

I've had that backwards in my head forever, and to make it worse, I was in the last discussion about this!  Can someone remove my earlier post? I'd rather not have false info floating around. Yikes...

In light of my stupid, I agree with wall-tank, I think it is a better idea to divert flow than restrict a pump. I'm going to go hide now  :(
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 22:03:07 by jd »
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 22:23:51 »
You don't want to restrict the input to the pump, if you restrict it too much the pump will start to cavitate.  This is typically very hard on pumps.

If you want to restrict it, do it on the output side.  I typically divert my pumps to multiple locations rather than choking the flow.  Use the pump to power a Carbon Filter or somthing else.

I do not understand the comment that restricting the flow of a pump on the output side will save energy or make the pump last longer.  Restricting the output side will push the pump to it's maximum head pressure and make it work harder.  Do you have some data to show otherwise?

it has something to do with slipping, like torque angle for generators. I have read several RC articles with pics of wattmeter to prove. Don't have the links in front of me. But +1 on the ball vavle to restrict the output, unless you have other equipment to run (gfo reactors, ect)
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 22:42:13 »
it has something to do with slipping, like torque angle for generators. I have read several RC articles with pics of wattmeter to prove. Don't have the links in front of me. But +1 on the ball vavle to restrict the output, unless you have other equipment to run (gfo reactors, ect)

Hmmm,  pass on the links if you can find them.... I think I'm going to have to play with this one myself.

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 23:16:48 »
i have both... my return line goes up ant there is a T with a ball valve so i open it and water is recirculated in the return area ( great for mixing any additives or food)

after having lived and learned i would say the T isnt necessary but above all things........ dont buy a regular ball valve. buy a gate valve!  this is very important and worth every extra penny. the amount of control you get with gate valve is priceless. ive tried to adjust the ball valve and moved it too far then i try to fix it and end up over compensating and wishing i hadnt even touched it to begin with.

trust me
spend the extra few bucks for the gate valve and it will make tuning it so much easier

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 21:00:37 »
Well, after listening to all the comments I feel more comfortable in doing the T.  This way I will be taking full advantage of the pumps power, and I will set for the possiblity of sometime down the road putting it into a carbon filter.
I need to get some more plumbing supplies and then more test runs.
Thanks and God Bless,
John