2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Unexplained Coral Issues  (Read 4060 times)

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Unexplained Coral Issues
« on: December 14, 2015, 10:36:12 »
Hopefully explained!

So a few of you know that I've had problems with my SPS for some time now, never could put my finger on what is going on.  After the meeting yesterday, listening to stories, I decided to take another good look around the aquarium.   In the overflow of my frag tank, I saw something with a slight hint of orange on it.  So I pulled it out.   It made my finger turn black when I crumbled it in my fingers.   This morning I used a little muriatic acid to clean up what I pulled out.  Very little of the material dissolved.....but here is what I found.

Note that if this was calcium based deposits, it would have mostly disappeared, and the residue would not have been yellow.

Offline Gary

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Unexplained Coral Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 12:48:29 »
The piece at the bottom looks like threads of a screw. Maybe steel, the yellow might be iron oxide?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 13:03:40 »
I agree Gary, probably a stainless steel bolt that has been degrading in the saltwater.... Not sure where it came from

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 13:07:52 »
Makes me want to tear down my sump and look. It will be interesting to see your Triton Results.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 13:14:38 »
But how did it get into the over flow?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 13:20:45 »
My frag tank is not covered

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 13:38:19 »
Merlin3 has had a small radio controller helicopter in his main tank! It was quickly removed because helicopters do try to mix with the salt water but it is harmful for them too.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 14:18:27 »
Makes me want to tear down my sump and look. It will be interesting to see your Triton Results.

I think I'll take a water sample today, and then do a big water change.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 15:14:53 »
Paul and I were having some of the same issues. After doing some digging, I read an article about someone with the same issues. He found a fish hook in his sand bed. Then a light went on, feeling kinda embarrassed here, I had been using a penn plax algae scraper with razor blades. I would use it from time to time, but had been leaving it in the tank some. Which could explain why things would get better then worse again. I pulled it for good about a month ago and my SPS have definitely started looking better. I will keep up with this post also. Paul, I surely hope we have found the issues. I know we both had become very frustrated.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 20:59:48 »
Sorry to report that I am having another bout of STN and have completely lost one more acro. I haven't did a water change since the last post, waiting to see what my Triton results are. It is really strange how whatever this is, just comes and goes. Seems like it effects different corals each time and some it doesn't seem to effect at all.  After seeing Reefkeeping Magazine's TOTM I am seriously pondering going with a no or very limited SPS tank.  I love growing SPS, but this experience has really tested me.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 22:16:14 »
Just continuing with this thread. Woes continue. One day things seem to be getting better, the next day I lose more corals. All SPS seem effected, everything else seems fine. Anemone split, LPS growing, though I did lose my green blasto in my avatar. Acans, zoas, favias lobo goni trumpets and such all growing and looking healthy. Looking at some additive options. Kinda at a loss.

Offline Fishfreak

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 07:49:00 »
I lost all my SPS to stray electricity. Added a grounding probe and everything seem better. Just a thought.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 14:26:00 »
J though I did lose my green blasto in my avatar.

Wow, so sorry to hear that Steve :(

I lost all my SPS to stray electricity. Added a grounding probe and everything seem better. Just a thought.

Indeed. It wouldn't hurt to check.

Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 21:54:23 »

Any thoughts anyone, and does anybody have a meter and know how or be willing to help me check?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 22:07:20 »
I always run titanium ground probes.  In my book it's a must for safety..... my safety more so than the inhabitants.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 22:10:52 »
If no one is available in the next couple days I will happily come over and check that out for you

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 22:42:22 »
If no one is available in the next couple days I will happily come over and check that out for you

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I accept your offer.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 18:14:56 »
I accept your offer.

I'm tied up this weekend, but they untie me this coming week so I will PM you to set up a time :)

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 21:03:41 »
I'm tied up this weekend, but they untie me this coming week so I will PM you to set up a time :)

Thank You Sir.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 18:07:58 »
Paul, any updates from You? I am still going through the same up and down, mostly down issues with my SPS. I am looking at doing an almost complete water change to see if that helps. I am continuing to lose corals and the rest of my SPS look pretty sick. Everything else seems to be doing good.

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 19:06:27 »
Not being and expert on corals Steve i was reading about water changes personally i don't think that will help you you will be depleting the minerals you have built up in the tank ----once again i am no expert Good Luck my friend!!!

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 21:58:41 »

Steve,

I'am no expert on SPS myself and yes they are rewarding and frustrating all at the same time. I had a very similar issue awhile back where my Pocillapora were being attacked by something, turning white and it would come and go. My Nitrates were on the high side so I did some heavy dilutions with the water and I used a product called "RTN Destroyer" by Reef Grow. Not sure if we are talking like issues, like I said I'am no expert. Have a look at Reef Grow website and this product is sold at Aquarium Artisans as well. The above post is interesting, in that same timeframe I did get zapped by a broken glass heater in my sump, hummm. Like I said I had a few things going on, not really sure what the fix was but it has been gone for awhile now.

Good Luck,

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2016, 12:51:44 »
Paul, any updates from You? I am still going through the same up and down, mostly down issues with my SPS. I am looking at doing an almost complete water change to see if that helps. I am continuing to lose corals and the rest of my SPS look pretty sick. Everything else seems to be doing good.

Things have been pretty stable lately, but I personally have been in a mode where I've not been taking care of the tank.   Probably because I have a ton of dead coral skeleton's from before.....bummed out every time I look at it.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2016, 13:36:38 »
Things have been pretty stable lately, but I personally have been in a mode where I've not been taking care of the tank.   Probably because I have a ton of dead coral skeleton's from before.....bummed out every time I look at it.

I know the feeling.