2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: High salinity  (Read 2100 times)

Offline mbettman

• Adult
High salinity
« on: July 20, 2017, 17:21:28 »
So I finally got my rodi installed.finally bought a hydrometer.check my nano and found salinity over 1.28.I know this is too high.i checked the box of ocean pacific water which is all I have used since starting the aquarium 2 months ago.that water is also reading over 1.28. Why do they sell water with that high of salinity.Did a water change and added straight rodi.it came down to 1.27.Any suggestions?

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: High salinity
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 20:57:35 »
The first suggestion I would throw out is don't trust a hydrometer. Get a refractometer with calibration fluid. That is a far more accurate instrument...

Offline Viggen

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 21:36:15 »
My refractometer and hydrometer measure the exact same.......  :)

I do agree though that either can be off, thus calibration fluid for the refractometer.  To me the important thing is consistency, whatever you use keep using it and not multiple different devices.  You can also possibly borrow a refractometer from someone to compare it to what you have and adjust accordingly.  I have a refractometer you are welcome to try out if you want

You can do drastic quick drops in salinity w/o hurting or stressing the fish.  Increasing t is where troubles occur
300g tub o fish

Offline mbettman

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 22:52:35 »
The hydrometer is brand new so for now I know it's accurate and I did water change this afternoon.checked tonight and still high.doing another bigger change now.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 11:23:09 »
Another way to lower salinity is to remove some tank water and replace it back with RO/DI water. But if you need a water change that isn't a bad way to do it as well.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 12:27:00 »
My hydrometer is probably at least 10 yrs old :)

As Lazy stated when doing a water change add straight RO/DI to drop the salinity faster
300g tub o fish

Offline mbettman

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 18:22:34 »
So I killed my shrimp and emerald crab. Probably changed salinity too fast and too much.corals not coming out.another bump in the road.😒

Offline mbettman

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 23:14:41 »
Seems like corals died.lot of hair algae.discovered my water filter not set up correctly so water changes were being done with high tds water. I am an idiot. Where should I go from here.major water change or a lot of smaller ones.
By the way all my fish still alive.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 12:45:28 »
A large change would be best, but you need to take more care in matching parameters.  Temp, ph, Salinity, Alk