2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: RIP Kleins  (Read 3276 times)

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
RIP Kleins
« on: June 15, 2011, 20:28:13 »
Experienced my first fatality today...  :'( ... I don't understand it, he has been eating like a pig ever since I got him, he cleaned my whole tank of Aiptasia. He was just fine last night and this morning when I went to work, and he was dead when I came home...?!?!?! the rest of the fish and inhabitants are just fine :(
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: RIP Kleins
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 20:30:36 »
Ahhh man that stinks!  I'm so sorry...  :'(   Did you notice anything on his body/skin when you took him out?  Any parasites, fluke etc.?

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 20:32:37 »
nope he looked just fine... I have been inspecting him daily for any spots or weird behaviors... he portrayed none.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 20:33:32 »
I would suspect it was my water, but since switching to the bigger tank my numbers are next to 0.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 20:34:13 »
What other fish do you have?

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 20:35:58 »
Tomini Tang, Shrimp Goby, Neon Dotty Back, sixline Wrasse

The tang ws picking on him at first, but after the tank move they were just fine

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 20:38:03 »
Hmmm, nothing too big there...  If it was your water I think it would have some effect on some of the other fish as well.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 20:42:40 »
yeah... I dunno, it was so sudden too, i mean he was just fine this morning when I fed him at like 8.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 20:43:10 »
crap like that can just happen man. They can get spooked, a fight could have broke out at night, who knows if its not your water. He could have ate something and it got lodged in side, possibilities are endless. I was reading about fish dieing from eating krill because of the shell on them..... Never thought about that happening, but it does.

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 22:33:11 »
If there is a positive side it does open the door for that clam you have been wanting, sorry for your loss.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 22:36:41 »
If there is a positive side it does open the door for that clam you have been wanting, sorry for your loss.

A good point... Make lemonaid out of lemons!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 00:13:25 »
That is a bummer boon. It just happens sometimes. Sorry you lost him.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 11:29:50 »
That sucks... Sorry to hear it :(
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 14:11:54 »
So sorry to hear this.  Hate it when a fish just up and dies for no apparent reason. 

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 14:32:15 »
Well he did his job before he paseed... not a single aiptasia left in my tank after battling masses of them for the last 4 months or so... and I was on the verge of giving him away so I can get my clam. I'm just glad my daughter didn't see him first lol she doesn't handle those things well right now.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 16:30:51 »
Was he eating anything other than aptasia? 

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 16:35:57 »
Was he eating anything other than aptasia?

as far as corals? No.

As for food? Yes he ate flake like a pig as well as frozen food

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 16:37:03 »
Ok, thought maybe he was only eating aptasia and was hungry.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 16:40:18 »
Ok, thought maybe he was only eating aptasia and was hungry.

no mam, he was feed at least once a day plus the occasional nibble on the aiptasia... would he really "starve" that quickly though if someone wasn't to feed him? I mean I know everyone says fish need daily feedings, and I could be wrong but I didn't think malnutrition would set in that quickly... I thought starve days were somewhat good for the tank?  I know I personally could benefit from a few of them myself... ROFL.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 17:04:18 »
no mam, he was feed at least once a day plus the occasional nibble on the aiptasia... would he really "starve" that quickly though if someone wasn't to feed him? I mean I know everyone says fish need daily feedings, and I could be wrong but I didn't think malnutrition would set in that quickly... I thought starve days were somewhat good for the tank?  I know I personally could benefit from a few of them myself... ROFL.

I don't think it would be that fast.  Personally I wouldn't know as I'm not into starving myself!  :D

FancyDirty

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 21:22:18 »
sorry for your lose

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 08:16:46 »
Cody, when you had your Kleins, did it bother any of your leather corals?  I have some aptasia and wanted to get a kleins, but also have leathers... 

Per Live Aquaria...overview
The Orange Butterflyfish, also known as the Sunburst, Brown, Klein's, Corallicola, or Blacklip Butterflyfish, is primarily golden-yellow. It may have either a black or a black and blue eye band.
It may be kept in a 50 gallon or larger aquarium with other butterflyfish, including members of its own species, if they were introduced to the tank at the same time. The Orange Butterflyfish may be kept in a reef aquarium, but will eat leather corals and some of the soft corals. It is an excellent fish for beginners.

The diet should consist of meaty items such as fish, crustaceans, mysis shrimp, and frozen marine preparations. It needs to be fed at least three times daily.

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 08:31:45 »
Micki try and get a good copperban from rich at coral ranch. He got me one that took out all my aptasia and eats mysis.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 08:36:42 »
Mike, I thought about that but... 

Per Liveaquaria...The Copperband Butterflyfish, Caution should be exercised if housing these fish in a reef aquarium. They may pick on invertebrates, especially anemones and feather dusters. They are an excellent fish when used to control aiptasia, or glass anemones, in the reef aquarium.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 08:37:30 »
Cody, when you had your Kleins, did it bother any of your leather corals?  I have some aptasia and wanted to get a kleins, but also have leathers... 

Per Live Aquaria...overview
The Orange Butterflyfish, also known as the Sunburst, Brown, Klein's, Corallicola, or Blacklip Butterflyfish, is primarily golden-yellow. It may have either a black or a black and blue eye band.
It may be kept in a 50 gallon or larger aquarium with other butterflyfish, including members of its own species, if they were introduced to the tank at the same time. The Orange Butterflyfish may be kept in a reef aquarium, but will eat leather corals and some of the soft corals. It is an excellent fish for beginners.

The diet should consist of meaty items such as fish, crustaceans, mysis shrimp, and frozen marine preparations. It needs to be fed at least three times daily.

Mine never touched my leather(that I saw on either the coral or during the act)... it did however nip at my xenia(but only the tips, never enough to cause any real harm and the xenia didn't even seem bothered.) it did great at getting the aiptasia gone, but I gotta get another one, as I have a few popping back up, I talked to rich and he said he should have some early next week.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 08:41:47 »
Mike, I thought about that but... 

Per Liveaquaria...The Copperband Butterflyfish, Caution should be exercised if housing these fish in a reef aquarium. They may pick on invertebrates, especially anemones and feather dusters. They are an excellent fish when used to control aiptasia, or glass anemones, in the reef aquarium.

I never noticed my kleins eating any of my invertebrates, but I would say the same applies to a klien's, and I wouldn't trust my feather dusters around one(I put my larger ones in my fuge). But I will say there were a few small ones that I did not move and they are still there.

The only reason I like the kleins over the CBB is they are for the most part hardier, not a "specialized feeder", and cost waaay less. The CBB though looks much better, and because of their mouths I would logically think they would be able to better pick at the aiptasia, as they can get into crannies better than the kleins(but mine did just fine)

***Also, when they say it needs to be fed atleast 3 times a day; they aren't kidding. Mine ate non stop, he grazed all day and pigged out when it came to meal time, he ate double the flake/food that my tang eats!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 08:48:02 by Boonjob »

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 08:44:18 »
I may check into that.  I would like one for each tank. the 150, has a lot of leather and soft coral.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 08:53:10 »
I may check into that.  I would like one for each tank. the 150, has a lot of leather and soft coral.

I would think you should be fine, but I would assume it's just gonna be trial an error. I talked to rich about them and he said he has never noticed any eating his softies or other corals(aside from xenia) and he did state it was never enough to cause any real damage. I observed the exact same.

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 08:53:44 »
Yea My CB wiped out all of my feather dusters but I would rather have that than a tank full of aptasia.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 09:09:03 »
Maybe I should get one of each!  The 150 has no anemone or feather duster but lots of leather and softies.  The 125 has an anemone.  LOL

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2011, 12:34:15 »
If I remeber correctly, I think copperbands espeically can have lifelong issues as side effects from collection practices.  Places use cyanide to stun the fish so they can collect it.  there was a writeup somewhere about how this cyanide can be stored in fat (or other organs?) and somehow released into the bloodstream later causing death.... I dont think i made that up??? :)
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2011, 12:36:52 »
Ya know, now that you say that, I think I remember something about that too!  Hmmmmm

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2011, 13:39:36 »
If I remeber correctly, I think copperbands espeically can have lifelong issues as side effects from collection practices.  Places use cyanide to stun the fish so they can collect it.  there was a writeup somewhere about how this cyanide can be stored in fat (or other organs?) and somehow released into the bloodstream later causing death.... I dont think i made that up??? :)

No you are correct, anything from the fiji area especially can have cyanide posioning, as they aren't very strict on their rules for gathering the fish in this method, and even if your fish wasn't target harvested with cyanide it is still being pumped into the local waters by many of their factories. CBB come from Fiji as well as Australia. The Fiji CBB aren't expected to be as hardy for this reason. A fish that is harvested with cyanide can show no ill signs for a few weeks and then suddenly parish due to internal organ failure(usually the liver). I suspected it of my klein's but I chucked it out as it was a Hawiann harvested fish, however looking back I am still a little skeptical as alot of their fish were super cheap(though I'd like to think someone isn't harvesting in this manner on US shores)

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2011, 20:31:42 »
Look into methylene blue, I have heard it helps them export the cyanide. Search methylene blue on wetwebmedia