2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 2 new clownfish, 1 not eating  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Shep

• Juvenile
2 new clownfish, 1 not eating
« on: June 06, 2012, 12:04:51 »
I got 2 ocellaris clowns last Friday (1 orange, 1 black), took them home and put them in the tank...by Sunday the little orange one began eating, but the black still is not...they act and look fine, swimming all over the place and they both charge at the food, but all the black one does is take it in then spit it out...the water tests fine, I have tried frozen brine and small pellets...it didn't surprise me for the first couple days but I am beginning to get worried now...any thoughts/ideas...???...

thanks,
shep

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: 2 new clownfish, 1 not eating
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 12:13:51 »
I am surprised it doesn't eat the brine shrimp but not surprised on the pellets. Trying something such as Mysis or something else meaty. Was the clown a wild and fresh arrival?

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 12:19:08 »
Try Mysis(as brian sugested), Clam, ralgae sheet or edible macro algae...

He have any labored or excessive breathing?

They can go 2-3 weeks with little to no food, Stress from acclimation and travel can make em do this.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 12:34:57 »
Cyclop-eeze is good too.   Preferably the frozen variety.   Gerbers normally carries this.

If these are different colors, they probably are from completely different sources......hard to say what the little guy is used to.

Offline Shep

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 13:27:00 »
thanx everybody...

bought them at Jacks (Smithville), they had new bags hanging in the tanks, so they were not new arrivals...I tried the pellets because I went back there on Monday and asked what they feed them, the dude told me that he feeds them pellets every morning, shrimp and blood worms in the afternoon, then flakes in the evening before he leaves...

I work in Centerville, but live out by Lewisburg...I'll stop at Gerbers on my way home and see what they have...

Offline Shep

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 13:32:48 »
oh, and no, no excessive or labored breathing...

Offline Bluewater

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 13:36:51 »
You may know this but always watch the fish eat before you buy them then you will know that it may be due to a new location if not eatting when you get them home.

Offline Shep

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 21:10:59 »
came home with some bloodworms (from a beta we keep at work), some frozen mysis shrimp and some frozen cyclops...

bloodworms - no real interest

mysis - some interest, not much

cyclops - they go NUTS for this stuff for some reason...  :be happy:

thanks for all the suggestions,
shep

Offline entacmaea

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 21:24:28 »
Garlic additives will increase their appetite too. It may be picking at pods off the rock. Nothing to worry about until it starts showing real signs of malady

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Offline NewAlbanyReefer

• Fry
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 13:25:40 »
It could be one dominating the other is the orange bigger.  I have noticed once they determine the dominate one then all will be good.  I had something simular happen between my black and orange one awhile back.