2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Blue Velvet Damsel  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Blue Velvet Damsel
« on: May 03, 2013, 15:53:53 »
Just how devlish is this fish? I want one, but he will be going in a FOWLR tank with a Valentini Puffer and a Lemonpeel Angel.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 16:03:24 by Boonjob »
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline rancoo

• Adult
Blue Velvet Damsel
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 16:07:45 »
I had one for a while and it was around 3 inches. very colorful when I got it but was basically all black when I got rid of it. I got a coral beauty angel and the damsel chased it around and didn't leave it alone
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline volcano

Re: Blue Velvet Damsel
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 16:46:57 »
I had one and it was "devilish"!  At first, it was black.  Then when it settled in, it was a very pretty blue.  It went after anything slightly bigger, the same size or smaller.  I had to get rid of it.  However, I guess it will depend on the size tank and the amount of live rock it has for hiding.  I have a blue sapphire damsel and it is totally chilled out.  It doesn't mess with any of the tank mates, not even the maroon clown.  I have a cleaner wrasse that will hang out on all the fish and the sapphire damsel doesn't mind it.  Liveaquaria says it has a peaceful temperment, but does warn that it could get aggressive as it ages or if you add multiple damsels.  Although, charlieweaver had several together and they didn't fight.  When I saw them in his tank they were schooling. 

Offline bbtm64

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 17:33:46 »
I think it has a lot to with whether they're wild or tank raised. I've heard of other fish that have aggressive tendencies that do well in groups of 3 or more. Being able to stake their own territory is important too so having lots of places to hide can make a huge difference.
Brent McCloskey

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 18:16:02 »
Thanks fellas.... I am a glutten for punishment, So I am gonna give one a whirl(LOL)... If he is too mean, I will just have to banish him to the sump, where all ill temper fish can do what they do.

My thought is; if I get a big enough Lemonpeel and a small enough Blue velvet and I add the velvet a few days later that they will balance(I know that prolly wont be how it ends up though, haha), Either way I am not too worried about the Lemonpeel, its what he'll do to the puffer that worries me
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank