2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Skimmate Question  (Read 1236 times)

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Skimmate Question
« on: January 27, 2021, 16:35:21 »
I have an ASM skimmer in my sump. I’ve been trying to get it dialed in. Lately I’ve noticed the cup fills with foam and foam seeps out through the lid catches. The foam doesn’t “break down” and drop down as liquid, see photo below. Is the foam too dry? That’s what I’m thinking. If it was better I’d think it would drop to the bottom rather than collecting as foam.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Skimmate Question
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 12:46:29 »
Are there any holes in lid?

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 15:23:29 »
Are there any holes in lid?
No holes per se, but if you look at the pic below you can see the notches and tabs for holding the lid on. That’s where it’s coming out. I’ve raised the output to get wetter foam and it seems to have helped a little. I’m thinking it’s something I’m just gonna have to deal with. My Mini-G wouldn’t over flow there until it was nearly full.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 19:36:47 »
Okay well hopefully you get it dialed in.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 20:09:01 »
There are worse things to worry about!! LOL

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 12:02:10 »
my two cents: refunds avail if i have overcharged,
your skimmate is nicely brown, the bubbles are not popping due to all the protein,  so that is good. dry is when the bubbles pop below the neck but there are enough of them (small dense) to shove the skimmate up the neck and over into the cup. wet is IMO defined by bubbles overflowing into the cup regardless of the size of the bubble.
the fact that yours are huge could be a symptom of the pump not creating enough small bubbles or those bubbles combining into big ones instead of popping. if you lowered the bubble level ,(i do that by lifting the skimmer onto plates and increasing the flow out of the skimmer) then the large bubbles would have room to pop, after a few days of running like that i clear enough of the 'surface tension' and am able to lower the skimmer and get the same results without overflowing the cup.
 this is my impression, i hope it is helpful

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 21:31:35 »
Thanks for your two cents, I won’t request a refund, yet.... So, if I’m reading your thoughts right, I should be doing the opposite, lowering the output tube, not raising it, correct?

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 10:43:08 »
it would be worth a try,