2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: what are the advantages or perks of being a premmember  (Read 6410 times)

Offline Coral Squad

• Adult
what are the advantages or perks of being a premmember
« on: March 01, 2010, 13:08:05 »
do you have like a online library or anything cool or is it just some extra forums  and whats the cost i didnt see it just a pay pal tab??

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
Re: what are the advantages or perks of being a premmember
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 13:19:13 »
Paid Members have access too:

• Club member forums, where sponsors post special deals to members
  • The ability to vote on matter put before the membership
  • The ability to win the raffle items at club meetings
  • Free admission to the frag swap
  • Access to the upcoming club library
  • A larger PM inbox

In the last 9 months, I've won $100 in gift certs alone, a 1000% return on my investment  ;D
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 13:20:48 »
It use to be when we were at liberty to speak freely of things of the heart and soul (God) and what it is to be an American (politics).
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 13:22:25 »
Paid Members have access too:

• Club member forums, where sponsors post special deals to members
  • The ability to vote on matter put before the membership
  • The ability to win the raffle items at club meetings
  • Free admission to the frag swap
  • Access to the upcoming club library
  • A larger PM inbox

And what he said too

In the last 9 months, I've won $100 in gift certs alone, a 1000% return on my investment  ;D

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 13:47:22 »
It use to be when we were at liberty to speak freely of things of the heart and soul (God) and what it is to be an American (politics).

I understand your frustrations, but when we tried to allow open discussions it erupted into arguments and hard feelings. It is a shame that people cannot discuss issues like adults and not erupt into full fledged "wars", but alas they can't so we must limit discussions in those areas.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 14:20:03 »
In the past folks would post items in both the general and member "for sale" forums and make the price a little cheaper for members.

If you plan on checking out a meeting for the fragswap it's a nobrainer  :laugh: the cost is only $10. You get into the fragswapp free ($5) and we give away four $25 gift certifiactes to our sponsors every meeting. You are bound to win one within the first few months
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Kenn

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 15:04:15 »
Also it seems to me that being a member gives you a little more creditability.

For instance, I feel more comfortable making a transaction with a member than a non.

Please, my non-member acquaintances, no slight intended. I was a non-member once :) but after I discovered all the valuable information available on this board as well as the honest willingness by its members in wanting to share information, experiences (successes and failures) as well as on hands help ... !!! ... All I can say is I paid my fees in the hope of helping continue the success and growth of this site and will never count it as money wasted.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 15:42:08 »
...All I can say is I paid my fees in the hope of helping continue the success and growth of this site and will never count it as money wasted.

Very well said Kenn, thanks!
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 16:19:39 »
If you have a reef tanks it's more valuable then people like me who have a FO tank.  Seems like the majority of the stuff given away at the meetings are for reef tanks & it looks like a shop in the Centerville area is no longer sponsors..... so for me it's not worth it to be a paid member any longer. 

If you plan on attending meetings (& have a reef tank) then your $10 will be paid back in very short time.  Last yr when Joel had a meeting at his condo complex I won a 50gal bag of salt...... which I beleive was the only item I could use on my FO tank (O yea, except the NEW RO Unit) so I was more then pleased!!

For me Marine Solutions is now the closest sponsor & they do not carry fish that I am interested in...... they are geared more towards reef stuff which I do not have.  The other shops lister are to far away for me to travel..... & I feel bad winning a $25 or $50 gift card at a shop and only visit that shop to redeem that certificate. I personally would prefer to give it to someone who visits that store often!
300g tub o fish

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 17:01:25 »
its up to you   you can win your money back at the metting and some of the shops give spesal deals for paid memeber some times
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 17:13:11 »
Also it seems to me that being a member gives you a little more creditability.

For instance, I feel more comfortable making a transaction with a member than a non.

Please, my non-member acquaintances, no slight intended. I was a non-member once :) but after I discovered all the valuable information available on this board as well as the honest willingness by its members in wanting to share information, experiences (successes and failures) as well as on hands help ... !!! ... All I can say is I paid my fees in the hope of helping continue the success and growth of this site and will never count it as money wasted.

I would have to agree.  To be clear, paying the club membership fee isn't as much about "unlocking" hidden club features and being all "exclusive" as it is financially supporting something that you believe in.  Although Ohio Reef isn't without its drama from time to time, it is a good organization made up of passionate people who love to help out and share ideas.  I'm not one to join clubs, typically, when I can get what I want/need from a free membership most places, but I was drawn to Ohio Reef because of the collective knowledge, experience, willingness to help, and overall activity of the club.  I'm still getting to know everyone, but I've already made some good friends and hope to be around for awhile.

On another note, the relationships you can sometimes build with the sponsors, since you are able to interact with them directly through Ohio Reef, is invaluable.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 17:31:04 »
Not to mention I've lost weight and grown more hair!

Reefd Up

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 17:38:37 »

Offline Coral Squad

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 17:41:28 »
link is missing or off limits :o

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 17:53:08 »
If you have a reef tanks it's more valuable then people like me who have a FO tank.

The standard raffle is four $25 gift certificates to our sponsors.  And they all have fish and dry goods, food etc.  Reef or not, money is money  ;D  that one meeting was an exception.  Joel had a TON of stuff to give away, definitely above and beyond the normal raffle.  ;D

The link works for me, Its in the Guest section, so everyone should have access to that.

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

lilleigh

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 17:55:01 »

Thats what I get too!

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 17:57:15 »
???? weird, Maybe Gary can chime in here??? everyone should have access to the guest forums, even if you aren't logged in...

Title of the thread is: Newbies - Read here first! (Ohio Reef Overview)

Reefd Up

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 17:57:42 »
OhioReef, would you please double check that link?  It's under Forum - Guest Forums - Welcome - "Newbies - Read here first!"

A club overview thread isn't very useful if newbies can't read it!!  Sorry for the inconvenience everyone!  We'll get it fixed.  

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 21:26:35 »

Should be available to everyone. I will check the permissions.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 21:29:21 »
Fixed!!!

I had it set so only guests and mods saw it. My thought was members would not want the guests forum to show up in their list.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 23:19:46 »
The standard raffle is four $25 gift certificates to our sponsors.  And they all have fish and dry goods, food etc.  Reef or not, money is money  ;D  that one meeting was an exception.  Joel had a TON of stuff to give away, definitely above and beyond the normal raffle.  ;D

I have a wholesale account at Premium Aquatics so I get most of my dry goods from them be it food, pumps, skimmers or anything else (purchased stuff for a few people on here as well) but you are correct, sponsors on this site do have dry good I could use.  With fish some do have what I could use however most do not have aggressive, large enough or just the fish I want to throw in my past 260g or my future presently assembling 475g tank.  I think I have been to 4 or 5 club meetings..... I actually hosted one at my place a while ago (I was thinking of hosting another to show off my FO tank & my 15K gallon koi pond that I am also building).  At the meetings I would give my prize away be it a gift card to one of the sponsors (I won a gift cert to Joels once) or one of the other items that I have won, always for a reef tank but I didn't care, the money went to help run this site.

I have always tried to support the local sponsors of this site who I feel comfortable dealing with even though I do purchase some of my stuff online.   

300g tub o fish

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 23:39:31 »
I understand your frustrations, but when we tried to allow open discussions it erupted into arguments and hard feelings. It is a shame that people cannot discuss issues like adults and not erupt into full fledged "wars", but alas they can't so we must limit discussions in those areas.

Arguments? I do believe that there was much less discontent over what was said about politics and God than what was said about the moderators and leadership.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 23:57:46 »
Arguments? I do believe that there was much less discontent over what was said about politics and God than what was said about the moderators and leadership.

Moderation and leadership are related to the club. Getting people in a fuss over religion and politics is something else entirely. Nothing is more alienating than being on the wrong side of a religious or political debate and alienating members is the worse thing the club could do.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 08:23:47 »
Moderation and leadership are related to the club. Getting people in a fuss over religion and politics is something else entirely. Nothing is more alienating than being on the wrong side of a religious or political debate and alienating members is the worse thing the club could do.
very true
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 13:49:19 »
who is the VP of the club right now?

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 13:50:57 »
who is the VP of the club right now?

Cyberwollf
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 15:25:43 »
I thought slandis was vp?

300g tub o fish

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 15:39:48 »
I thought slandis was vp?

Slandis resigned. Without rehasing it here, let's just say that the VP and President had big issues working togeather.  If possible, I'd like to leave it at that, as we are trying to get the last few months behind us and focus on the getting the club back to the laid back and upbeat club it was. Although I have a feeling the can of worms is about to be reopened.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 15:41:49 »
Didn't mean to open up any worms..... didn't know that happend!

300g tub o fish

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 15:56:27 »
Didn't mean to open up any worms..... didn't know that happend!

Not a problem Viggen, I don't think we realized that that discussion took place in the member only sections.

Cyberwollf is the new VP and I am the new Treasurer.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 16:06:14 »
Not a problem Viggen, I don't think we realized that that discussion took place in the member only sections.

Cyberwollf is the new VP and I am the new Treasurer.

The tresurer swap was in no way because of issues. Rick had been looking for a replacement and JD stepped up

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 17:54:19 »
Another reason to be a member is to see all the secrets, like the above problems!

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 18:08:53 »
Another reason to be a member is to see all the secrets, like the above problems!

I hope that's not a benefit  :) and I hope nothing like the above happens again anytime soon

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 21:27:04 »
I didnt mean to open a can of worms either.  I was a paying member and was involved in the voting and I knew that Slandis (Mike) was the VP but stepped down. Without paying my dues yet  ::) I didnt know who had replaced him.

thanks

Offline Viggen

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 23:36:39 »

I have been a paid member all along.... didn't catch it.  Not even sure when my membership expires..... or if it has already expired

never really liked being a paid member to any club/orginazation when people don't get along..... Many times I have seen people in various organizations I am in not get along & it's never fun, ruins it for everyone!!!!!  Life is just way to short

I never liked the idea of having to pay for being a member anyways especially on a small web based communty like this site .... always thought that's what sponsors are for :) I know if that was the case where sponsors pay to keep the site going I could do group buys every month and donate money to the club :)
300g tub o fish

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010, 07:11:23 »
Club memebrship runs a calendar year. If you are currently a club member there is a note saying so right under your screen name

right now all sponsors are donating LOTS of gift certificates. That way there is something to raffle off each meeting. Therefore, the membership dues are the cash we use for website hosting and nonprofit/tax filings and capital to run the fragswap

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 09:40:34 »
I'm a cheapskate, but the membership fee is negligible and serves as a sort of commitment.  Besides, if everyone who created a free account were eligible for all the group buys and such, our sponsors would likely get bombarded by people taking advantage, with no real stake in the club's or sponsors' well being.  And if someone doesn't want to or cannot pay, they still have access to all the knowledge and experience of the club's members.  Paid membership is simply a mutually beneficial arrangement.