2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Diving Sombrero Reef with Murray Camp  (Read 5446 times)

Offline aquavista99

Diving Sombrero Reef with Murray Camp
« on: June 24, 2012, 21:20:55 »
Just returned from another amazing trip to the Florida Keys. Unlike most trips, the weather was not cooperative and most of my scheduled snorkel/dive trips were cancelled due to bad weather (ie, 5 to 7 feet waves at the reefs with lots of rain). It turns out the reef keeping community is a small world after all. On my first trip out to Sombrero Reef, which is located 6 miles offshore from the Islands of Marathon, I ran into fellow aquarist, speaker and author, Murray Camp of Dallas, Texas. Murray has presented at numerous reef conferences and events around the country, including MACNA XXIII and his articles have appeared in publications such as CORAL Magazine. His most recent articles can be found here:

Probiotics Demystified: http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/probiotics-demystified

Solid Polymers for Nutrient Control: (The article starts on p. 76 - p. 78 of the online edition) http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/digital_launch.aspx?eid=01987090-d3b9-40ca-9c62-559b8278318f

To make a long story short, Murray and I had a great time on Sombrero Reef and we plan to get together again to visit more reefs in the future. Murray is also interested in coming up to Ohio and give one or more presentations, if the club is interested.  His speaking presentations include the follow topics: 1) BIOPELLETS AND OTHER ADVANCES IN PROBIOTIC METHODOLOGIES; 2) GORGONIANS: SELECTION AND HUSBANDRY; 3)  OFFBEAT CORALS; and 4) YOU WANT ME TO PUT WHAT IN MY TANK? - AN OVERVIEW OF PROBIOTIC AND CARBON DOSING METHODOLOGIES.

Here are a few pictures from our 6/2012 trip to Sombrero Reef.  I didn't get a chance to take a lot of underwater photographs on this trip due to the harsh elements, but the reef was amazing as usual. Murray commented about the undertow of current on this trip as well....it was a very windy day with high wave action. Enjoy the pictures and happy reefing to all!!!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Diving Sombrero Reef with Murray Camp
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 21:49:20 »
Thanks for sharing the pictures Tim

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 22:06:46 »
looked like fun
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 22:12:29 »
That would be awsome. I'm to chicken to fly, so pics are the only way I'll ever see this kind of stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 08:55:32 »
Very cool Tim!  Thanks for sharing!

Offline saltyshell

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 09:27:19 »
Nice pics.
 Twizted1 - Drive there. the keys are beautiful. You will appreciate your tank more once you snorkel or dive a reef :)

Offline Viggen

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 09:46:12 »
I also drive..... been in the keys for 10 days now with today being the first day we woke up to the sun shinning!  Like stated 5-7ft + waves...... we are suppose to head north to flagler beach (camping area 20 miles north of daytona) but the tropical storm has forced us to stay here a few more days.  Hopefully it will calm down so we can hit looe key.

Never thought I would teach the kids to body surf at smather beach and Bahia honda
300g tub o fish

Offline The WuSue

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 10:11:41 »
Been really interested in taking up diving, but honestly don't know where to start. Any recommendations on where to get certified?  (Thinking this might be a fun activity to center the Honeymoon around.)

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 10:17:59 »
Been really interested in taking up diving, but honestly don't know where to start. Any recommendations on where to get certified?  (Thinking this might be a fun activity to center the Honeymoon around.)

I can thing of better things to do on that honeymoon  :whistle:

Get it in while you still can, that wedding cake has a wierd side effect of taking it away... BAHAHAHAHAHA  :alas:  :be happy:
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline The WuSue

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 10:51:11 »
Trust me, scuba won't be what the trip is centered around. But it does seem like a great way to cool off after.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 10:51:52 »
True :P lol
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Viggen

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 13:40:47 »
Not sure what scuba options there are up.your way.  There is a good shop close to Wilmington and 675...... you could do all of your pool stuff there then save your open water dive for wherever you take your trip.

I just snorkel and since for the first time in 11 days the winds are under 15mph so hopefully I can take the wife and kids snorkeling.  With some luck I will have some good underwater pics to post up.  They won't be as nice as Tim's but I will sill post them when we get home
300g tub o fish

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 07:32:02 »
SODA souther ohio dive academy.  also I took a class at sinclair and we dove in their large heated pool, and becoming certified was part of the course descrption/price

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 17:15:24 »
been in the keys for 10 days now with today being the first day we woke up to the sun shinning!  Like stated 5-7ft + waves...... we are suppose to head north to flagler beach (camping area 20 miles north of daytona) but the tropical storm has forced us to stay here a few more days.  Hopefully it will calm down so we can hit looe key.

Unfortunately,most of my scheduled reef trips were cancelled due to the weather  as well (ie, wanted to go out to Looe Key Reef again) but the resort we were staying at made up for it ;-)

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 17:16:15 »
Here is an aerial picture of Sombrero reef. The reef gets very shallow near the lighthouse but that portion of the reef is off limits to divers and snorkelers.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 18:53:15 »
This is the resort we stayed at.....rrr... ummm...... in :)

300g tub o fish

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 23:57:21 »
This is my very first attempt at creating a video while visiting Sombrero Reef on June 18, 2012. Beneath the surface lies one of the most magnificent coral reefs in the Middle Keys, home to some of the best spur and groove reef formations in all the Keys. Enjoy the view from above....mother nature's very own wave action reef pool  :)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 00:03:26 by aquavista99 »