2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Pictures Finally...  (Read 6750 times)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Pictures Finally...
« on: November 02, 2006, 22:42:01 »
I actually took some pictures earlier tonight when the lights were on, but when I downloaded them I realized that someone had changed the setting on my camera and most of them were blurry.  Here are a few that turned out so so.

A fewof the caps:

A few SPS:

This one looks white on the ends but it's actually blue/purple like it's supposed to be!

This one is blurry, but I wanted to show the purple that is starting to come back since adding the hamilton lights. It had turned all green:

Tube anemone:

Devils hand:

GBTA:

Urchin:

1 of the 4 side shots. I'll have to work on the other shots and full tank shots.  This is the only one that didn't come out blurry:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 22:52:53 by micki »

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
Re: Pictures Finally...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 23:42:35 »
lookin good... what kinda flow do you have?? scott said youve defenitally got flow, but i just see the return.

is that brown w/blue polyp monti from  eric? i got one from tim who got from eric and within one day of being in my tank it turned pastel purple and still is to this day...

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 00:18:07 »
Lookin good as always Micki. Hows the house coming along?

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 07:18:56 »
Illninio, thanks!  I have a blueline external pump that is used to pump the entire system.  This link shows how the system is set up.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=522147&highlight=micki 

This is the first picture I've had of that monti with blue polyps. In other pictures they you couldn't see anything blue. These hamiltons have really done soem nice things!

Dave Thanks!  As of yesterday, (finally got the carpet in the upstairs bedroom) the house is 99% finished!!!  We bought ceramic tile a few nights ago to put in the upstairs bathrooms. That should be our final thing!   

Charlie

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 13:12:30 »
That should be our final thing!   

And then you get to start over - or at least it seems like that at my house. Things are looking good micki!

bigfalcon36

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 15:42:44 »
Over Thanksgiving I'm coming over Micki...I'll bring my wallet...you bring the frags!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 16:08:50 »
And then you get to start over - or at least it seems like that at my house. Things are looking good micki!

Thanks Charlie! 

This remodel was very unplanned.  Water damage = new kitchen!  :D  I hope it's a long while before we have to do anyting else.  At least inside.  :) 

By the time we are finished we will have done something to every room in the house except our bedroom and the office!  That's 8 out of the 10 rooms!!! 

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 16:09:18 »
Over Thanksgiving I'm coming over Micki...I'll bring my wallet...you bring the frags!

;D

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 18:12:25 »
if that blueline is 1,750gph like i think it is(much more, the overflows wont handle it) that in my opinion is defenitally not a lot of flow... its adequite for a tank but i wouldnt be investing a ton of money in sps without investing money in some more flow... in my tank which is a 125, i had a 1,300gph pump running two penductors(make 5x the flow... they say) sps were doin ok with not a ton of PE. when i added my two MJ mods, everything really improved a lot. i had to put crushed coral down because there was so much flow... but its good for the corals.. also, its kinda cool because in the center of my tank, it makes a little water tornao every 20 seconds and puts  some big bubbles in the water which makes it look like real waves...

bigfalcon36

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 18:20:58 »

By the time we are finished we will have done something to every room in the house except our bedroom and the office!  That's 8 out of the 10 rooms!!! 

Randy told me that you guys have "done something" in every room.  You better recheck your stories...maybe Randy has you confused with someone else.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 18:33:12 »
if that blueline is 1,750gph like i think it is(much more, the overflows wont handle it) that in my opinion is defenitally not a lot of flow... its adequite for a tank but i wouldnt be investing a ton of money in sps without investing money in some more flow... in my tank which is a 125, i had a 1,300gph pump running two penductors(make 5x the flow... they say) sps were doin ok with not a ton of PE. when i added my two MJ mods, everything really improved a lot. i had to put crushed coral down because there was so much flow... but its good for the corals.. also, its kinda cool because in the center of my tank, it makes a little water tornao every 20 seconds and puts  some big bubbles in the water which makes it look like real waves...

I experimented with adding a PH to my main tank once. It made no difference on the SPS that I had it directed to.  I'm more than happy with the flow I have. I do NOT like having any equipment in the main tank.  That's the look I am going for. 

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 18:34:19 »
Randy told me that you guys have "done something" in every room.  You better recheck your stories...maybe Randy has you confused with someone else.

LOL LOL LOL...  You are a HOOT!  I think we have all rooms covered...  ;)

Offline verper

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 21:11:27 »

Your not going to change Micki's mind on flow.  ;) ;D

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 22:34:45 »
Your not going to change Micki's mind on flow.  ;) ;D

You are correct!  ;)

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 22:22:17 »
ask her and she will tell you the mississippi flows through her backyard. :)
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 22:25:46 »
ask her and she will tell you the mississippi flows through her backyard. :)

Heck yeah!  You should see it during hurricane season!   :o

bsinger

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 13:11:50 »
Not sure if I should add this here or start another thread. I turned off my powerheads after seeing Micki's tank on RC hoping to have less equipment in the tank, my SPS corals all closed up and only opened once I turn the pumps back on. I think you really have to have lots of flow for SPS corals

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 13:53:04 »
As I said before...  I put a ph in the tank aimed at a few SPS and left it in there. It did nothing for them.  I don't like a tank full of equipment.  That's not what I prefer to see when I relax and look at my tank.  I'm happy with what I have.  It's a personal preferance and this is mine. 

slandis3

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 14:39:29 »
I wonder if does so well ( it looks great )  because it has gotten used to what most people think in low flow? Things are working good, why add a bunch of ugly power heads and pipes just to have things not like the extra flow. I am going to try the same on my 120.  good amout of flow but not tidal waves. It seems to work great on mickis tank so i am going to try it on mine.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 14:43:31 »
Thanks Slandis.  As I said it works for me. I would love more PE but it doesn't seem to matter what I do, it's not going to happen for me.  The coral look good to me and I guess that's what matters. 

I'm not oposed to others having PH or whatever in their tank.  For me personally, I don't like that look for my tank. As long as anyone is happy with their tank that's all that matters.  :)

bsinger

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 15:42:13 »
I do not like the look either but it seems the coral just do better when I have them on

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 15:44:00 »
As long as you are happy with your tank and I'm happy with mine, who cares what anyone else thinks.  :)

slandis3

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2006, 15:45:30 »
Ill take a pic of my 120g setup and post it on my closed loop post. Hopefully the way i have it set up when i get my love rock in there you will only see the over flow box and very little pipe.

bsinger

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2006, 15:46:25 »
I really am about keeping the animals happy and not me, if I wanted to be happy I would remove the pumps but then the corals are not happy. I want them to live and grow and not die on me.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2006, 15:52:50 »
That would be great slandis!  :) 

bsinger, My animals are happy and so am I.  :)

bsinger

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2006, 21:23:13 »
Cool, I must have miss read those other threads, I will go back and read them again

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2006, 21:30:00 »
Yep you must have...   

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2006, 21:54:20 »
Just need to keep in mind that just because it works for one person does not mean that it will work for someone else. There could other issues at work as well.

One needs to find what works for them and go with that!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2006, 21:55:48 »
Absolutely agree!  That's what makes this hobby so great and at times mysterious.  :) 

bsinger

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2006, 22:35:23 »
Very true ohioreef, I guess to me happy animals **** **** *******
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 22:49:12 by bsinger »

slandis3

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2006, 23:06:28 »
True. There really is no set in stone method when it comes to reefkeeping

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2006, 08:21:56 »
Very true ohioreef, I guess to me happy animals **** **** *******

???

bsinger

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2006, 08:26:49 »
Made a comment that was not good, so instead of starting trouble I edited it

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2006, 08:28:50 »
Ahhhh, good move.   ;)

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2006, 16:19:58 »
Another thought on the topic of flow and why some things work for 1 person and not for another is that the SPS in Micki's tank have prob become acclimated to the amount of flow she has, which would explain why she got less PE when she made a change.  If she added more random flow and observed for a period of months, she might see more PE instead of less.  Bsinger, your situation might be the same... you take away flow, and the impact appears to be negative.  I'm not sure if the initial negative change would be permanent or not. 

Just a thought...
Dayton - 45459

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2006, 19:28:18 »
Might be right.  I.m seeing more since adding the hamiltons.  I also think I have a few nippers as well. 

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2006, 10:46:38 »
Thanks for sharing pictures of your reef, Micki!!! Great job!!!! Maybe now other long time members of this club will also post pictures of their tanks as well. (hint, hint, hint).

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2006, 16:44:25 »
Thanks!

We really need to be better about that.  At least I do.  :)